1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do you own your details pages

Discussion in 'Directories' started by enQuira, Apr 17, 2007.

?

Who own the details page

1. Directory owner

17 vote(s)
    81.0%
  2. Submitter

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
    Do you think directory owners have the right to add a bunch of links (either sponsored, links to their own sites,...) to your details page long after your listing was approved? If they don't state that in their tos, this is not what you paid for in the first place!

enQuira, Apr 17, 2007 IP
    CReed likes this.
  2. wwws

wwws Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Depends. If you got your site listed for free, then the directory owner can almost do what it wishes.

Paid? Well, this should have been noticed from the very start before you submitted, I think the little area that is called "detail page" are kinda like a property you are renting for whatever set amount of time.

Think of this, you're renting a condo, then the manager puts her nephew Bob! and say's he will be staying at your couch..Sorta like that in some ways.

I think by placing a link other than what you paid for in the detail page, is something should be of a concern and might want to avoid such's directory.

Also having a link with your link competes with the link you paid for and could very well share the juice and visitors.

I think inhancing the Detail page for the benefit of those who had paid to be there is always a plus.

wwws, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  3. Richie_Ni

Richie_Ni Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    It's okay but I don't think it's a good idea if you are running a paid directory.
    And I'll never submit to those directories.

Richie_Ni, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  4. wwws

wwws Notable Member

Best Answers:
    wwws, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  5. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    so probably those doing this will remove the links that were not in my details page when I paid for the listngs. Applies to others of course...
    wwws I am talking about the details page not the directory pages.

enQuira, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  6. terryuk

terryuk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hmm i wouldn't call it a bad idea.. it's better than the directory selling sitewides put it like that :)

terryuk, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  7. wwws

wwws Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I know what you meant, I kinda lost you when I showed you a different type of detail page.:)

wwws, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  8. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I'm going to say yes, they do. I'm not sure why they wouldn't?

Why would you have the impression that it's your details page? Where does it state that you're buying a page on the web site and not paying for a review or inclusion within the directory?

What is your impression of what you paid for?

CReed, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  9. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    it if was just about a review I would rather use the botw review services :D
    When you buy a link (because that's what you do when you submit to a directory), among the parameters are how many outbound links there are. if after you purchased the links the directory owner starts to place links in the details page you paid for, I personally think that this is no longer what I paid for. Anyways this is just my opinion, and that's a criteria when I submit to directories... another one which even more important is sitewide links.

enQuira, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  10. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Are you sure you're not just paying for inclusion within the directory, which gives you a listing on the category page? And the details page is just an added bonus? I don't recall where any directory states you're buying a details page? Can you elaborate? Thanks

So you're basically saying the directory owner has no right to place advertising on the details pages, and it's owned by the submitter?

CReed, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  11. dkessaris

dkessaris Peon

Best Answers:
    No, submitters definitely don't own the details or any other page in directories. What if outbounds decrease compared to when you submitted, will you send some extra money because you are getting more than what you paid for?
    I don't like sitewides or any kind of outbound links other than the listings in directories. But one thing is for sure, I don't like even more the fact that people might think that they own even a page of my directory.

dkessaris, Apr 17, 2007 IP
    CReed likes this.
  12. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It has always been my policy with Crafty Tips to not include any outbound links on the details page other than the site being highlighted.

I had seen quite a few details pages with Ads, but not Sponsored listings - that seems really unfair and a bit insulting. I wouldn't submit to a directory that was doing that. Details pages are traditionally further advertising for that individual site.

I had thought about allowing folks to edit their details pages, but, I just see that opening up my site to the spammers. The risk for me is greater than the potential reward for more frequently updated content and even longer content.

This question is exactly why I always shake my head when people talk about using automated tools, hiring someone to make submissions, or getting 30-40 submissions done an hour. I always look over the directory a bit. What does a listing look like? How are they ordered? What does a details page look like?

By submitting a link I feel I am supporting that site. If the directory owner is doing something I don't like - I'm not going to support their site by participating.

Unfortunately, once your link is on the site, if they change their policies you can either request they remove your link or live with it.

YMC, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  13. wwws

wwws Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Whether it be Sitewides or Adverts on Detail pages those two things might be a turn-offs to some people who might have considered getting listed.

With the phpLd 3x the script comes with the detail page, and I like to say that they "rent" that part of the area for what they pay for, however it doesn't mean that they'll be able to claim or ad adsense to it or do what they please. What to me it means the detail page is also a part of what they are paying. This varies from who ever is running the directory.

So best to pick the directory your submitting too.

wwws, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  14. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I'm trying to establish the primary concern of submitters when it comes to details pages; for instance what are the concerns when it comes to having ads on the details pages? Are you concerned about the number of links on the page? The idea that the directory owner is promoting other sites they own? The revenue that they might receive from AdSense or other contextual ads? Or is it all about PR? Why do you feel you "own" the details page or should have a say about any additonal content added there?

I do not have advertising or other links on details pages at eWebPages or Link Book, but it is an interesting discussion thus far.

Personally, I tend to avoid those directories who have additional ads/links on the details pages, but then again I don't feel I have any right to what is or isn't displayed on those pages.

CReed, Apr 17, 2007 IP
    jhnrang likes this.
  15. teamshop

teamshop Plainsman

Best Answers:
    It's mainly personal choice I am sure for both owners and submitters. Many owners feel the added income from these site wides is needed to further promote their sites which in the long run can only help those that are listed. And of course potential submitters want the most PR juice possible which would mean the least amount of outgoing links possible on their detail page.

This ends up being quite a vicious circle of which I can see both sides point of view. Personally after reading though the various opinions on this thread I have changed the detail page on my main directory, getting rid of all extra outgoing links. Of course I have a feeling your normal directory submitter (those other than the folks that frequent DP) would never even consider this but I guess time will tell.

teamshop, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  16. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    My main concern was to place the extra links after you submit to the directory. I paid for a page where only my links are there and I don't think is fair that afterwards you add 10 or even 20 links in that page, of course unless you state that in your directory term...

enQuira, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  17. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Although I voted for Submitters --I don't even know how to add links there (edit the page):D

So I think -I have no other option:D

jhnrang, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  18. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Can you elaborate a bit on why you feel this is isn't fair? Is it that they're monetizing the page? Perceived loss of PR? Thanks.

Guess I should vote

CReed, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  19. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    By placing ads (I lose traffic if any) and by placing outgoing links (I lose juice) that's what bothers me. Again if these were there before I submit, no pb...

enQuira, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  20. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    an0n, Apr 17, 2007 IP