1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Title Tag ?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by shirsc2, Apr 13, 2007.

I use a content management system for my site so what I can do with my meta tags are somewhat limited.

The first half of my Title tag is the same on every page (i know, its not the best for SEO purposes but I have to deal with it).

As of now all my pages start with:
    Bluetooth Technology Guide at BlueTomorrow.com - (page specific title)

Do you think it would be better to change it to just :

Bluetooth Technology - (page specific title)

I'm ranking very well for some keywords using the current title tag but my main keyword (Bluetooth), I'm stuck on Page 2 of Google results. Would changing the title tag to the second option (shorter and focuses on the main keywords) be better or would it hurt the rest of my results?

shirsc2, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  2. rcj662

rcj662 Guest

Best Answers:
    I would. I think you might pick up more search results by leaving rest out.

rcj662, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  3. manageyourlinks

manageyourlinks Peon

Best Answers:
    Changing title tags can have great, immediate benefits when trying to rank. Personally I like what you currently have better then make it a 3 word title tag. It brands your site with the domain name in there.

I am confused why you say "The first half of my Title tag is the same on every page" If this is the case then that isn't a good thing. To me it looks like the last half of your title tag is the same on all the pages, no?

manageyourlinks, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  4. manageyourlinks

manageyourlinks Peon

Best Answers:
    Having less words in your title tag enables you to rank for more search results? How is that so?

5. shirsc2

shirsc2 Peon

Best Answers:

The first half of my title tag is on every page. The Content Management System uses the Site Name as the first half and the page title is the 2nd (which is different on every page). I can change my "Site Name" to anything i want.

shirsc2, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  6. manageyourlinks

manageyourlinks Peon

Best Answers:
    Ahh ok. You are def. going to want get a unique description as the first part of the title tag. With your co. name at the end IMHO.

The words at the front of the title tag get the most weight. Words at the end get less weight.

7. shirsc2

shirsc2 Peon

Best Answers:
    is having the company name in the title tag that important?

shirsc2, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  8. manageyourlinks

manageyourlinks Peon

Best Answers:
    I mean tbh. If your a large corp. trying to brand your name then maybe so. But if your sole goal is to increase traffic and your organic rankings then I would probably scrap it. Add other verbage that you know people are searching for to increase your breadth of terms found for without going over board (like 3 phrases max)

9. scodal

scodal Peon

Best Answers:
    Your title is way too long in my opinion! Maybe try this instead:

<title>name of content - name of site/company</title>

Use that method on your content pages that way the first thing people see if the name of the content.. and if they search your domain on google.com then they'll see your company name first. This always gives me great SEO traffic.

scodal, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  10. shirsc2

shirsc2 Peon

Best Answers:
    Since I changed the title tag to the shorter version, Bluetooth Technology - page specific title, my traffic has gone up 17% since the previous week!

I don't know if it was the title tag that did it or if my site was just moving up the rankings but it definitely didn't hurt.

Thanks for the help everyone

shirsc2, Apr 26, 2007 IP
  11. Comenius

Comenius Peon

Best Answers:
    What CMS are you using? If it's Joomla, there are free addons like JoomSEO that will let you flip around the page names and site names within your title tags, or suppress the site name altogether.

Even if you're not using Joomla, I'd be surprised if there wasn't something similar with your CMS.

I'm told the best practice is Page Name | Site Name or just Page Name if you want to maximize your SERPS.

Comenius, Apr 26, 2007 IP