1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

About Wordpress Theme Sponsorship

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by lucaxxx, Apr 12, 2007.

1. KGL

KGL Peon

Best Answers:
    the dude that runs weblogstoolcollection is a douche.

KGL, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  2. ahkip

ahkip Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    ahkip, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  3. 30k Challenge

30k Challenge Peon

Best Answers:
    He can submit anything he wants and we can download any we want. If Wordpress bans them from their servers all that will happen is new sites will pop up to replace them and they will lose traffic. The guy that wrote Wordpress is an elitist moron who doesn't think anyone should make money online. Save the whales or something.

30k Challenge, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  4. 30k Challenge

30k Challenge Peon

Best Answers:
    You are correct that they are all tools. I have loathed them since day 1.

30k Challenge, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  5. Fret-Less

Fret-Less Active Member

Best Answers:
    I should say that in addition to releasing un-sponsored themes as well as sponsored ones I've also, on occasion, clicked on a blog that has an atrociously ugly theme, looked at what they've tried to do, redesigned the theme based on their ideas and then contacted the blog owners and offered them the new theme -- for absolutely nothing in exchange! Of course I've only done this 3 or 4 times and only for blogs that I've enjoyed reading (but hated the ugliness of the layout). The people I've done this for have been most appreciative which, in turn, makes me feel good as well.

It's a damn sight better than some of the death threats and violence I've received over releasing sponsored themes!! Some people need to grow up and get a life!

Fret-Less, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  6. GADOOD

GADOOD Peon

Best Answers:
    Death threats and violence over releasing sponsored themes - man that's funny. :)

Pete

GADOOD, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  7. Valve-Hosting

Valve-Hosting Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it's dumbthere's no harm in sponsored links at all. If people don't like the links they don't have to use the template.

Calling it Adware is truly pathetic and shows the negative bias mr WP himself has. TBH, i'm not sure they could stop it even ifd they wanted too. They could stop hosting them, but how would they monitor it? Unless they place restricrive new rules/copyright laws on the product stating 'Under No circumstances must you place advertising links on templates...' (which they won't) there's actually nothing they can do and if somehow they did, you can be sure that someone would pick up what they dropped and exploit it.

Valve-Hosting, Apr 18, 2007 IP
  8. IDEASGirl

IDEASGirl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not familiar with WP template system, neither have created one, but I have though, created free templates for other open source systems. The benefit they have is... more themes, more people will use them.

When users see more OPTIONS for a script, MORE will use it, MORE will refer/suggest it, and believe it or not MORE will donate to the project.

Those are their benefits. (FREE ADVERTISING, LINKBACKS, FAME, DONATIONS)

IDEASGirl, Apr 18, 2007 IP
  9. Eskarina

Eskarina Guest

Best Answers:
    I've just added my vote against of course.

But to be honest jquindlen, I don't think it's anything to worry about just yet. 241 voters in favour of removing sponsored themes, out of the millions of visitors to that website is just gnats piss - it doesn't reflect public opinion at all (imho). If those votes are taken seriously and wordpress removes sponsored themes, they will be shooting themselves in their own foot.

Who's this Matt person anyway? Anyone care to fill me in with the short version? I haven't got time to check it all out thoroughly.

I've never personally come across a free theme that was embedded with blahblah and if I did, I simply wouldn't use it. Big deal... as someone else pointed out, how confusing can it really be?

Total load of codswallop.

Eskarina, Apr 18, 2007 IP
  10. Eskarina

Eskarina Guest

Best Answers:
    Absolutely! Millions of people are very happy with their sponsored themes and damn grateful they got it for free, they don't give a seconds thought as to why there may be 1, 2 or 3 links down the bottom.

If wordpress want to drop the more professionally designed free templates - it's gonna be their loss in the end.

I've used many exceptional free resources from programmers and designers, and I truly do donate to each and everyone of them, especially when their hard & freely given work makes me look good at the end of the day :D Then again I'm not a greedy mofo, I like to share back. Maybe this is just a case of someone, somewhere, getting greedy and wanting it all for themselves?

11. Eskarina

Eskarina Guest

Best Answers:
    Very true... I've done it myself BUT I didn't erase it altogether, just moved it where I thought it looked nicer and was still easily found. And I wouldn't do it now... not since I've grown up LOL

12. Eskarina

Eskarina Guest

Best Answers:
    awww some people obviously do get confused ... but not by the sponsors :D That is a classic LOL ... thanks for such a giggle (both of you) :D Priceless :p

PS

Sorry for the multiple posts, I would combine them but, if only I knew how.

13. jquindlen

jquindlen Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well, I'm personally worried about it because I have sold a ton of sponsored links, and the last thing I want is customers who have spent money on a wasted product. I'm also worried that out of 241 votes, the overwhelming majority voted in favor of it. I also should point out that 241 votes is way more than most of the threads there in the idea section. But you're right, nothings set in stone and the jury is still out.

Oh, and that Matt guy is the creator of Wordpress.

EDIT:
    Click the EDIT button on the right of your post. It's too late now, but in the future you'll know. ;)

jquindlen, Apr 18, 2007 IP
    Eskarina likes this.
  14. Eskarina

Eskarina Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm sure your past customers will know full well , if it ever comes to pass - that you are entirely blameless.

If you're also worried about your future finances (as I would be in your boots) I'm sure an alternative resource will fill the void very swiftly. I for one, would contribute to financing an alternative if it becomes necessary.

I would guess that the not very many votes in favour of banning sponsored wordpress themes, are most likely from his devout followers. The public at large, the users of free wordpress themes - aren't voting because they are entirely oblivious to his vote page, the theme designers & whatever else. In fact, the idea of his idea page has probably caused more confusion for the average passer-by! I seriously believe those 241 votes are meaningless.

I'm speaking as someone that has many typical family members, extended family & friends that use free wordpress themes. They don't give a toss about sponsorship - they're oblivious. They enjoy the free themes. They don't give a toss about who designed the theme, how long it took, or indeed who Matt is or how Wordpress originally came about. Not once have I heard a complaint - and no ... nobody is aware that I 've been sponsoring the odd theme myself as of late.

It's all bluff - maybe he's trying to rock the boat, testing the water, or maybe just hitting on the unique content angle? Maybe he was just bored and wanted some fun?

If he really wants sponsor free themes, let it be so. Though it would be nice if he declared his true reasoning. Insulting the average population's intelligence is not a good enough excuse & just doesn't cut the mustard.

They're confused? How insulting! If the general public (myself included) are able to download & implement a theme from his site, surely he should credit them with some intelligence!

All poppycock! If he really does want to get rid of sponsored themes - it's because he has something else in mind... and he's paving the way.

15. iatbm

iatbm Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I publish, actually most of free template designers publish template without sponsors...

iatbm, Apr 18, 2007 IP
  16. jquindlen

jquindlen Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    That's a good point. Even if they ban sponsored themes, I will continue to publish free themes for Wordpress. Just not as often. :D

And Eskarina, I agree with all your points as well.

jquindlen, Apr 18, 2007 IP