1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Vista is irritating

Discussion in 'Bing' started by Maneel, Apr 18, 2007.

There has been so much hype about Windows Vista security. Here’s my take at the latest OS from the Microsoft stable:

1) There are no major Vista viruses as of now, so we can not really judge.

2) So much of checks on operations irritate me.

When I move a file, Windows Vista asks me twice if I was the one who initiated the move operation. Security should be an internal procedure of an OS. But windows Vista puts its completely on the user. A virus can defeat these checks easily too, so Microsoft needs to remove the checks on the user side & make the OS stronger & faster, for that matter.

http://cmsbay.com/blog/2007/04/16/when-security-irritates/

Maneel, Apr 18, 2007 IP
  2. Le GoogelGuRu

Le GoogelGuRu Guest

Best Answers:
    You can disable User Account Control (UAC) if you don't like it.

I don't find Vista irritating. I like it much better than XP. The interface is much more streamlined and games such as World of Warcraft work fine.

Le GoogelGuRu, Apr 18, 2007 IP
  3. jquindlen

jquindlen Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Maneel, all you're doing here is promoting your blog posts. Your other thread is the same. As Le GoogelGuRu pointed out, it's very easy to disable UAC, which is the first thing I did when I installed Vista. I hate Microsoft (and Google for that matter) but Vista runs much better on my system than XP did, thanks to Aero.

jquindlen, Apr 18, 2007 IP
  4. PokerCardEnt

PokerCardEnt Guest

Best Answers:
    Windows sucks, always has. Mac used to suck, now it rocks. And if you want your zomg precious pc games, keep a partition.. go mad.

PokerCardEnt, Apr 18, 2007 IP
  5. DNhub

DNhub Guest

Best Answers:
    It's taking me some time to get use to it, but I surely like the GUI IMO

DNhub, Apr 18, 2007 IP
  6. emilbus20

emilbus20 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah vista sux. Im giving it at least a year. I gave IE7 another chance and it just sux!! Sometimes it remembers passwords sometimes it doesnt. Oops dont open up too many tabs it will crash. Sux sux sux. Now people call me up and say hey my computer is running real slow all of a sudden, Did you install ie7? Yeah as a matter of fact I did!!!! ugh!!!!!!

emilbus20, Apr 18, 2007 IP
  7. exponent

exponent Peon

Best Answers:
    Amen. I'm glad someone else agrees that Mac OS rocks.

exponent, Apr 18, 2007 IP
  8. samtown13

samtown13 Guest

Best Answers:
    Haha anyone seen those Apple commercials with the PC who has Vista security? I think that sums this up perfectly. Vista security is so damn iritating. Macs are the way to go.

samtown13, Apr 18, 2007 IP
  9. Le GoogelGuRu

Le GoogelGuRu Guest

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I just noticed the link he posted was his site.

But anyway, I didn't disable UAC because it's not horribly annoying for me and any extra security I'll keep; whether it really helps or not.

Le GoogelGuRu, Apr 19, 2007 IP
  10. Schappster

Schappster Peon

Best Answers:
    Mac = Amazing

Jason

Schappster, Apr 19, 2007 IP
  11. Le GoogelGuRu

Le GoogelGuRu Guest

Best Answers:
    Macs are nice, but I think I'll be sticking with Windows for a long while yet.

Le GoogelGuRu, Apr 19, 2007 IP
  12. chewbacca

chewbacca Peon

Best Answers:
    I use both Mac OS and Windows, and as far as I can tell, if you're not ignorant or stupid, you don't need all this "security." I have UAC turned off too, and there aren't as many annoying dialog boxes anymore. A nice software firewall could be used to monitor in/out activity, but most places have hardware firewalls (even like simple ones in routers) that take care of many things.

Also, Maneel, I think your first point applies to Macs too. So if your stance/argument is based solely on those two, it isn't very strong...

emilbus20, why do you even use IE? :p Don't give IE 6 a chance, and don't give IE 7 a chance!

Mac OS X and Windows Vista rock about the same. :)

chewbacca, Apr 21, 2007 IP
  13. PokerCardEnt

PokerCardEnt Guest

Best Answers:
    Vista is a cheap imitation of Mac OS X.

Gadgets? are they kidding?

Microsoft can do whatever they want as far as I'm concerned, but it's never as good as the original. I was a Windows user for a while until one day I got sick of the viruses, crashing, and just overall slow crap. I turned to Mac and I swear I will never buy another PC again.

GO MAC!

PokerCardEnt, Apr 21, 2007 IP
  14. Mesoc

Mesoc Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've had vista for about a week now, no complaints from me. Only thing is, I'm use to windows xp, and it seems more complicated when trying to locate and move files around. They're harder to find than with xp.

Mesoc, Apr 21, 2007 IP
  15. PoohBear88

PoohBear88 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Just watch, Mac is going to flop, lol.

PoohBear88, Apr 21, 2007 IP
  16. PokerCardEnt

PokerCardEnt Guest

Best Answers:
    lmao. Just watch, Vista is going to .. oh wait, it already has flopped.
    It's just as crappy as XP in terms of security.. if you can call a windows pc secure..
    The features in Vista are cheap imitations of the innovative UI in Tiger.

You have no idea what you're talking about. So in response to your incredibly dumb comment..

Just watch in October, Leopard will reign supreme to Vista. Perhaps not in sales, but in ease of use, productivity, and security by far.

PokerCardEnt, Apr 21, 2007 IP
  17. Jade456

Jade456 Peon

Best Answers:
    Part of the problem with Vista is that they are putting on pc's that can barely run the resource hog. Instead of releasing a slimmer, more streamlined os they released an overbloated, resource hog that is just a patched up XP build with steriods.

Jade456, Apr 21, 2007 IP
  18. swapnil90

swapnil90 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can turn those features off...In the control panel --> Users...

Then it wont irritate you :rolleyes:

Its callers UAC

swapnil90, Apr 21, 2007 IP
  19. chewbacca

chewbacca Peon

Best Answers:
    Jade456, I agree with your argument, but I think Apple could also add an option to do away with all of those special effects in Mac OS X. What if I don't want shadows or little wheel of fortune? What if I want stuff squared at the top and not rounded? What if I don't want animated windows? I'm not as advanced of a Mac user as I am a Windows one, but I still can't find any options to disable special things.

PokerCardEnt, the posts you made in this thread make you sound like a Mac fanboy. :p I've been using Windows for a while now, and I haven't gotten a virus yet. I think security depends on the user. If you're talking strictly about viruses, how about I go create my own OS? It'll be so underused that nobody wants to make a virus for it (but I don't get why people make viruses anyway).

Of course there will be crashes in Windows, but nothing is perfect. My Mac's had its share of crashes as well, probably because I try to use it like a PC. :D Mac OS X crashes programs one at a time and repeatedly (iMovie really frustrated me one time when I couldn't continue a project for a class and had to start over), although less frequently. I think most crashes under Vista are due to bad backward compatibility and 32-bit emulation, in which case I can blame Microsoft.

I think Mac OS X will always inherently be easier to use if introduced to a new computer user. Everything is pretty much made to spec, and it's pretty uncustomizable compared to Windows machines. If only Microsoft made the PCs that Windows ran on, it might be a different story, with Windows being regarded as more "stable" and "secure" and with another super-corporation dominating the market with its vulnerable, crash-prone, but more widely supported OS. :D

Some of Vista's features are imitations, but what else can it do? Almost everything has an imitation of some sort. What disappointed me most was that the things like WinFS were not done, even with the huge delays. I was kind of bummed to hear about the Leopard delay. At least it's not as huge as Vista's was, but Apple seems to care less about the OS than iPhone.

For me, nothing reigns supreme. My computers are a happy circle of friends. :) Each has its own use.

chewbacca, Apr 21, 2007 IP
    The Webmaster likes this.
  20. syedwasi87

syedwasi87 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Vista is streamlined that i agree..but this u must agree that it requires new hardware..coz Xp i was running on my old HP 8760 which was meant for win98..but Vista wont even work properl on the current 2.6 gigs windows machines i have got....they need ram upgrades..and graphics upgrade...

wont u agree?

syedwasi87, Apr 21, 2007 IP