1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Boycott Arab Gas - Stop Funding Terroism

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Mia, Aug 24, 2005.

1. CyberBrian

CyberBrian Peon

Best Answers:
    debunked,

The most important thing for keeping hydrogen power clean is the sources of the electricity used to create it. Alternative energy sources (solar, geothermal) must grow along with a hydrogen economy in order for it to be truely clean.

That just supports a theory about people I have. (they're dumb ;) ) Just kidding. I don't think people that watch Fox are inherently stupid. If you have an opinion that is different than mine, thats fine, I'm an adult and can deal with it. However, when you push your ideology on the ignorant masses through propoganda techniques I have a problem with it (unless I'm doing it for a campaign I'm working on ;) )

CyberBrian, Aug 24, 2005 IP
  2. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    News is news to me. I take it all with a grain of salt. I just find Fox tends to have better coverage, better stories, especially on the local level here. But I watch MSNBC, CNN, listen to NPR, RUSH, and even some Al Frankin once and a while. He's been on Sundance lately with some new show. Only trouble is every time I turn it on he is talking about the same thing. So I get a bit bored.

I guess I just never understood the Fox thing. Of all the shows I watch it is by far the most objective next to of all things MSNBC :)

Mia, Aug 24, 2005 IP
  3. GTech

GTech Rob Jones for President!

Best Answers:
    In distance, it's about 375 miles to Hereford, from Dallas. However, most Texans measure distance with time. So it would be about a six hour drive.

If you were to come up this way from Dallas, I'd be more than happy to meet up. We have some mean Mexican food here :)

GTech, Aug 24, 2005 IP
    J.P likes this.
  4. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Ah, 9/11. Took some money... Keeping the key guys on the run, fed, sheltered, and hidden? Takes money.

In the long run, yes. In the short term however, getting away from dependance is crucial to this goal.

Mia, Aug 24, 2005 IP
  5. CyberBrian

CyberBrian Peon

Best Answers:
    I went cold turkey on cable news coverage, I try to stick to the wires/net. Occasionally I'll tune in to see images/video of something. Most of what I see from cable news is on the Daily Show, though :)

J.P likes this.
  6. GTech

Best Answers:
    Ah, like the New York Times (non coverage of Kerry's treason and Christmas in Cambodia), MSNBC, ABC, NBC, CBS (oh boy did we see CBS shine), the LA Times, etc. I see what you are saying ;)

GTech, Aug 24, 2005 IP
  7. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I'd be more than happy to if I every get that close :)

I've got a trade show coming up down in the Ft Worth area, schedules tight, so I wouldn't have time for a 6 hour drive.

Mia, Aug 24, 2005 IP
  8. CyberBrian

CyberBrian Peon

Best Answers:
    Exactly, but don't try to get away with saying the media is liberal (or conservative for that matter). Its profit driven, whatever people want to read/watch is what they report on.

9. stuw

stuw Peon

Best Answers:
    But not millions, which is my point I think.

stuw, Aug 24, 2005 IP
  10. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Let's talk serious.

1- Oil is not only used in cars, applications are varied and different.

2- The world present situation is as follows

TOS= Total Oil Supply
    TNS= Total Non-Muslim Supply
    TMS= Total Muslim-Middle East supply
    TOS= TNS+TMS

TOD= Total Oil Demand
    TND= Total Non-American Demand
    TAD= Total American Demand
    TOD= TND+TAD

Supply up---> price down
    Demand down ------> price down

Supply down ---> price up
    Demand up----> price up

Price is decide when Demand=Supply or at present time:

Demand side:

TAD=TNS+TMS
    TND=TNS+TMS

Supply side:

TNS=TAD+TND
    TMS=TAD+TND

Now let's imagine that American decide not to buy the middle east oil, the supply and demand changes to following for Americans:

TAD=TNS
    TNS=TAD+TND
    TMS=TND

The supply side has gone done while the demand side is constant for non middle east oil, the price of oil goes up for Americans which causes inflation and slow down of economy in USA

On the other hand for non-American economy it changes as follows

TND=TNS+TMS
    TMS= TND
    TNS= TAD+ TND

The supply side is constant but demand for Non-middle east oil has gone down which causes a lower price of oil for Non-American companies, which results in economical expansion

This process while very beneficial for American oil companies (what a surprise) since they can demand even higher price without any extra cost of production (as they are doing now at $60 /barrel) will result in even faster economic destruction for USA's economy.

The lesson learned: What is good for American oil company and it's shareholders are not necessary good for USA as country.

gworld, Aug 24, 2005 IP
  11. CyberBrian

CyberBrian Peon

Best Answers:
    This is a good point. You can't make lip balm or plastic with refined hydrogen. ;)

12. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, and if you dont much like algebra, just buy a hybrid for now..

Design Agent, Aug 24, 2005 IP
  13. GTech

Best Answers:
    Let me guess, bash the US and Israel?

GTech, Aug 24, 2005 IP
  14. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Very intelligent, well thought, articulate and to the point, nothing less was expected of great Gtech. :rolleyes:

Now can you explain what this got to do with anything in my previous posting regarding the laws of supply and demand?

gworld, Aug 24, 2005 IP
  15. sachin410

sachin410 Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Its nice to find patriotic people. :).

But I dont really think this idea can work.

First of all US is buying Crude because US needs it. Its not beer that you will stop drinking it and the beer shops will close down.

If you start buying gas only from companies that dont import oil, the surge in demand will force them to import too.

I think a better alternative will be to reduce the actual use of petrol (gas as the americans call it).

If US starts making more efficient cars and bikes (smaller and less powerful) it can reduce its demand by a large amount. Here in India many bikes give 150 miles to a gallon....yes thats right 150 miles to a gallon. I dont think any such bikes are found in developed countries.

Another thing that can be done is developing a better public transport system in US. Unlike Britain and other European countries, US lacks a proper public transport system consisting of buses and trains.

Today crude oil prices have touched a new all time high. Everyone knows as winter comes closer the demand for crude oil..especially heating oil is going to go up. I wouldnt be surprised crude breaches 90$ a barrel this december.

Oil may be sponsoring terrorism, but if not oil, terrorists will find an alternative way. Look at Afghanistan. It got no money. So terrorists found a source of funding in poppy fields. Narcotics has become a big business for them now.

US needs a mix of more tolerance and a planned economic development to move ahead, else it wont be too long (20-30 years) before countries like China will move ahead of it.

sachin410, Aug 24, 2005 IP
  16. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    I doubt the prices will exceed $75/barrel in the U.S. during this administration. Bush wants his friends to make money, but the economy will falter if gas prices reach more than $4/gallon so quickly - and it will be a rough sell to elect another president from the party that doubled our gas prices.

Lowering prices can be done with negotiation. If that does not work, we can increase production or flood the market with existing reserves. Gas prices could be lower, but they don't need to be lower right now.

Don't forget that we've also allowed for drilling in mass areas in Alaska that have previously been untouched. Sustaining high prices will insure profitability for those companies quicker - meaning more jobs, more money churning in the economy, and more happy americans. Albeit at an environmental sacrifice, but that decision has already passed.

Canadian oil "cleaning" has recently achieved new levels of efficiency as well, so there are plenty more players in the game besides the middle east. (They dig up big chunks of mud, saturate it with water, send it through a pipeline and then clean out the mud and water at a treatment plant) We typically buy more from outside the country than we produce, but that's just because it's cheaper and better for our environment - not because we don't have the resources.

If people really cared or wanted cleaner running cars, we would have them by now. I suspect we will in the next 50 or so years, but there's no hybrid that drives like a ferarri and the only SUV hybrid has poor cargo space and crappy mileage anyways.

Existing hybrids don't get nearly as good mileage as they are rated unless you drive like a grandma. In fact, for a lot of drivers they end up being the same as or worse than their old vehicles - except they are slower, more expensive, and more complicated.

nevetS, Aug 24, 2005 IP
    J.P likes this.
  17. Arnie

Arnie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oh yes, let them use the remains of Eden (oil) alone and let us build another one.:D :D :D

Arnie, Aug 25, 2005 IP
  18. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    I just finished wathcing "No Waste like Home" on BBC2. Basically they took a family that drives everywhere and had them choose alternatives. There were the obvious like bikes, bus's and walking but they had the one guys diesel camper van converted to run on cooking oil/ or diesel.

He collected the excess oil from the chipper and had free recycled fuel.

They also showed the hydrogen stations in Germany where you can easily fuel up. The car runs cleanly and dead quiet for 200 miles with a top speed of 80 miles an hour. It was plenty impressive.

The small family saved £90 a fortnight on petrol costs with no loss of convenience.

I don't own a car (sold my last car many years ago) but I would consider getting one if hydro power was available here.

Its a crime the government doesn't throw their full support behind it. Terror doesn't need to be the motivation when common sense will do

yfs1, Aug 25, 2005 IP
  19. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    Met some hippie once that used the fryer grease to run the VW love wagon. He said the only got turned down once.

ServerUnion, Aug 25, 2005 IP
  20. Sorvoja

Sorvoja Don't hide my ads!

Best Answers:
    I didn't read the first post since it is blocked my ignorelist, but the idea from the title is very good. Boycot the Middle East oil, find alternative sources of energy or do some drilling in Alaska. It will significantly lower the gas prices in most of the world!

Sorvoja, Aug 25, 2005 IP