1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Will you list this web site in your directory ?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by skillipedia, Apr 13, 2007.

?

Will you list this web site in your directory?

1. yes

12 vote(s)
    70.6%
  2. nop

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
    I found this website is dmoz -with almost no content at all - apart from about us

The editor must have liked the flash intro:rolleyes:

Cheers

skillipedia, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  2. martty

martty Banned

Best Answers:
    Whats wrong with that? It meets the criteria for a regional listing, which it has. It does not have enough content for a listing in a topical category (which it does not have).

martty, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  3. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    The site has plenty of content about the company for the regional listing it has. I doubt it has anything to do with the flash introduction, a lot of editors hate them, myself included.

compostannie, Apr 13, 2007 IP
    Gatorade likes this.
  4. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Tsk ! Tsk ! We meet again Skillipedia. Bwahahaha. :p

That's a very nice website. Can you keep finding nice sites like that and the one in UK for Kids Television ? :D

Your so very lovely babe. Mmmmmm. Big Hugs for you. :D

How's the e-petition going by the way.

popotalk, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  5. john269

john269 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    When I used the Dmoz last which was about 2 - 3 years ago, I would say that site would be rather good compared to alot of the sites I have seen in Dmoz. Why Dmoz is so important when there is alot of homepage's which are just full of links, banners or pages that are very badly designed I really don't know.

john269, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  6. martty

martty Banned

Best Answers:
    lol .... and the sites listed in your directories are not !!!!

martty, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  7. john269

john269 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you look at my affiliate programs directory then you will see how much works been put into that. It is not something that has been nocked up over night. It gets hundreds of submissions a week and only about 50% gets approved. When they do get approved it takes about 8 hours just to go through 15 - 30 listings as most of the listings submitted needs editing, the sites checked for quality, etc.

No with Dmoz, anybody can become an editor and just submit their own site. I don't know how much it has improved, but believe me, some of the sites there were real bad. I am not flaming any bodies site in particular, but there was one stage that if you wanted to find some of the worst sites on the web, then the Dmoz was the place to go.

When I had a web directory I was using Dmoz so that I could quickly collect websites from certain categories, the sites were so bad that I couldn't use about 50% of them. Also, using Dmoz didn't mean I was doing copyright infringement as I was just gather the sites out of a category by hand and then looking at them and then writing a review of each one myself. I don't do that anymore though as it was not worth it in the end. That was about 3 years ago when I last looked.

Don't get me wrong, I know there are also alot of really good sites in there aswell, it could have just been the category I was in or something at the time. All I know they could even be all good to average now. I have not been to Dmoz in about 3 years.

Also, when I had looked there were sites like just a page with about 20 banners down the middle one on top of each other just to try and earn a quick buck. That's the sort of things I was coming accrossed. There were hardly any content either.

john269, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  8. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    the contact info alone is a valuable content if the site is listed in the appropriate regional category.

enQuira, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  9. john269

john269 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I submitted my sites to Dmoz around 3 - 4 years ago and the last I heard about 1 year ago they were still in the cue. I think now that it has relaunched or what ever's happen, I may submit one of my sites again just to see if it will get in this time.

Edit:

Just thought that I would say that I have submitted the site and I will hopefully report here once it's in, that's if digitalpoint still exists and I'm still around by then. lol.

Hopefully I will get in this time as I have actually been trying to get in for a long time and my main competitors are in Dmoz nicely with some of them having more than 2 urls listed in there for the same site.

How long as AOL be with Dmoz then. While submitting my site it mentiond that they have partnered with it or something.

john269, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  10. skillipedia

skillipedia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    !

I never knew that " about us" it actually the content of a web site. Aha! in twisted dmoz terms -may be :cool:

Right now , I can go to any free web hoster [,]create one empty page[,] add another about us page and I will be listed. Sounds very easy when one of dmoz editors is either a shmack or on medication.

What was the hug for , popotalk !

skillipedia, Apr 14, 2007 IP
  11. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    skillipedia, about us + contact info is a plenty of content if you are selling pizza in new york and you are listed exactly in that category. It depends on the website. A directory with 10000 pages has no content if it is just another clone of other directories...

enQuira, Apr 14, 2007 IP
  12. martty

martty Banned

Best Answers:
    As was said above, it is sufficient content for a regional listing, but not a topical listing.
    No. It would be spam as its against the guidelines to submit related sites.
    No. Whos a shmack or on medication that they would go to such lengths to get a DMOZ listing when they think a DMOZ listing is worth so little.

martty, Apr 14, 2007 IP
  13. Brian1970

Brian1970 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Just my take!

Over the years I have submitted loads of websites to Dmoz, I have never managed to get listed.

Over the last few weeks lots of DP members websites have been listed, this at least proves that Dmoz is back!.

My site in my signature “Seo Web Directory” is promoted well and is starting to receive some great Mods (Thanks AnOn) with more to come.

Congratulation to all that are listed, I live in hope mine will join them sometime.

PS I didn’t vote as it’s not for me to be the judge.

Thanks Brian

Brian1970, Apr 14, 2007 IP
  14. martty

martty Banned

Best Answers:
    I clicked on a couple of categories and they were empty. Then noticed all the drug crap in some health categories. INHO, it not going to get a listing due to lack of content.

martty, Apr 14, 2007 IP
  15. Brian1970

Brian1970 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well the site is going to be around for a long time so we live in hope.

As for the empty categories my site is only few months old.

Thanks Brian

Brian1970, Apr 14, 2007 IP
  16. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    The site has enough information for a regional listing: contact information and what it does. Regional listings don't require much, just an active editor and a real website.

kh7, Apr 15, 2007 IP