1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

A Pastor Stole My Content

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Sleepy_Sentry, Apr 14, 2007.

I was doing a search for copies of an article on my site and out of the ten sites or so that have stolen it so far, one of them is the personal site of a pastor.

And he didn't just steal it, he made it a subcategory on this site, linked to it on his homepage, and filled it with Adsense ads. He did not link to my site, either.

Normally, I would send a DMCA out to the host and tell them to take the content down, but it upsets that someone who claims to teach Christian ideals is stealing on the Internet. His site says he's been making websites since 1997, so there's no way he doesn't know about copyright law. He is also a graduate of some seminary.

The guy lists what ministries he's worked with and I could easily find what church he works for. I could report him to Adsense, Google search, Yahoo, and his web host.

If I really wanted to get this guy, I could contact the church where he works and the other ministries he has worked with. They may want to know what this guy is doing stealing my stuff.

I am so sick and tired of people stealing my hard earned work. Do you think I would be going over the limit if I did this?

By the way, I have been very successful in the past getting content removed from sites. So far, no host or person has refused to take down content stolen from me. What I usually do is if I can obviously tell it was a mistake or the person didn't mean harm, I email the person and politely ask for it to be removed. If it's anything else, then I go straight to the web host.

But really, don't you think a Christian pastor/10-year webmaster/college graduate ought to know about copyright law and giving credit where it's due? There's no way someone could be that ignorant.

Sleepy_Sentry, Apr 14, 2007 IP
    pixel_dust and adultuserbars like this.
  2. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    I had similar experience of a divinity student hot linking to one of the images on a site I do for another. I asked him what did he not understand about thou shalt not steal?

Smyrl, Apr 14, 2007 IP
  3. Colbyt

Colbyt Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Don't let the "collar" fool you.

Some of the worst scum on Earth buy them to hide behind.

Personally, Vengence would be mine. I would report the a##$$##.

Colbyt, Apr 14, 2007 IP
  4. zac439

zac439 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I would send him a polite email, I'm sure he meant no harm at all. You could be teaching him a valuable lesson by letting him know he did wrong! Good luck :)

zac439, Apr 14, 2007 IP
  5. AvarianParakeet

AvarianParakeet Peon

Best Answers:
    It sounds like he knew exactly what he was doing. I would try reporting him to adsense or his webhost (then again I really can't stand hypocritical priests). Just my two cents though.

AvarianParakeet, Apr 14, 2007 IP
  6. archard

archard Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree, there's new place for sh*t like this.

archard, Apr 14, 2007 IP
  7. GADOOD

GADOOD Peon

Best Answers:
    DMCA then e-mail him telling him you asked God in your prayers to seek justice on your behalf...

..won't he sh*t a brick when his website disappears from Google. [​IMG]

Pete

GADOOD, Apr 14, 2007 IP
  8. erikesq777

erikesq777 Peon

Best Answers:
    The pastor might be a copyright thief or he might be the innocent victim of a freelance article writer. I have had freelance article writers send me writing samples of other people's work as their own many times.

Send the pastor an e-mail and ask for an explanation. There are a lot of things you can do if you don't hear back from him or if you don't like his response.

erikesq777, Apr 14, 2007 IP
  9. pixel_dust

pixel_dust Peon

Best Answers:
    okay, I have no advice (I like smyrl's advice) but I am giving you a green rep for the best title thread I've read all week!

:D

vanessa.

pixel_dust, Apr 14, 2007 IP
  10. Kalyse

Kalyse Peon

Best Answers:
    Or you could go Pulp Fiction on him.

Kalyse, Apr 15, 2007 IP
    Sleepy_Sentry likes this.
  11. ezguy

ezguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    some times pastors sites are not built by them but by some one else and the guy who made the site could have copied it. I know personally some pastors who dont even know what HTML is :)

ezguy, Apr 15, 2007 IP
  12. Karen May Jones

Karen May Jones Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Maybe somebody sold him the article! Or, maybe one of congregation members emailed it to him.

I'd contact him and ask him how did he come about getting your article and let him know that it is yours and you do not wish to share it without it being paid for or without him giving you a credit link for it.

Karen May Jones, Apr 15, 2007 IP
  13. pixel_dust

pixel_dust Peon

Best Answers:
    did he hotlink any photos?
    if he did you could replace it with the one below
    or if not you could send it with an email

[​IMG]

(I have the original - if you want it, let me know)

vanessa.

pixel_dust, Apr 15, 2007 IP
  14. ezguy

ezguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    hahah nice one :)

ezguy, Apr 15, 2007 IP