1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I wish Google drop DMOZ

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by tivnet, Sep 1, 2004.

1. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    To l234244

I'm not a Meta, but I recognize your name from another forum, reasons for removal are not available to other editors so I can't tell for sure why you were removed. But I remember looking at your editor logs, and there seemed to be good reasons just on your editing. Don't ask me about what I saw, since I can't tell you.

I do wish there was a policy to inform editor why they were removed, since some editors are just not in touch with what they were doing as editors.

Since then I saw a post of yours in another SEO forum, where you advised someone to use cloaking to sneak their site into ODP. If that in fact was you, that in itself was probably enough to get you terminated.

macdesign, Sep 4, 2004 IP
  2. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    The editors are rude and arrogant - I'd never want to become an editor simply because I could not reply to people like these people do. I used to use DMOZ alot for research on projects, after the experience I have had with them as a webmaster I will never used DMOZ again to search.

Why list a website in a category which is not going to be found for the services that it provides. Yes it's human controlled, but so are many many other directories, but do you have to wait for 2 yrs to get listed.. No.

DarrenC, Sep 5, 2004 IP
  3. kuhleen

kuhleen Peon

Best Answers:
    I also subscribed many times one website to htem, they ignored the request for months, and after about a year, they included it without even asking me about that. Now (2 years from then) this website is listed twice in dmoz, in the appropriate category

i never talked personally to editors, hope i don't _have_ to do it soon;)

@msaad, thanks for welcoming

kuhleen, Sep 6, 2004 IP
  4. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    So are smallpox and leprosy... persistence or longevity in itself does not make something good. As for the "principle of DMOZ", what exactly is that? That's not a rhetorical question, by the way -- I find it hard to determine exactly what the DMOZ editors think it's supposed to be by now. The only way it makes any sense to me any more is to view it as a set of bookmarks by other human beings whose opinions are no more "expert" than yours or mine.

But there are numerous other directories who are much better at adding sites, much faster at doing so, and much more responsive to the internet community -- what's baffling is why DMOZ still enjoys such apparent prestige.

the fact that it's subjective isn't the problem -- the problem is that it's arrogant and secretive and still perceived to be more influential than it should be -- in the end, it's just a link.

minstrel, Sep 6, 2004 IP
  5. tivnet

tivnet Peon

Best Answers:
    tivnet, Sep 7, 2004 IP
  6. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Yes, I've seen that article before, tivnet -- I find these excerpts particularly salient:

minstrel, Sep 7, 2004 IP
  7. GoldDust

GoldDust Peon

Best Answers:
    (edit)

I gave up trying to get in along time ago.

GoldDust, Sep 7, 2004 IP
  8. l234244

l234244 Peon

Best Answers:
    Macdesign, do you know which forum that was mentioned in, must be this one or seoguys, as i dont use any other? I have never used cloaking and do not fully understand what it is. I would find it hard to believe I was suggesting to someone to use it as I normally ask the questions. It is quite possible that someone has the same username as me, but unlikely I think the simple answer is that the category was way behind on editing and nobody could be bothered to do it so they accepted my submission. After I cleaned it up over 100 edits, they decided lets make up an excuse to get rid of him. I had requested a category check, and nobody replied to me, so I pm a fellow editor - he says my category was looking more organised and that I was doing a good job. The fact that my category has not been changed since I left appears to indicate that my editing was up to scratch.

I have never heard of any voluntary organisation treating someone like this, never mind an extra 3-4 hours a week updating my site comes in handy.

PS My advice to anyone thinking about applying is dont, your help is not appeciated.

l234244, Sep 7, 2004 IP
  9. quadcity

quadcity Peon

Best Answers:
    If you don't like DMOZ, which (large) directories do you think are better?

quadcity, Sep 7, 2004 IP
  10. minstrel

Best Answers:
    You can find rather large lists of directories, some free, some paid, some human-edited, some not, (and I'm nit talking about FFA "directories" or link farms but legitimate directories) at several forums like this one -- and maybe at this one too (I've only recently started posting here so I don't know). Suffice it to say that there are many of them -- take your pick.

If you can't such a list here at DigitalPoint, PM me and I'll point you to a few places where they are listed.

minstrel, Sep 7, 2004 IP
  11. tivnet

tivnet Peon

Best Answers:
    As I said earlier, about.com is a good Directory.
    DMOZ is a LOL - List Of Links. Not a Directory.
    Did you see anything written by DMOZ "editors"? Any comments? Discussion? NOTHING. They are not Editors.
    About.com does have good editors. They DO know the subject they edit.

Compare:

Education Directory by About.com

and

DMOZ list: click here

and tell me which one was built for people to read, and which one - for robots to crawl and for SEO Pros to WASTE TIME ON?

tivnet, Sep 7, 2004 IP
  12. hurricane_sh

hurricane_sh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    hurricane_sh, Sep 7, 2004 IP
  13. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I don't think it's a question of "better" or "best" (anything but DMOZ? :D) -- there are several quite good ones, and no good reason not to submit to all of them.

minstrel, Sep 7, 2004 IP
  14. tivnet

tivnet Peon

Best Answers:
    Let's not switch to the "where to submit your site" theme.
    There is a separate topic for that.

My original statement was: DMOZ is not good for PEOPLE. It is not up-to-date, and in many cases maintained by "editors" who do not know the subject. DMOZ exists only because of Google and partially due to multiple copies of it. Otherwise I doubt anyone would want to go there. I would not.

BTW, Wikipedia is another thing I like, besides About.com.

tivnet, Sep 7, 2004 IP
  15. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Uh... yes... that was my point.

minstrel, Sep 7, 2004 IP
  16. dirtdog1960theone

dirtdog1960theone Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey me too. I could never figure out why. I edited some obscure regional podunk where I lived at the time.

And now I know. Closure. Thanks for the post. That still sticks in my mind like an old mosquitio bite. yeah DMOZ, the old mosquito bite scar of the internet.

Just kidding DMOZ lurkers, I actually use DMOZ. Good quality index for research. :cool:

dirtdog1960theone, Sep 27, 2004 IP
    ViciousSummer likes this.