1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is building subdomains for each city state bad or lame?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by movingconcierge, Apr 11, 2007.

I want to build a site for the states and wonder if creating subs like california.domain.com is unnecessary or bad in anyway. Actually is it beneficial?

movingconcierge, Apr 11, 2007 IP
  2. LazyD

LazyD Peon

Best Answers:
    Each subdomain is treated as a seperate site by Google. In effect, for every state it would be treated as its own site and will have to earn Backlinks, PR, etc all individualy/seperately..

Whether that is good or bad depends on what your doing....

LazyD, Apr 11, 2007 IP
    movingconcierge likes this.
  3. SEO Madrid

SEO Madrid Peon

Best Answers:
    I think in your case it makes more sense for you to create subfolders instead of subdomains so they can get the benefit of the popularity of the domain.

SEO Madrid, Apr 11, 2007 IP
  4. movingconcierge

movingconcierge Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your insightful answers. rep+

movingconcierge, Apr 11, 2007 IP
  5. ewc21

ewc21 Peon

Best Answers:
    If each subdomain will contain a considerable amount of content/pages, it is worth doing so. Having a subdomain creates enables two pages of your site to appear on one search result page as they have different URLs.

But it entails more maintenance work so if you have 50+ subdomains consider the maintenance effort. If you have no other significant purpose, I'd suggest you go for subfolders instead.

ewc21, Apr 11, 2007 IP