1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Programming ethics debate

Discussion in 'Directories' started by LeopardAt1, Apr 13, 2007.

1. rtchar

rtchar Peon

Best Answers:
    Well since everyone else is weighing in on this topic ...

As a fellow "coder" I see nothing wrong with picking up an idea and trying to make it better, faster, or port it into another language. This has been going on since the dawn of computers and will continue.

There is actually very few original ideas when it comes to programming. I bet I could find 10-20 examples of deep link directories that pre-date an0n's idea. I would even bet some existed before he was even born.

Stealing the work or source code of someone else should be punishable by death (or at least civil action), but creating your own version is OK.

Do you guys actually think Microsoft invented the spreadsheet? :)

rtchar, Apr 13, 2007 IP
    LeopardAt1 and romow like this.
  2. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You'll see a lot of cellphones out there but they stick with the brands unless its a rip off.

popotalk, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  3. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I support Malcolm1 --

The creators should make patent as soon as they create something original.

While rtchar --says ford could have patented cars in its name --and didn't allow anybody --to make cars:D Lol

While there are lots of mobile phone companies selling networks --I think two technologies are used by all --GSM/CDMA.

Don't know if all the users/network providers have to buy them from the first company that created or those who bought.

I think --over-all its a good debate --we sould express our views.
    If I were to be a coder --I would have patented my creations even before I released them in the market.:cool:

jhnrang, Apr 13, 2007 IP
    LeopardAt1 likes this.
  4. rtchar

rtchar Peon

Best Answers:
    popotalk: Absolutely, and he has a great brand ...

But in the end it is a simple build or buy decision ... and I rarely buy something I can build for myself. :)

rtchar, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  5. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Definetely. There are other scripts out there that needs your help. You can build a lot for those. :)

6. ErectADirectory

ErectADirectory Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm no lawyer, but do you honestly believe that patents apply to ideas for programs? Perhaps the code itself but the idea??? The internet is not the property of any country, hence the lack of tax. Where are you going to enforce this patent???

Now looking at the computer industry . . . How about Apple ripping the "Windows" concept from Xerox to consequently have it stolen by Microsoft . . . then Unix . . . Linux . . . Blackberrys

How many search engine clones are there? Ebay? Myspace? Digg?

How about the directory industry . . . Do you really think any part of a directory is a novel or original concept, RIGHT DOWN TO MULTIPLE DEEP LINKS? This is coming from a directory owner don't think I'm ragging, I'm just being honest.

Now on to ripping code. I would be pissed if I sold someone a hack (mod) then they took my code and started selling it to others. There is code for that, it' called open source. Which is why my directory is a hack of openld. I have no licensing restrictions because it is released under the GNU General Public License.

To be angry because someone likes your idea enough to imitate it (without outright stealing your code) is a little laughable. Have you ever heard that "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"? It's true! You found something that people like and have exploited it to the point of getting dozens of clients and even have a list dedicated to your clients.

Separate from your deep links mod, I would wager that you have enough clients from the rookies that flock to phpld that you have no problem paying your bills every month. If you really want to close your source, pull a cantufind and make your own script and encrypt the source (just don't market it yourself). But when you rely on riding the coat tails of phpld, you are going to get ripped . . . eventually by them.

And directory owners - Learn to change your own friggen oil! I get so sick of hearing you guys glorify and praise mods like they are going to make or break your directory. Spend your time fixing up your directory and your money on advertising. When people say "Pour your heart and soul into your directory" that does not mean sit around at DP and yap about how great your script or programmer is. MAKE YOUR PRODUCT BETTER!

Some of your posts are just nonsense. Look around the internet a bit before posting such ridiculous stuff.

ErectADirectory, Apr 13, 2007 IP
    ryan_uk and saadahmed007 like this.
  7. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    ErectADirectory

Whom are you calling non-sense? Have you read all the posts on the thread? Don't make a post like that without reading the whole of this.
    You seem like a joker--read one of my post and make a conclusion --hohohoh:D

jhnrang, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  8. ErectADirectory

ErectADirectory Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm a joker, I'm a smoker & a midnight toker but it is your post that is nonsense. "the whole world is fighting against it." is the nonsensical part.

Yes I have read the whole thread as, being a programmer, this issue is very much on my brain and I have given it a lot (read: years) of thought.

Leopard, rtchar & Malcolm are the only ones making total sense.

PoPo's comments are good but it is like conceding defeat. "Point is there is already one in PHPLD why not start on other scripts." Well the truth is PHPLD controls about 80% of the market and 99% of the noobies who can't program and think opening a directory is the way to riches. If there is a market for hacks, it is in PHPLD.

That is like saying that "Well media player already exists for windows, there is not room for 2 different software programs that play movies. Go make one for linux" The truth is that very few use Linux and those that do can hack it out themself. There is no market there, but divx seemed to do ok in the windows market because they made their product better. Hmmm

So shall I go on or do you believe I have read the thread. One thing you will notice is that I ALWAYS call a spade a spade and ALWAYS speak the truth as I see it. Sorry this hurt your feelings but I believe that I have done this before with one of your posts. Grow some skin my man and understand that people can have their own unique thoughts and opinions and not follow the "popular" directory owner beliefs. Like Leopard said, if this were posted in the Perl section there would be no argument. This is true everywhere else except here. You guys are too clickish.

ErectADirectory, Apr 13, 2007 IP
    LeopardAt1 and jabb like this.
  9. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That is only my opinion. Honestly PHPLD is good no doubt that is where the market is. What happened to the templates. It was a market of good money and went SPLAT. You can now buy PHPLD Templates for $50. I don't know about how you do business but me in a couple of weeks I'm going out with FULL BLAST of FREE SITE SIFT TEMPLATES for Download. I'll be coming out with TEMPLATES for SALE CUSTOMIZED for SITE SIFT.

In 6 Months time MAYBE just MAYBE there will be a NEW SCRIPT coming out and I WANT the FIRST TO BE THERE to SUPPLY this NEW SCRIPT with MODS and TEMPLATES.

Meanwhile please enjoy everyone if you make the thing now. A far outlook is much better. Anyway most of the guys know where to go. So what pleases anyone is not of my concern since I know where to go.

But always Good Luck to Everyones endeavours.

Download Your Future Site Sift Templates Here

:D

ErectADirectory likes this.
  10. veridicus

veridicus Peon

Best Answers:
    LeopardAt1 is definitely on the right side. If you want to program something and not destribute it, feel free! And if people didn't re-create other people's work we wouldn't have competing text editors, forums, web servers, or cars. So compete and make a better product.

I'm a software developer and completely against software patents. A computer program is not an invention. The only reason software patents are currently allowed is because "business ideas" can be patented. But patents were always intended for only physical inventions, not abstract ideas. Code is covered under copyright, anyway, so it's already got IP protection.

veridicus, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  11. LeopardAt1

LeopardAt1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Thank you to those who agree with me. Erect-rtchar-verdicus--- fellow programmers agreeing my view.

When it comes to coding, even if the idea is the same, thers always room for programming the idea so its improved. ---It can be anytype of improvement--security, efficiency, or compatibility.

For example (an0n will not be capable of answering yes to any question below, except for 1 where he maybe has to research a bit):
    ----
    My RSS News mod combined with DHTML

First of all an0n, was it your idea first to even have RSS feeds on a web site?
    Do you even know how RSS feeds originated? Was your site the first to syndicate Yahoo! News from using their RSS feeds?

Plus, does your "News" Mod offer a border around its images? (I find it quite annoying to read text right beside a image with no padding)

---------
    So in the end---yes I did take a concept that is used throughout many sites, not just yours an0n. But I also took the concept, built a custom code from scratch and improved it and used it for my web site. And your calling me "plagarist" because of that?

In a history class, students can complete the teacher's assignment of writing a topic on the battle of Gettysburg. But only a few will get A's.

Believe me an0n, I never "ripped" anyones code and claimed it for myself. When it comes to PERL---I build only original work. When it comes to oSCommerce or phpLD---I'm your typical programming "hacker"---ones who are able to read PHP, modifiy it, write new lines, perhaps tweak here and there, use open source code (like the lastRSS.php) and able to incorporate it.

And as with building original work---I sort of just got started, the RSS news mod took me 2 days to develop. I have some ideas of cool mods for phpLD that may take 2-3 weeks to develop---all original. :)

LeopardAt1, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  12. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    your post is comical to say the least. but I'll just quote what you think you know about me and just agree.

you're funny.

make your original mods and people will welcome them. harp on existing mods and people will frown upon you and them.

an0n, Apr 13, 2007 IP
    iPod likes this.
  13. iPod

iPod Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Okay! I just read this whole thread! Took a while....So we are talking about Ethics!

Well for me ethics are:

~ORIGINALITY
    ~INNOVATION
    ~HONESTY
    ~UNDERSTANDING
    ~SUPPORT (Added By Malcolm :))

What's not acceptable? Rip Offs!

I have been reading about these issues for a while. Now let me make this clearer with an example!

Everyone knows about AliveDirectory... Now why don't you start a directory named AliveWebDirectory
    You know what, i will call it a damn steal....a damn RIP. it's just an example. And i think it illustrates and explains many many things here!

Those who can will get the point here. Those who can't, well then i don't think there should be any debate then :p

iPod, Apr 13, 2007 IP
    an0n likes this.
  14. LeopardAt1

LeopardAt1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It would definetly be easier if I heard of phpLd way sooner. It seems like every mod out there is done.

For example, some mods like your RSS news one, I saw and realized I could build and add to it--so I did. The PR updater mod---I know I can build the same exact thing but I chose not too becaues its already built so good, I couldn't think of anything to add.

LeopardAt1, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  15. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well I will leave this thread to the PROGRAMMERS themselves. But before that just one thing to say. CLIENTS and CUSTOMERS.

Everyone can create 100's even 1000's. Good Luck with the Clients. :)

16. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I would be interested in a deeplinks mod that incorporates the links into the description text, could that be done and how much would it cost to code that from scratch?

jg123, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  17. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Can't agree more. But its really interesting though:)

jhnrang, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  18. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The way it works is

you enter all of your titles to urls, ok?

url to be used is associated with a numerical value.

so here is an example:

Title1: Bid Web Directory
    URL1:http://www.webdirectorybid.com/

Title1: Directory Web Bidding

Title1: Bidding Web Directroy

How the description works:

#3 based on a bidding system which promotes a healthy, yet competitive environment for website promotional and end user brand recognition. The #2 starts at $1 and is automatically adjusted and incremented after payment has been processed. Our #1 is highly promoted as resides amongst some of the most pristine web directories our there today.

which translates into this when in your directory:

Bidding Web Directory based on a bidding system which promotes a healthy, yet competitive environment for website promotional and end user brand recognition. The Directory Web Bidding starts at $1 and is automatically adjusted and incremented after payment has been processed. Bid Web Directory is highly promoted as resides amongst some of the most pristine web directories our there today.

I'll say it now, and for the last time, I have MODs I have never released to allow for expansion, because I am not greedy, and I invite innovation. Why people stay stuck on one thing is just hilarious. If these other 'programmers' had even half a brain(yes i am antagonizing you now) you would be on the up and up and making some *NEW* things, rather than relying on someone elses ideas.

I think I've said enough in this thread. I have clientele to tend to, and more MODs to innovate. What are you guys up to? hahaha

Rob

an0n, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  19. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    ahhhh damm let me find out someone is rippen my anchor text ....heheheh

drop your money at www.bid-dir.com the Origanal "Bidding Web Directory"

@ IPOD ....you forgot the most important thing,...SUPPORT

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Apr 13, 2007 IP
  20. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    By yahoo phone, yahoo chat, email, msn, aim, icq, regular phone, DP PMs, phpld PMs.... I'm there.

And not a single person would say otherwise. and that *IS* a fact.
    I'm not just a programmer, I'm a friend.

p0w!

i'm out.

an0n, Apr 13, 2007 IP