1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Saddest Story Ever Told

Discussion in 'Reporting & Stats' started by ElvisFan, Aug 17, 2005.

1. subhendu

subhendu Peon

Best Answers:
    My only suggestion is, 'give up' and be satisfied with what is desitned for you. pls dont work for what is not destined. this may sound spiritual, but it's true. pls don't go against the nature. it 'may' sometimes give you benefits, but not for long runs. do what pleases you and money will flow..that's what my f-i-l says. And i've experienced, that's true.

subhendu, Aug 17, 2005 IP
  2. e10

e10 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Okay Elvisfan, that page is a good example. You can´t blame Adsense for serving Elvis Tribute ads when it is tripping over Elvis three times in the title alone. Just as an experiment try with this one page to reword the title and intro.

I am not in the car biz, but would have thought Cadillacs, limousines and classic cars owned by Elvis as the title may tone down Elvis and up the car quotient.

Also write your own intro followed by the article header and writer's intro.

Cadillacs, limousines, sports cars, top-of-the-range classic cars... if you have always dreamed of driving blah blah......

Again cars are not my thing but I hope I am explaing what I mean a little. De-emphasize Elvis while staying on the general topic. It might be easier to try with a fresh content page.

e10, Aug 17, 2005 IP
  3. ElvisFan

ElvisFan Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all your suggestions about my site.

Can I say my problem is not my traffic or my click ratio - all that is working well enough.

My issue is - I got 250+ clicks on adsense - my earnings (wait for it) was a mere 30+ bucks.... - because adsense is featuring SH*TY ads on all my pages

What I would like is ads for Elvis Movies (I have the content for that topic) Elvis Music ( I have plenty of content for that topic too) .... however with such SH*TY adsense ads such as: Elvis Weddings .... I have no hope...

"Jump over to pay per lead" Girl I'm listening tell me more... thanks

ElvisFan, Aug 17, 2005 IP
  4. subhendu

subhendu Peon

Best Answers:
    u can't help, fan....u're supposed to flow what's there in the air... i hope u follow it. :D

Carlito likes this.
  5. ElvisFan

ElvisFan Peon

Best Answers:
    I was also born on the 8 of January... so I also have a cosmic connection!

However, give me an offer I can't refuse LOL

6. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    You are just in a segment that doesn't cost much to advertise in. There are a lot of such things.

I just don't think you can expect to make huge adsense money from a site with such a narrow niche as yours that doesn't attract big advertisers.

Am kind of curious what kind of topics do you get for your site in terms of advertising?

aeiouy, Aug 17, 2005 IP
  7. subhendu

subhendu Peon

Best Answers:
    8th jan, 2005??

8. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    My first impression was you aren't going to do much better, but the reality is you are probably going to be able to do a lot better. Shop around.. Have you looked at some of the bigger site middlemen? Contextual ads are not good for your site. You need ads that will deliver content that your visitors might also be interested in. Have you checked into places like tribalfusion?

aeiouy, Aug 17, 2005 IP
  9. Ch-Nauman

Ch-Nauman Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you want to amplify your CTR always place adsense rectangle at the center of each of your content page .So if visitor reads through the page ads surely happen to strike on his eyes. And don't forget to merge your adsense bg color with the color of your page .I am getting 4/5% CTR in this way.:cool:

Ch-Nauman, Aug 17, 2005 IP
  10. seckin

seckin Peon

Best Answers:
    I completely agree. I witnessed many cases like this.

seckin, Aug 17, 2005 IP
  11. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    But would someone interested in reading about Elvis give a rat's ass about Cadillac ads? :confused:

I've never understood why people insist on having ads that don't really have anything to do with the site's theme. You are an entertainment site that talks about Elvis, what kind of ads do you expect?

fryman, Aug 17, 2005 IP
  12. ElvisFan

ElvisFan Peon

Best Answers:
    So what you are saying is that Elvis fans

Don't buy cars
    Don't buy DVD's
    Don't buy CD's
    Don't travel
    Don't go on cruises
    Don't need insurance
    Don't buy Christmas or birthday or Mother's Day or Father's gifts

Give me a break....

13. sachin410

sachin410 Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    IF YOU CANT BEAT THEM,....... JOIN THEM

I know it doesnt sound too good, but we cant get advertisers to pay more unless they see real benefit coming from the clicks. I have noticed that ads related to anything online tend to have a higher payout (online dating, online jobs, web hosting etc). Just as an example, I went through overture bids for "web hosting " today. All first 40 bids were 1$+.

You have a choice between whether you want to make a site about subject you love or a something that will make you money. I do a balancing act - made a site for both. :) Maybe you can consider the same.

sachin410, Aug 17, 2005 IP
  14. GADOOD

GADOOD Peon

Best Answers:
    Or buy Elvis stuff (memrobelia, signed stuff etc) off eBay and sell it for 4 times the price on your website. Place your offers above the fold and take PayPal payments.

Pete

GADOOD, Aug 17, 2005 IP
  15. e10

e10 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The guy is looking (or at least that is what I got from his first post) for higher paying AS ads. Why would a dyed in the wool Elvis fan not click on a cadillac ad or a Memphis hotel. All I am saying is wrap a little bit of your content round things appropriate to Elvis that might actually create some money. Anyway ... obviously a lead balloon so forget I mentioned it.

e10, Aug 17, 2005 IP
  16. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    The problem is that people focus so much on changing their content trying to get ads that have nothing to do with their site that they forget about their visitors. I also have an entertainment site that gets one-cent clicks, but I don't go around screwing my pages trying to force ads that have nothing to do with my site. And elvisfan, your last post is nonsense, I'm sure if one of your visitors wants to go on a cruise the last place he will look for information about it would be an elvis site.

fryman, Aug 17, 2005 IP
  17. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    Well that is kind of how a lot of advertising works. Cars advertise on golf tournaments because they know people who buy cars watch golf. You don't have to advertise to a contextual market all the time. While it is nice and gets some nice tie-ins, it is not always the optimal way to place advertising.

In this particular case it is clearly not the right way to place advertising. Why would someone interested in Elvis be into Cadillacs? Perhaps because the people likely to be interested in Elvis are also people likely to buy Cadillacs.

In fact that is how most advertising is placed. People don't have to own a sporting goods store to advertise on a sports talk station. You just have to have a product that appeals to people who listen to sports talk radio.

I don't think adsense is the right program in this case, so I will agree he doesn't need to focus on trying to change adsense. He needs to use other tools to get different ad placement.

aeiouy, Aug 17, 2005 IP
  18. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Whatever... just seems ridiculous that most of the posts here are from people complaining that they are getting ads that have nothing to do with their site, and this guy actually wants that.

And how can you compare a gold tournament with the net? The main goal of Adsense is having people CLICKING on your ads. You can put up a banner announcing cadillacs, but having people cliking on it is the hard part. If I go to an elvis site, and I see an ad that offers more information about elvis, I sure would think about cliking on it, but if I see an add offering me to insure my car, what the heck does that have to do with my interest about Elvis?

You can put any ad you want, but if you don't have the targeted audience you are wasting your time.

fryman, Aug 17, 2005 IP
  19. ElvisFan

ElvisFan Peon

Best Answers:
    So what you are saying is that Elvis fans need

an Elvis wig
    a Trust
    DYI Will kit
    A Wedding Chapel

So what you are saying again again that Elvis fans would never - ever come to my site to learn about cheap flights to Memphis or where to stay in Memphis .... and yes, they do offer cruises for Elvis fans

What I am asking is that some of my ads reflect the demographics of my visitors because NOT every single visitor to my site is an avid fan. And it may surprise you that most Elvis fans are into vintage Cadillacs ....

I'll say it again - give me a break...

20. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    *yawn*... whatever dude... good luck getting people to click on your unrelated ads...

fryman, Aug 17, 2005 IP