1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Corrent way to redirect vistors

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by SticKer, Apr 17, 2007.

which is the correct way to redirect customers to the home page, incase the page they are looking for is deleted or moved.

for example there is a page http://example.com/example.html

but this page is deleted or its moved, now visitors come from search engines but they dont find the page, same happens to the search engines when they crawl the site.

so to avoid losing visitors and also search engines whats the correct way to redirect users to the home page when they dont find the page they are looking for.

SticKer, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  2. ewc21

ewc21 Peon

Best Answers:
    Deleted Page
    If visitors cannot find the deleted page after clicking on a dead link, you must display a customized "Page Not Found" page with hints on how to locate what they are looking for. It can contain related links and a search form.

Moved Page
    Do a 301 redirect pointing to the new page and to tell search engines that if they come across that page when indexing, they'll be notified a new page replaced that old one.

ewc21, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  3. SticKer

SticKer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    so 301 redirect would direct search engines and visitors to the new page right?

SticKer, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  4. sgorman

sgorman Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah.

You can also use a 302 if you think that you will put content up in that place later. This will maintain the page position for while as you create the new page content.

sgorman, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  5. SticKer

SticKer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i think 301 would be ok for me coz i want the search engines and vistors to go to the home page if they dont find the page.

now how to i setup the 301 redirect is there a code or something i need to put?

SticKer, Apr 17, 2007 IP