1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to write a Stumble bot

Discussion in 'Programming' started by officialboss, Apr 20, 2007.

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some guidance on writing a bot that would click on the Stumble websites.

I have some experience with vb.Net. Not sure how I would go about writing something that would progressive click on the Stumble button on Firefox toolbar. Is it going to be a console application that uses a webclient?

Thanks in advance
    Jes

officialboss, Apr 20, 2007 IP
  2. jimrthy

jimrthy Guest

Best Answers:
    Do you mean for the StumbleUpon toolbar?

If that's the case, the only way I can think of would be something like Office's macro recorder. Start you browser, start recording, click the button, stop recording, then play it back in a loop. But you'd need to do all kinds of low-level iccky Windows event handling stuff (unless you could convince stumbleupon to release their API).

Maybe you could track the request/response stream that happens when you do click that button? Then throw together a console app that mimics the stream?

Maybe I'm being really dumb, and this would be extremely easy to do using Windows Scripting. I've never played with that, so I have no idea.

Good luck!

jimrthy, Apr 21, 2007 IP
  3. MattD

MattD Peon

Best Answers:
    Go and download Wireshark and see what the stumble upon button actually does as far as HTTP is concerned.

I suspect all it does is send a HTTP GET to some like "stumble.php" and gets a URL to visit as a response. You can easily recreate this with the HTTP classes in .net.

MattD, Apr 21, 2007 IP
  4. officialboss

officialboss Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the ideas guys, really appreciate your input.

officialboss, Apr 22, 2007 IP
  5. commandos

commandos Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It would also be nice to write a MyBlog bot :D

commandos, Apr 22, 2007 IP
  6. bizee_nuffin_nuffin

bizee_nuffin_nuffin Peon

Best Answers:
    yes i agree, i found a site just them for a bot, worth their weight in gold till the accounts banned.

bizee_nuffin_nuffin, Jul 23, 2008 IP