1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Time To Try Again?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Grokodile, Apr 11, 2007.

I was in DMOZ (for Grokodile) but was dropped back out. I was actually able to get some feedback, it's not impossible but probably rare.

Anyway, based on the feedback I got I think that I had fallen behind on removing spam from the directory. It's also possible that featured entries simply looked like spam as well.

So, as well as cleaning out offending poor quality MFA, affiliate and related blogs and sites, I've added a "report" capability that places any entry back in the review queue. Also, default and featured entries are marked so that they can't be mistaken for spam.

Now I just have to get the courage to submit my site... :rolleyes:

Should I try again now or should I wait a while to avoid "spamming" them with frequent addition attempts?

Grokodile, Apr 11, 2007 IP
  2. martty

martty Banned

Best Answers:
    There is no need to submit more than once, then move on and forget about it.

martty, Apr 11, 2007 IP
  3. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep, people are really paranoid today, my little 2000 pages mulitlanguage website keeps getting declared commercial spam or having excessive advertising while at the same time globalsecurity.org (which split from fas.org) and has even used my little website as source in few cases has several thousand pages listed at wiki (almost 300 in DMOZ) and more ads then me! :rolleyes:

Why do I get the felling that some persons are using rules as excuse for personal revenges? :mad:

Ivan Bajlo, Apr 12, 2007 IP
  4. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    I only took a very quick look, but Grokodile confused me. It says it's a directory of blogs but when I clicked into it I saw websites. :confused: What am I missing?

compostannie, Apr 12, 2007 IP
    Richie_Ni likes this.
  5. Grokodile

Grokodile Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Annie, by default you should be shown blogs. However, when there are zero entries in an area (which happens a fair amount still because it has basically every city in North America listed) you will see the wikipedia page (tagged as default) and then some commercial ads (tagged as feature).

To help deal with this the right hand side has lists of popular entries and new entries. Here's an example page that has it's own blogs listed already...

http://www.grokodile.com/dir/USA/Michigan/?loc=Detroit

I do take this stuff seriously, so if it's still confusing to people, then I should probably wait until I have more content before submitting to DMOZ... or find ways to make things clearer -- as a free directory I do need to have some avenues to earn revenue.

I just wish it was easier to get quality entries!

Grokodile, Apr 12, 2007 IP
  6. Grokodile

Grokodile Peon

Best Answers:
    Martty, as much as people like to state that, it is a bit more confusing than that because we never know if a previous request might still be sitting around the queue.

I was listed. I was unlisted. I may have reapplied, I honestly can't remember if I did or when exactly if I did. I managed to get some feedback. I've made changes based on what I heard.

Now, there is no way to know if I'm still in the queue for review or if I should add myself to the queue. I've also heard rumor, though who knows what is true, that if people resubmit frequently they may get tagged for it.

In any case, after being removed, there is certainly need to submit again at some point, at least if the site has changed and the issues present (if one can guess what they were) have been addressed. For example, sometimes the issue may be not enough content, but that can change with time. Things do change... not all submissions are for crap MFA and affiliate sites that will never be worth listing.

Grokodile, Apr 12, 2007 IP