1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Major Serp Reversal - Back from the Dead

Discussion in 'Google' started by gamma, Apr 10, 2007.

1. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    Mine did the exact same. Dissapeared on the 8th and came back yesterday, only to dissapear again today :( Something is screwy over there at googleland.

mopacfan, Apr 11, 2007 IP
  2. m0rtal

m0rtal Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm seeing ups and downs here very frequently for one of my sites... for a few days it drops out but keeps coming back.

m0rtal, Apr 11, 2007 IP
  3. Steupz

Steupz Peon

Best Answers:
    I see 50 point drops up and down again for the last three weeks

Steupz, Apr 11, 2007 IP
  4. silverglider

silverglider Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep something is happening for number of sites while others are stable.. goes from barely indexed to top ten.. gotta love it

silverglider, Apr 11, 2007 IP
  5. Gazzerman

Gazzerman Active Member

Best Answers:
    My sites plummeted from #3 to #180 I am now #1 for lots of key phrases, when before I was #2/#3.

I am still waiting for some key phrases to come back up.

I lost 2/3 of my traffic in the last 2 weeks and have now gained 25% more traffic than a few weeks ago since the serps updates in the last 2 days.

Things are looking up.

I think it’s a backlink anchor text analysis update that’s making these changes.

Gazzerman, Apr 11, 2007 IP
  6. Burta

Burta Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You might want to be carfeul when adding meta tags and keywords to every page. If you don't make them unique to every page you might find that Google will supplementally index your pages.

Of course duplicate meta tags is only one factor that Google takes into accoutn when deciding whether a page should be supplemental but I found out the hard way that if the pages are jam packed with unique content and have a few inbound links pointing to them non unique meta tags can be the tipping point that puts them into the supplemental index - which will really hurt your number of referrals from Google.

Good - as always! It's a beautiful part of the world we live in.

:)

LOL - I mean when it first happened for the first 30 seconds I was like "awww this sucks" - then I quickly when to the "oh well best get back to making some more quality features and content for my site/s".

I really don't get as worked up as a used to over things like this. I think as you spend more time with website development, SEO and internet marketing in general you learn that SEO and Google are really not the be all end all - and that in many cases not focusing on them is actually what can lead you to true success.

I know that the people in my industry that are doing it for sheer love of information sharing and website building are making $30,000+/month and they haven't even got anything in their title tags. It's just that their site's quality is so good that word of mouth does all the marketing for them and Google traffic has less than a 5% influence on their site - oh and they are like a PR3.

So when stuff like Google dropping me from their index it reminds me what I really need to be focussing on.

LOL you rarely hear someone say otherwise about Google - sometimes I wonder if even Google know what Google is doing...

:rolleyes:

Burta, Apr 11, 2007 IP
  7. SJM211

SJM211 Peon

Best Answers:
    Something strange is definitely happening.. One of my directories (domaining.in) was doing very nicely until yesterday, now I can't find it in the top 20 pages of searches it used to be at position #1 for.

SJM211, Apr 11, 2007 IP
  8. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    My site, which had come back from the dead two days ago, died in a fire yesterday. Now, even the five or six pages that that remained ranking throughout all of this, have died as well. The current results are full of crap sites that have very low relevancy to the search terms. G really screwed the pooch on this update.

mopacfan, Apr 12, 2007 IP
  9. Bazza-UK

Bazza-UK Peon

Best Answers:
    I have seen exactly the same myself the last week or so. One of my sites that has been consistently #1 for its own brand-name (not too competitive) and also having many page 1 results for its product-related keywords suddenly dropped from Google. When searching for just the company name, we definately werent in the first 10 pages... gone.

When logging into Google Webmaster Tools to have a look, it appeared that our link-count was just 3... and those were pointing to inner pages of the website, not the homepage (which vanished completely).

When searching for backlinks in Google with the link: command, it showed 38 links (which were all still active and valid). So, somewhere, Google seemed to have screwed up our link count for the site and appeared to be using the results from the Webmaster Tools.

2 days ago, the site re-appeared back at #1 for the company name. Since then, logging into Webmaster Tools shows over 800 backlinks.... VERY strange that Google messes with sites like this. This particular site has been around for 8 years!

Bazza-UK, Apr 12, 2007 IP
  10. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Congrats on the comeback, lets hope it sticks ;)

BigBadWolf, Apr 12, 2007 IP
  11. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    You don't know how true those wishes are. My site was resurected again today. I'm hoping it stays that way. This rollercoaster ride is getting old.

mopacfan, Apr 13, 2007 IP
    Mia likes this.
  12. pieman_fellis

pieman_fellis Peon

Best Answers:
    Something is definatly up! My sites are going mad. I do hope some of my dead sites come back too!

Is the update in process, when will it be over?

pieman_fellis, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  13. brenda

brenda Peon

Best Answers:
    I submitted a sitemap to webmaster central for one of my site and dropped from #1 to #6.

brenda, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  14. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    And BAMMM ... everything is back overnight as if nothing happened. No idea why this all happened.

If nothing less, I'm impressed how fast Google can push changes and sychronize data centers as in both cases, the changes were quite visible by querying various data centers and also in the inbound traffic.

hulkster, Apr 17, 2007 IP
    Mia likes this.
  15. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Mia, Apr 17, 2007 IP
    m0rtal likes this.
  16. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm glad your site came back. Mine is still in google hell. :(

mopacfan, Apr 17, 2007 IP
    d16man likes this.
  17. nabil_kadimi

nabil_kadimi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Me too, i've been waiting from March 22nd !!!

nabil_kadimi, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  18. m0rtal

m0rtal Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Love the theory :D

Does make sense though, last time same shit happened to this site, a bunch of crap was floating around for my search term.

m0rtal, Apr 17, 2007 IP
    Mia likes this.
  19. technolarity

technolarity Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sadly i lost out on some million dollar keywords :-(

technolarity, Apr 17, 2007 IP