1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is this under the rules? I guess not!

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by eduardomaio, Aug 19, 2005.

1. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    I am talking about your directory search that spams about 15 ads on a non-result and instead of telling you that you did not find anything actually claims you found something and then spams you with ads.

Try any search that is not anything in your directory.

If someone types a word in that is not in your directory, the only impression you get is that you are just the ad spam king of arizona.

I guess it doesn't matter if you don't intend anyone to actually use your directory.

You are right it is different with a valid search, but since the first time I tried something it was apparently not in the directory, what was I to know.

Don't blame me, blame your sucky search ad spam return.

You can call it not shady all you want. I type in a search time and get told I have 6 results and then get a bunch of "sponsored links" then some adsense ads, and then some more bogus ads that have nothing to do with my search.. well if it walks like a duck and spams like a duck it is a duck.

Not to mention I don't even know how you get adsense ads on your page without any content. Doing an invalid search yields absolutely zero content on the page. There is NOTHING on the page to write ads from except other ads.

I have attached a copy of your page source after doing a bogus search on your directory. Please tell me where the content is on that page. Taking my one word bogus search term and putting it into description and keyword fields is not content.

My only reaction to your site, besides to complain that is spammy is simply not to use it.. That is all. I found it extremely off-putting. I originally went there to ad some sites to your directory. I did a search first to see if a particular site was listed. And I got all that nonsense.

Listen, you might have the best directory site on the internet. The experience I had, however, did not show it to me. Like I said I went there to do something specific and was turned off enough to simply leave because of the way the site behaved. Take that feedback for what it is worth.

Attached Files:

aeiouy, Aug 19, 2005 IP
    Homer likes this.
  2. eduardomaio

eduardomaio Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know Pete, is the site yours? I was browsing their website and saw a banner for car covers, so I clicked it and went to that page... "Please select a car cover company below:"...

Oh, what car cover company? I clicked on the banner and was expecting to see either some information or some car covers to buy, but found an Adsense ad and nothing more...

Not a cheater? Yeah, sure and I'm Schummy and I drive a formula 1 Ferrari for a living...

eduardomaio, Aug 21, 2005 IP
  3. GADOOD

GADOOD Peon

Best Answers:
    He's breaching policy just like you are by artificially inflating your search rankings using Link Vault. Shall we all go about reporting everyone for doing anything wrong, in any shape or form? It's not for us to decide or inform Google about. It's really not. It's their system and if they wish advertisers and publishers alike to keep using Adwords & AdSense then they will have it in the bag.

I didn't like the idea of 'TIPS' - that American government scheme banded about a while back we're citezens and employee's of certain firms (couriers eg. DHL) would spy on their neighbours or homes they we're visiting and report any mistermeaners or 'suspicious activity', assigning thousands of Americans as these 'TIPS' spys. It's not good for the soul and the idea that it 'helps clean the system' is rediculous and lacks sense, with (in my opinion) righteous indignation and ego's being more then likely the real reason some feel it nessasary to report policy breakers.

I like that old cliche 'Mind your own business' and think people should just get on with their own websites and do just that.

Pete

GADOOD, Aug 21, 2005 IP
    Mia likes this.
  4. Crusader

Crusader Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok let me get this straight. If you walk down the road and see someone breaking into another person's house, you wouldn't call the police, cause it's the police's duty to catch criminals, not yours?

Crusader, Aug 21, 2005 IP
  5. unTangled

unTangled Peon

Best Answers:
    There's no victim there. If you saw someone stealing money out of someone's purse, you would (or at least should) report it. In this case there is a victim: the advertiser. You claim a few reports to google won't make a difference - the more of us that report this, the less likely it is that people will cheat as there is a bigger chance of getting caught.

unTangled, Aug 21, 2005 IP
  6. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    Very bogus comparison. How is joining LV artificially inflating rankings??? If you have spent days, months, years building up your online presence and can weigh in at DP or LV to share cyber real estate WTF not? How is this breaching any terms. Your simply taking your earned weight/ vaultage and promoting the product/ service you want to sell.
    No, but if you saw a poor old lady getting her purse snatched on the street corner and the theif comes running by you do you stick your foot out or move aside and let him go?

I'm not sure about you but I make 4-5 digits monthly from AS and spend more than that on AdWords. These 2 programs are my precious gems and I'll do everything I can to keep it that way...I'll stick my foot out EVERY time!

EDIT: OPPS sorry crusader I read your post after I wrote my comment, funny how great minds think alike :)

Homer, Aug 21, 2005 IP
  7. danimal

danimal Active Member

Best Answers:
    i believe that the tips program was suggested by ashcroft, who was eventually booted out of the government, and his program is d.o.a.: http://www.thememoryhole.org/policestate/tips-changes.htm

it also looks like the url that started this thread is no longer using adsense, so justice was served on both counts ;-)

danimal, Aug 21, 2005 IP
  8. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    How can your understanding remain so inadequate? I want your DOR from the ADsense program if you don't wise up a bit. There are things that are against the TOS. There are against the TOS because they hurt the program. What you are talking about is none of the above.

How in any shape or form is this the same thing? It isn't of course. You really can't be this ignorant.

Clearly you view adsense as a game. If you took your regular job this lightly, I would find it hard to think you could hold any position that was not menial.

All these mind your own business and don't worry about anyone else is nice if you live in candyland.

aeiouy, Aug 21, 2005 IP
  9. GADOOD

GADOOD Peon

Best Answers:
    It seems you're under the same illusion as the others who go about reporting policy breachers.

Google has it in the bag and shall continue to develop ways to minimize the breaches.

It's certainly a nice, heart-warming thought that the mars bar wrapper you picked out of a mountain of litter has some impact, but leave it to the garbage men.

Reporting them as you wish - you're pissing in the wind, and as I'll always maintain, it's always best to mind your own business in that which doesn't concern you, especially if your reasons and beliefs behind poking your nose in are bunk or senseless.

AdSense can withstand and protect against undesirables. I think you're entertaining some kind of insane paranoia were that if you don't report every nasty then you will lose your double figure revenue. Don't sweat it, just get on with your business. /We/ publishers don't need to do anything but drive traffic to our sites and keep them clean.

Pete

GADOOD, Aug 21, 2005 IP
  10. syedwasi87

syedwasi87 Active Member

Best Answers:
    i think its much better if we inform them..about any TOS violations...

syedwasi87, Aug 21, 2005 IP
  11. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    You clearly don't understand how things work, nor do you have a clue of how the adsense program works or how google monitors and maintains it. They spent very few man-hours, relatively speaking. The automate everything they can. They don't have lots of people out there looking at sites for violations. They do have people that go out and check on ocassion but it is a miniscule number compared to the number of adsense publishers, even the ones that know it is important to contribute to the program.

Whatever... I just can't wait until you find some other hobby to occupy your time and you leave adsense. Your attitude is detrimental to the program.

Of course it is ALWAYS best to mind your own business. I could only list 500,000 examples of when that is not true.

How and why? You give Google way too much credit. I have set it before, but I continue to be astounded by your naivety.

Nobody ever said they were doing that. People simply said if they were made aware of a violator they would report them. That is responsible and intelligent behavior.

Naive Naive Naive Naive

Seriously, have you ever run any kind of other business before you got involved in Adsense?

aeiouy, Aug 22, 2005 IP
    debunked and GuyFromChicago like this.
  12. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    The best thing GADOOD can do right now is let this thread die. Otherwise green will turn red. I agree with you aeiouy. I can respect most people's opinion but NOT his.

Homer, Aug 22, 2005 IP
  13. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Well then with all due respect, you do not know what you are talking about. There are not 15 spam ads anywhere on our site. We are using Google AdSense on a very minimalist basis, along with not more than 8 "Sponsored Links", only 5 of which are running currently. As stated before they come up at the end of every search and or category listing that is populated. If nothing is there, they will still show. People actually pay money for this.

I guess it depends on what you are searching for. If it is something that is not in the directory, then noting will show up. I did not write the script. The script should likely say "no results", however the sponsored links are still gonna show. It is not spam. They are clearly labeled as "Sponsored Links".

Ok, now we are getting somewhere. All you had to do was say that when I asked you on the other thread. I always ask for advice, welcome comments and suggestions. I am very flexible that way and have had a lot of positive feedback about the directory because of it.

So had you said, "hey, the directory results for a search that has no results showing should say something like "No Results" "Please Search Again". That would have been the adult thing to do.

Instead you call me the "ad spam king of arizona." I'm not sure what that means, I'm not from Arizona and I am not a spammer.

What exactly is your problem?

People actually do use it.

There have been 628,069 Requests for individual pages, not hits, but actual page request this month. At some point we will likely post Search Data so that those that submit links can see just what people search for, and what results come up the most frequently.

That perhaps your search yielded no results? According to you, what you were to know was that I am a "spam king".

This is pretty childish. Why not just respond to me when I asked you specifically what you thought was wrong and I would have bent over backwards to fix the problem.

I am going to do that today BTW, I am adding a "No Results" "Please Try Your Search Again".

See how easy that was?

What on earth are you talking about? It's not spam. They are called "Advertisements". Say it with me "ad - ver - tise - ments" People pay money for a "Sponsored Link". They are supposed to show up with all other search results, but are not at the top of the list, they are at the bottom. They are labeled as "Sponsored Links", and again, like the Google Adsense ads are pretty minimalist.

Spam has become such an iconic word that everyone seems to see everything and anything as spam, all the while being completely ignorant of it's definition. I have been doing what I do for almost 9 years now, I'm not spamming anyone.

As to the search portion of the script, again, I did not write the script. I am however going to modify it to include a "No Results" "Please Try Your Search Again" just for you. Personally I think this is a great idea. Without input of other people using the directory I may never have seen this problem. So thank you for bringing it to my attention. I just would have liked it if you would have done it in a more mature and respectful way.

I guess you are saying you are a duck then? What are you saying? I really cannot tell. Seems to me that you have some type of grudge. Why not take your comments off the thread and PM me if you have a personal problem with me. I'm not spamming and you know that. That or you again, have no idea what spam is.

Without content? What are you talking about? The entire site is packed with content. What is your problem?

Then don't use it. That is why it is not nor can the site ever be considered SPAM or spammy. But you know that.

Hey, had you listed your sites would there still have been non-sense or no results? No, you would've had the top spot in an empty category.

BTW: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=spam

If you have a bad experience you have two options I guess:

1. Storm off like a 2 year old and throw a fit.
    2. Contact the site owners and offer them some insight into why you had a bad experience and ask what they are willing to do to make it better.

You choose option one in this case, so you have no one to complain to but yourself.

Had you actually given me feedback rather than choosing to publicly bash the site and make spam allegations, I suppose I might have been a bit less defensive.

In any case I appreciate the suggestion, (though I had to beat it out of you) and will fix the problem today. As always if there are comments and suggestions about our directory, or even complains, PLEASE do let us know about it :)

Mia, Aug 22, 2005 IP
    debunked likes this.
  14. bluelarva

bluelarva Peon

Best Answers:
    To GADOOD,

Why are you so incensed about people reporting obvious fraud to Google? Why are you on their case about what they do? Aren't you perhaps being a hyppocrit by getting into their business about how they decide to spend their time? Why are you trying so hard to convince others that reporting fraud is just a waste of time or uncool? I respectfully disagree with you that other people commiting fraud is other people's business and I should just ignore them. If they are cheating, it hurts the advertisers and other AdSense users that are trying to make an honest living. It is in my interest to report them if I see fraud.

bluelarva, Aug 22, 2005 IP
    debunked and GuyFromChicago like this.
  15. GADOOD

GADOOD Peon

Best Answers:
    ..Fraud?

Anyway, how many people of those reporting policy breachers are making sites for AdSense, breaching policy themselves? Handy how this is over-looked isn't it..

Look, I'm done with this thread. I've said my opinion on it. Do as you wish people, and the next time you report a 'policy breacher' and you're about to create another site with the intention of using it for AdSense revenue, clean or not, check that policy out again eh?

Pete

GADOOD, Aug 22, 2005 IP
  16. bluelarva

bluelarva Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been researching these AdSense TOS violators and it comes in all different sizes. There are the usual click ring where bunch of people are clicking eachother's ads. My current focus is spammers. They first build this useless site with bunch of links and an AdSense ads. Up till this point they are just lame and pathetic but there is no apparent fraud. Here comes the fun part. They then spam the blogs or create a bogus blogs with links to draw traffic and perhaps raise the ranking on search result. This is obviously TOS violation for both AdSense and blog site TOS. And yes.. This is fraud and if you care about size of the check coming from Google, you should report them.

bluelarva, Aug 22, 2005 IP
  17. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Mia, Aug 23, 2005 IP
  18. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    No it is not off topic. Try leaving your name next time...

Mia, Aug 23, 2005 IP
    GuyFromChicago and Homer like this.
  19. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    Mia: Don't you just hate that rep system :rolleyes:? Anytime I give 'red' (rarely) I make it a point to sign it with explaination. Some folks just don't have the jam to sign it! Your post WAS on topic. If the person that red repped you would have read the entire thread they would have realized that it was on topic.

Homer, Aug 23, 2005 IP
    GuyFromChicago likes this.
  20. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I know. I do not minda red rep, especially if I am an ass, because let's face it, I can come off that way sometimes. But it would be nice if those that do would take credit for it.

Either way, I just wanted to let anyone else on this post know that we did what we could thanx to aeiouy and his suggestions we have removed link/adverts, etc., from our search results. And have further listed that there were no search results if there were none. Thank you for realizing it was part of this thread and discussion. Personally I think aeiouy's comments helped, and since the topic of discussion here centered around spam and what is and is not appropriate, it seemed to apply.

In any event thank you for that! Take care!

Mia, Aug 23, 2005 IP