1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How many backlinks is enough?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by jhmattern, Apr 15, 2007.

OK... well I guess you can never have "enough" backlinks. But if you create a piece of linkbait, how many backlinks do you expect to receive from it? And how quickly do you expect to get them? For instance, what would you consider good after a week? A month? Just curious as to what your goals are when you create something along those lines. :)

Jenn

jhmattern, Apr 15, 2007 IP
    sundaybrew likes this.
  2. ninjashoes

ninjashoes Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I try to get as many backlinks as possible from anywhere that isnt a link farm or wordcloud site.

Linkbaiting is a great way to get links, the best type of linkbaiting is interesting content.

ninjashoes, Apr 15, 2007 IP
  3. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    OK. Let me put it this way then... what specific numbers would you consider ok as far as running a linkbaiting campaign... what amount would make you consider a piece of linbait to be "successful?"

4. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamerâ„¢

Best Answers:
    [​IMG]
    1 Billion Backlinks!

Roman, Apr 15, 2007 IP
  5. ninjashoes

ninjashoes Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would consider linkbait successful if there was a steady stream of links, even if its just 1 every 3 months its working.

Depends what kind of sacrafices you are putting into the linkbaiting, if it takes maintenance then its a different story.

I made a forum skin one time and got a linkback from a pretty big forum with a pr of 4.

I get great backlinks from mixed martial arts blogs all the time and I love it. People see my site as something different than the usual site centered around my niche.

ninjashoes, Apr 15, 2007 IP
    jhmattern likes this.
  6. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Continual backlinks is a good measure. Thanks for mentioning it. :)

I've only really made one actual attempt at linkbaiting with an article. It was posted a month and a half ago. It still gets the occasional new link to it, but overall I think it's at 96 (from just checking some tool today). I'm just trying to assess whether that's ok, or whether I need to totally rethink my strategy if I give it another go. :)

ninjashoes likes this.
  7. cianuro

cianuro Peon

Best Answers:
    I would consider ONE link ok. IF it was from an authority site in my niche. All the crappy links in the world are nothing compared to a nice deep editorial anchor text rich link from a topical hub.

My link baiting efforts recently have been specifically targeted to an authority site. ie: I will write the piece specially crafted to their interests and taste. Research what they generally link to and become that.

cianuro, Apr 15, 2007 IP
    jhmattern likes this.
  8. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    That's a good point. I was lucky with this one. I got a few links on relevant PR5 blogs (it's a post on a PR blog.... one reasonably well-known PR blog linked to it, which led to a small flood on others quickly). There are plenty of lousy links in there too of course, but enough in the PR3-5 range that I was somewhat happy.

That's some good feedback, and an interesting technique you mention. :)

cianuro likes this.
  9. cianuro

cianuro Peon

Best Answers:
    (I just dropped you a mail BTW)

Anyway, the PR of the site is not the issue either for me. Its the authority of the domain. There are plenty of PR4 authority domains. Besides, you are probably only going to get a link from a new post anyway.

Another thing I like to do is create a post for a specific search term. Do some keyword research on the topic you are GOING to blog about. Then craft the title specifically to that keyword. Link baiting for search engines :) The "Latest Blog Post" feature on this and many other forums gives you massive backlinks for a short time to that post and you get a flood of visitors (And links) from SUPER targeted sources.

Write about questions that have not already been answered. Make your piece the definitive source for that answer. You will get linked forever. One particular example I have in mind is this:

http://www.mikeindustries.com/blog/archive/2005/03/how-to-snatch-an-expiring-domain

I have linked to that post I'd say about 20-30 different times in different forums and in bog posts when someone asks that question.

cianuro, Apr 15, 2007 IP
  10. exponent

exponent Peon

Best Answers:
    10 per article of bait would be lovely.

exponent, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  11. jl255

jl255 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    lol..... 100 points for effort

but perhaps it shld be "oneee biiilllioooonn backlinks....muahahahaha"

jl255, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  12. Bondat

Bondat Peon

Best Answers:
    My goal would be gather as many quality backlinks not just quantity. I would rather wait for 1 week for high quality links rather than getting links massively from low quality websites. How many is enough? Enough for me would be if I can get a very high quality links every week. :)

Bondat, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  13. ichigo

ichigo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    when your site is finally dominating serp then you can stop. or try to maintain your ranking- link building but moderate compared when you were not in serp.

ichigo, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  14. jl255

jl255 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    unfortunately, i think one can never stop. Maintaining your SERP position takes alot of effort if not equal to what you were doing previously. At least that's what i believe....

jl255, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  15. cocaine

cocaine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No number of backlinks are enough.

cocaine, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  16. Michelangelo

Michelangelo Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't agree with the most of my DP dudes above. It is not about quantity, but quality. Some time ago I have written an article about it in my blog, that you can find in my signature. One very strong link from a relevant site (in a similar niche with similar content like yours, would beat 100 or more crappy backlinks. Many webmasters make the mistake to get only blacklinks from everywhere.

Michelangelo, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  17. SeLFiE

SeLFiE Banned

Best Answers:
    We can't say that we have enough backlinks...it'll be nice to have lots of it as it be a help for your traffic and sales...but it be good if it'll be quality links that your linking to..

SeLFiE, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  18. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    i think there is nolimit for the backlink. i allways prefer more and more backlink.;)

trichnosis, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  19. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    Sometimes you can get loads of low quality links from places that scrape your feed or scrape feeds from Google News and Digg. Sometimes you get lots of quality links and very few scraper links.

Most posts of mine get a few hundred links from scrapers but some posts get 2000+ "real" links.

mad4, Apr 16, 2007 IP
  20. prilep

prilep Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The more backlinks the better! Linkbaiting is very good way to get backlinks.

- Prilep :D

prilep, Apr 16, 2007 IP