1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Keywords in URL: Used more than once?

Discussion in 'Google' started by Tara33, Apr 16, 2007.

I realize the importance of using keywords URLs. With that in mind, I thought maybe the use of the keyword more than once in a URL may prove helpful with ranking in Google; in conjunction with original, relevant page content as well, of course. I thought I may try doing this by putting my pages into a folder that is named for the keywords; so you see the keyword in the domain name, folder name and page name, respectively.

Example:

The keywords "railings" and "stainless railings" used in the site's URL would look like this:

www(dot)railings.bz/stainless-railings/stainless-railings.html

Or, is it better to have the pages in the top level of the web site, having the following URL?

www(dot)railings.bz/stainless-railings.html

*These URLs do not exist yet; I am re-designing this web site currently.*

Any thoughts on whether this could make a difference? Have any of you used this technique with good results?

Thanks!

Tara33, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  2. gogiants

gogiants Peon

Best Answers:
    Dont repeat too many time or readers will get confused

gogiants, Apr 16, 2007 IP
    Tara33 likes this.
  3. ninjashoes

ninjashoes Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It won't increase relevency if your wondering about that. Once is enough in your url.

ninjashoes, Apr 16, 2007 IP
    Tara33 likes this.
  4. tradeya

tradeya Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Umm i think what's more important one is the on-page optimization which you can add more keywords in the Header and Body. i think google will pay attention on the content than the url. like my site www.tradedee.com when i use the word "thailand b2b" i still can go top10 without any keywords on my url. just for example. so do more focus on content page might be better.

tradeya, Apr 16, 2007 IP
    Tara33 likes this.
  5. Tara33

Tara33 Peon

Best Answers:
    This is something I always practice. I always make good use of my on-page content, title and description, as well as my file name (even alt image tags). I was just wondering with all the other SEO standards having been met, would this method also "up" my chances in ranking well with a site.

Thank you all for your quick, and thoughtful feedback!

Tara33, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  6. axlarry

axlarry Notable Member

Best Answers:
    wouldn't it be spammy for SE?

axlarry, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  7. grg

grg Guest

Best Answers:

I doubt, not worth to pay attention. Simplicity is better for user.

grg, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  8. Janna122003

Janna122003 Banned

Best Answers:

Keywords in the URL is really helpful no need to repeat it in the URL as long as your content is optimized with your targeted keywords and has keywords on your title it can get better ranking in SERP.

Janna122003, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  9. Zerosleep

Zerosleep Established User

Best Answers:
    The SE's will be suspicious if you repeat the keyword more then once, so just keep it one time, it will be enough

Zerosleep, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  10. ac_roma

ac_roma Guest

Best Answers:
    Keywords in URL give strong links to your site & give advanced results

ac_roma, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  11. Paul8368

Paul8368 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    URL keyword will improve SE hits but don't duplicate the same content is classed as spamming IMO. Too much and they drop you, you are better off going for other relevant terms and phrases within the page and getting more relevant links to your site

Paul8368, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  12. tradeya

tradeya Notable Member

Best Answers:
    yeah like they said, it's better dont take a risk. search engine will not know your attention. you might do it for good but they will just think you do it for spam. it's not worth it to see whether it works or not and get banned for no reason. keep it once should be fine.

tradeya, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  13. Tara33

Tara33 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have actually used this method before; not for SEO, but for organization of a very large site. We decided to house each section of the site in its own sub-folder to keep the server more organized. It didn't seem to hurt the site, and we had #1 rankings for many terms that were very competitive; at least 1 million in competition. Thing is, I didn't pay attention to whether or not it was more or less beneficial to the rankings than having everything on the top level.

From a usability standpoint, I think I will just keep it simple, and have the pages reside on the top level. Simpler URLs are likely the better way to go.

Thanks again for all your thoughts!

Tara33, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  14. boyponga

boyponga Banned

Best Answers:
    Repeated keywords in URL is not advisable because not just look confusing, it also look like keyword spamming.

boyponga, Apr 17, 2007 IP