1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Acceptable html page size ?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by iskandar, Aug 23, 2005.

I need help determining what is an acceptable page size, nowadays.

I always stick to the under 40 Kb per page (including all images) but I am working on a new site that has to feature lots of picture for every page. The best i can do is to keep it somewhere around 90 Kb.

I know it won't be a prob for ppl who use broadband but would this size be acceptable for slower modem users?

I have been looking at big sites and it appears that their pages are sometimes quite big ( over 100 Kb ), so IMHO, it might be okay.

But I need opinion from others. Can anybody give their thoughts on this?

iskandar, Aug 23, 2005 IP
  2. toocoolforschool

toocoolforschool Peon

Best Answers:
    A smart guy at WMW put together a guide about how to make big bucks with a brand new site, and his biggest point was that you should keep all files UNDER 10K to faciliate faster page load time.

Myself, I've always surpassed it. I just like graphics too much. :)

toocoolforschool, Aug 23, 2005 IP
  3. iskandar

iskandar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Under 10 K? Wow! so it's all text and almost no pics? What about site that needs to show catalogs of products?

4. North Carolina SEO

North Carolina SEO Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you want to keep the page under 10K...keep them r-e-a-l s-m-a-l-l !!! :rolleyes:

North Carolina SEO, Aug 23, 2005 IP
  5. iskandar

Best Answers:
    he .. he .. that's what i thought! as big as dots ..

So, do you guys think 80-90 Kb page is acceptable for page that features catalogs of say paintings ?

6. brittanyk

brittanyk Peon

Best Answers:
    10k? my <head> = 10K

brittanyk, Aug 23, 2005 IP
  7. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    If you are using gzip or deflate compression on your webserver you will be better off regarding dial-up users. You would be surprised how many people out there still use AOL, etc.

straight up a 90K file will take 14 seconds on a 56K modem - 28 seconds at 28.8 and I believe those times are at optimum speed which is rarely if ever achieved.

If you use compression and see, say a 70% size reduction (fairly common for text, but you're not going to gain any advantage by compressing images) a 56K modem would grab your page in 3 seconds, 7 seconds for a 28.8 modem - still a long time, but short enough that the user probably won't just click away.

Think about it from an end user's point of view - would you wait around 14 seconds for each page on your site to load? If it's images that are causing the size issue, then use width and height properties so their download does not prevent your page from displaying - and avoid using big images in css (or use mod_expire) because IE will not cache css images (unless you do something like in this thread. Here's another thread I put together about using php to compress your pages In apache 2.0 mod_deflate is a cakewalk to set up, but it's a little more difficult in 1.3x using mod_gzip and on IIS I'm not sure what the options are.

I've been working on some speed optimization and the difference is amazing if you pay attention to it. A 3-4 second page load time is no big deal for me normally, but I've taken my 3-4 second (broadband) page to almost instant on my test server. I think it will really help with user retention for dial up users. Server load is a bit of an issue with compression, but IMO it will be negated by the decrease in page load times. Bandwidth is relatively cheap and most web developers have broadband connections so people don't think about compression or page size a lot.

nevetS, Aug 24, 2005 IP
    iskandar likes this.
  8. iskandar

Best Answers:
    Super help nevetS,

Thanks for the reply and links. Looking at those methods now to see if they fit my plans. Appreaciate the help

iskandar, Aug 24, 2005 IP