1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How Does Google Profit Through Youtube

Discussion in 'Google' started by qardinal, Apr 17, 2007.

just wondering, but unless i'm totally ad-blind i'm not seeing any ads on youtube at all, and being as uncreative as i am i'm not seeing how google can be making money through youtube. anybody know the answer to this?

qardinal, Apr 17, 2007 IP
    Arnie likes this.
  2. kamchatka

kamchatka Guest

Best Answers:
    Buying youtube it seems, was just like a method to pay back Sequoia Venture capitalists, after all they hold a lot of google shares and carry weight on their boards. just my opinion

kamchatka, Apr 17, 2007 IP
    qardinal likes this.
  3. sparksflying

sparksflying Peon

Best Answers:
    Adsense and advertising :)
    The fact that they may not be obvious makes them all the more devious! :)

I noticed theres none on the home page but then per Video..

DoubleClick seems to be used throughout also...

sparksflying, Apr 17, 2007 IP
    qardinal likes this.
  4. qardinal

qardinal Peon

Best Answers:
    had to do a lot of surfing but i finally found some. flash banner ads on the right side of pages in certain categories, but none on video pages where the most traffic is. seems like they're really throwing away a lot of revenue doing it like that.

5. grg

grg Guest

Best Answers:
    Youtube made probably so much money with adsense so G. decided this is cheaper to them to buy whole YT than paying them for their ads :)

grg, Apr 17, 2007 IP
    qardinal likes this.
  6. qardinal

qardinal Peon

Best Answers:
    everybody in here gets a green rep from me because i'm bored

7. Sxperm

Sxperm Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think Google can do much profits from youtube directly, but youtube is a largest video portal and well known by most people. Google get a largest user base and they can send any message or announce their new services to many peoples easily. They bought youtube for their future business model, just my opinion.

Sxperm, Apr 17, 2007 IP
    qardinal likes this.
  8. grg

grg Guest

Best Answers:
    Is this a bribe or what? ;)

grg, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  9. qardinal

qardinal Peon

Best Answers:
    no way, that's illegal to commit bribery! i'm a law abider mister.

sx you get green rep for your good points. grg, i'd give you a green rep but apparently i already gave you one some ways back in my reppin' frenzy so i have to spread it around some more.

10. qardinal

qardinal Peon

Best Answers:
    by the way, i believe whatever google's plans may be for generating parallel income from youtube through exposure or whatever plans they may have, i think they are under utilizing the potential here. of course this is coming from someone who jams ads in every free pixel of every page.

11. ian_batten

ian_batten Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Me and my dad were calculating how much they must get for CPM ads, if these were dispalyed on every page, it would be a very nice sum.
    Won't they have fun with doubleclick if and when they make the purchase :D

ian_batten, Apr 17, 2007 IP
    qardinal likes this.
  12. gangoffour

gangoffour Peon

Best Answers:
    Where else??? but from Ads and sponsors.....

gangoffour, Apr 17, 2007 IP
    qardinal likes this.
  13. megdilts

megdilts Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think it's about market share. G had to buy it. Sometimes big corporations don't buy for profit, but for market share. Google is making most of its revenue from adwords. But I wonder why they need sales reps.

megdilts, Apr 17, 2007 IP
    qardinal likes this.
  14. archard

archard Peon

Best Answers:
    I was wondering the same thing... because all of their ads since Google took over seem to be "Hey, check out the channels tab!" self-promoting ads

archard, Apr 17, 2007 IP
    qardinal likes this.
  15. oseymour

oseymour Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Video on the web is going to be huger (I just made that up) than it currently is now...so now they have access to all that viewer data and trends......

remember that before google bought youtube no one though video on the web was going to be that big....now they are so many video sharing sites out there and the major media companies are looking to start their own....

oseymour, Apr 17, 2007 IP
    qardinal likes this.
  16. JosefVirek

JosefVirek Peon

Best Answers:
    the major networks will soon produce their own movies/content specifically for their own video sharing sites, how will google compete?

JosefVirek, Apr 17, 2007 IP
    qardinal likes this.
  17. Aegist

Aegist Peon

Best Answers:
    They didn't buy YouTube for the adwords revenue (while I'm sure that helps make the site not a complete money hole), but instead to grab a HUGE traffic source and solid foundational community which has set up the largest video community on the internet.

In buying YouTube, Google have just basically made themselves a Television Station. It isn't happening yet exactly, but they are setting up infrastructure. Maybe it is costing them money now, maybe they haven't perfectly positioned all of the adwords ads etc, but thats because they aren't trying to be profitable from it now, they are looking into the future. They want people to continue loving the free, virtually advertising free, and easy to use website. They want the traffic to continue to grow, they want to know the site won't crash under extra traffic etc, and in the future google will be able to use this huge reliable resource to advertise anything, to announce anything, to launch things...they will be able to beam messages out directly into the screens of every person on the internet (and get paid a mighty sum for doing it).

just go and look how much it costs to run an advert in prime time television. Then compare numbers between youtube homepage views and any local television station. Imagine what it will be worth to be able to place an ad on the home page of youtube, to be played to every visitor that stops there.

Aegist, Apr 17, 2007 IP
    qardinal likes this.
  18. motoxxx

motoxxx Peon

Best Answers:
    Google just seems to be getting scarier and scarier. When combined with the personalized search this could be a freaky tool to send targeted video ads to you based on your surfing habits. Kind of creepy!

motoxxx, Apr 18, 2007 IP
    qardinal likes this.
  19. qardinal

qardinal Peon

Best Answers:
    JosefVirek, seo ranter, archard, megdilts, gangoffour, ian_batten, green green green green green green. thanks for your responses, they make a lot of sense. when i get more greens to give i'll give them to the rest of you. god i'm like a saint or something.

these things do make sense, in that google may be revving up to serve ads as a tv network would. and they'd better hurry up because these lawsuits are going to kill them otherwise. few ads+big lawsuits=a lot of trouble.

qardinal, Apr 18, 2007 IP
  20. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    there are adsense ads on several places on youtube. i think they are earning good from adsense ads:D

trichnosis, Apr 18, 2007 IP
    qardinal likes this.