1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Selling diggs

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Theozard, Apr 14, 2007.

I do not recollect the site...but there was a site which was doing something like this-
    People who want to buy diggs they pay 1$ for a digg and the people who give them digs earn 30cents per digg. So they earn 70 per.
    Wondering if what they are doing is illegal?

Theozard, Apr 14, 2007 IP
  2. Indian

Indian Peon

Best Answers:
    Ofcourse illegal.

Indian, Apr 14, 2007 IP
  3. sukantab

sukantab Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No doubt against digg TOS...

sukantab, Apr 14, 2007 IP
  4. AvarianParakeet

AvarianParakeet Peon

Best Answers:
    It is definitely not illegal. It is against the Digg TOS though, and they know what they are doing though.

AvarianParakeet, Apr 14, 2007 IP
  5. dsendecki

dsendecki Peon

Best Answers:
    From what I can tell (being a contributing member to digg), this isn't illegal, but against TOS and frowned upon by the community (of course). Digg members will bury a story very quickly that they feel has been 'gamed' to the top. Moreover, they are pretty much adblind, so aside from crashing your server due to the excessive traffic, they wont do much else!

dsendecki, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  6. rupertValentino

rupertValentino Peon

Best Answers:
    I saw a topic about this the other day, its not illegal in the slightest as your paying for a service. As dsendecki said its against Digg TOS, plus dont put ur digg url here because digg pl will read it and ban u!

rupertValentino, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  7. Forrest

Forrest Peon

Best Answers:
    It's not illegal, because law moves a lot more slowly than technology. Digg has the right to do what they can to shut these sites down, though, including banning people for participating in them. And ultimately, sites like this are killing Digg off, because people trust them less when they can be manipulated so easily. So under the laws of the free market, this is ultimately a self-defeating deal.

I don't think it's a coincidence that studies have been done that show a 70/30 split is about the worst deal someone will accept for very little work. At 80/20, most people would rather hurt themselves by not getting 20 % to gain respect from the person they just hurt by cutting off 80 % to. Some of us will accept 75/25, but more won't. 70/30 is around the point where you hit diminishing returns.

Forrest, Apr 17, 2007 IP
    sportiana likes this.
  8. Mktgpro

Mktgpro Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm just wondering about this myself. But really, how do people get 1,000 more diggs? Just by mere quality content?

Mktgpro, Mar 9, 2008 IP
  9. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    this thread is almost a year old. :)

snowbird, Mar 9, 2008 IP
  10. thenetfool

thenetfool Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know why they would say this is definitely illegal. I don't think it is illegal, just dishonest. If it is illegal in some weird (and very lame) ruling... there is no way they would have a case against you in a court of law so long as you tell them you will stop :p

thenetfool, Mar 10, 2008 IP
  11. bluegrass special

bluegrass special Peon

Best Answers:
    1) This is old.
    2) Nobody said it is definately illegal before your post, thenetfool.
    3) All of the people that said it is definately legal are probably wrong. The only way to digg an article is to do it through your digg account. When you create that account you must agree to the ToS. That ToS is a contract. One of the terms is that you won't artificially inflate a story's digg count by receiving money in exchange for diggs. Getting money to make diggs is therefore a breach of contract. Breach of contract is most certainly illegal (though not a criminal offense in most places).

bluegrass special, Mar 10, 2008 IP
  12. sportiana

sportiana Peon

Best Answers:
    If 'this isn't illegal, but against TOS' like 'dsendecki' wrote, and if Digg does not conterfight it, then it ruins Digg's service credibility. If someone wants to market a sports product and ask me to find a popular web-site, I can't entirely depend on Digg's data seeing planty of ads (there are even forums dedicated to those kind of activities) for paying for Diggs which is manipulation of Digg's data, meaning of Digg is for an article to be Digg-ed because of its quality, some articles get Digg-ed without people ever reading them.

I added to Forrest' reputation, I received the first and only negative reputation at DP from an anonymous member because of my post saying that ads such as 'Selling Diggs for profit' are illegal activity.

sportiana, Mar 11, 2008 IP