1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

10 PR 6 links - how will they effect on my PR - now 4?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by Julia-IT-Inventors, Aug 18, 2005.

10 links from PR 6 sites - how will they effect on my PR - now it is 4?

Julia-IT-Inventors, Aug 18, 2005 IP
  2. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    ooh, ooh, ooh ask me, ask me, I know the answer to this one.. It will go up :D

Seriously, without getting into the dark realms of the worthless measure that PR is (unless you sell or trade links), there is not enough info in your post to answer.

Technically a page can share up to 85% or so of its own page rank, so a PR6 can share up to PR5.1 . This is then diveided between the number of links on the page (internal and external, although Google have stated that PR flows 'more freely' between pages on the same site.

Another thing to consider is that PR6 can in fact be as low as PR6.0001 or as high as 6.9999 (I have only used 4 decimal places for ease of reading, I have absolutely no idea how many placed the Algo runs to.)

So a link from a PR6.999 with only 6 out going links might be worth up to PR0.99 whereas a link from a pr6.0001 with 20 links on it can only give as a maximum amount.PR0.255 . Hopefully that has explained it enough to get a better grasp. There are many other factors though that effect the way PR is handled, so there is no point in thinking that a PR6 with 10 links will give you a minimum boos of PR anything, as it isn't that simple to calculate.

Old Welsh Guy, Aug 18, 2005 IP
    dct likes this.
  3. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    *watches as that post goes over everyone's head*

lorien1973, Aug 18, 2005 IP
  4. Yukio

Yukio Peon

Best Answers:
    lol I read the first half of it until my eyes glazed over. It's too late in the night to concentrate.

Yukio, Aug 18, 2005 IP
  5. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It's a very good and detailed post, but to simplify it (I think)....

A page showing a PR6 on the goggle toolbar might almost be a PR7 (6.999) or just barely a PR6 (6.001) - so not all PR6 (or PR5, etc) pages are equal in actual PR.

The Page Rank that passes to your site depends on how many outgoing links the page has - i.e. a page where the only outgoing link is to your site is worth far more than a page with 50 outgoing links.

Conclusion: There is no way to tell exactly what a certain link will make your page. It could stay a PR4, or it could increase to a PR6 (probably not likely). It all depends on if the linking page is a 6.01 or a 6.99 (and you cannot tell this*) and how many outgoing links the page has. It also depends if your PR4 is really a PR4.001 or PR4.999.

* If the home page is a PR6 and the internal links from that page are also a PR6, it usually indicates that the home page is a "strong" PR6 (close to a PR7).

Note:

Toolbar PR can be faked using a 302 redirect.

Toolbar PR is not current since it only updates every 3 or so months. A site could have lost or gained links and the "new/current" PR will not show until the next update. PR passes based on the current, internal PR - which you cannot determine.

10 PR6 links from different sites is better than 10 PR6 links from the same site since sitewide links do not pass as much PR.

mjewel, Aug 18, 2005 IP
  6. Julia-IT-Inventors

Julia-IT-Inventors Active Member

Best Answers:
    thanks for the answers guys :)

actually all these links are from article site with PR 6 of home page, and my artciles are placed on separate pages with PR also 6. There are not many other links on them.

Julia-IT-Inventors, Aug 18, 2005 IP
  7. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Even simpler: May help a little more it may help a lot.

Even simpler: Link Good!

lorien1973, Aug 18, 2005 IP
    cashmirrors likes this.
  8. cashmirrors

cashmirrors Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yep, Link Good.

This should end all PR related discussion in this and all other threads.

Seriously people. PR is about as useful a measure of your website as what I had for breakfast (mashed potatos and Irish stew if anyone cares - went out last night so was hungry this morning, and haven't been to the supermarket for a few days).

cashmirrors, Aug 18, 2005 IP
  9. dejaone

dejaone Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Julie, if the article site you're talking about is ezinearticle, the toolbar PR6 you saw on any article is PR0, not PR6. The site uses dynamic URL.

dejaone, Aug 18, 2005 IP
  10. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    As an example, after the last update. 1 site I had went to a PR4 (from 0) it was new and had 1/2 a page of info on it. It had 1 link to it. (no, not a more powerful link than the example below)

Another where I had built quality links, has 60 or so pages indexed, went up to a PR2.

OWG is 100% right about the scale of PR. You can check the google directory and see the differences in PR (that come up as the same PR in the toolbar).

For example, I have 2 PR5s, 1 is a 'powerful' PR5 and the other is a 'weak' PR5.

So even with all that info, the calculation it is not always accurate and if you are busy spending time working out what PR you will get, then you are doing nothing to improve your rankings anyway. ;)

Design Agent, Aug 18, 2005 IP
  11. Julia-IT-Inventors

Julia-IT-Inventors Active Member

Best Answers:
    yes, it is. but how it can be? can you explain please?

Julia-IT-Inventors, Aug 19, 2005 IP