1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Content..? Is this a smart move?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Klaas Koopman, Aug 3, 2005.

1. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I too am looking for a similar script that most article sites will agree with.

GeorgeB., Aug 16, 2005 IP
  2. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    You won't find one that all article sites allow. Both ezinearticles and goarticles have added the stipulation that these type of scripts are against their TOS

I believe we are the first ones to offer a comprehensive one

yfs1, Aug 16, 2005 IP
  3. kalius

kalius Peon

Best Answers:
    Does a webmaster of a quality website want's this? I Would never publish an article in one of my websites that I haven't read, and that I haven't manually checked where the links go to.

I believe YS1 software might be a good move for him, but I don't see many people using it for good purposes.

YS1 you should read the black hat seo forums, blogs, etc to keep up to date since you have an article website, It could be helpfull for your bussiness.

kalius, Aug 16, 2005 IP
    yfs1 likes this.
  4. yfs1

Best Answers:
    We aren't interested in Blackhat uses. Our software pulls from our site only (all articles are reviewed), and has the capabilty to pull by category or by keywords so it delivers relevant articles.

You also control the HTML around the articles for a seamless integration into your existing site

Furthermore it has an integrated control panel so that you can remove any articles you might not want. This gives you an oppurtunity to do as much or as little quality control as you want.

It is meant to supplement a site with good content, not to be a scraper to build copycat sites.

When we officially release it, I think you will find we had quality in mind from the beginning. A blackhat tool would have been much easier and cheaper to create but we are looking at building a long term resource

yfs1, Aug 16, 2005 IP
  5. kalius

kalius Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry YS1 I mean you should see what they are using so you can protect the site from other scrapper programs out there.

kalius, Aug 16, 2005 IP
  6. yfs1

Best Answers:
    You mean to protect Article Depot from scrapers?

I'm a bit confused.

By the way, I appreciate your comments as we hope to keep improving the software to meet concerns and the only way we can do that is by people criticizing it.

yfs1, Aug 16, 2005 IP
  7. kalius

kalius Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah by looking at you're site your software isn't what a black hat will want anyway. (thats a good thing for you :) )

Now if you can do this it will be very good:

send the article as $_POST variables to an url , and I can customize the variables like
    send title as $_post['title']
    send body as $_post['b']

etc etc.

The custom html is good but this will be very good for dynamic sites (I think)

kalius, Aug 16, 2005 IP
  8. JSource

JSource Banned

Best Answers:
    I didn't come here for personal attacks but hey thats fine. Syndicated content is not what your site offers you offer articles that one can use. Syndicated content is RSS and thats not what your providing. I never said syndicated content could hurt, what I said is duplicated content like free articles (Not RSS Feeds).

Lets look at your site for example. I'll assume your going for these keywords since they are in your Title:
    Free Articles
    Article Database
    Article Collections

You don't show up on google for any of those. And with over 23,000 pages you should be a lot higher then a PR3. But don't listen to me I'm a newbie. People should be more friendly... or maybe that was the reason for the second post.

JSource, Aug 16, 2005 IP
  9. JSource

JSource Banned

Best Answers:

Who said I wasn't willing to pay for original content? I just paid over $1k for original content, I'm a HUGE believer in original content.

I'm not talking about RSS feeds, look at my original post I commented on a free article site... We are talking about these free articles that are posted on hundreds of sites that are all the same. Not RSS Feeds.

Duplicate content is not always bad and will always exist in one way or the other. News websites are the best example of duplicate content. A good mix of duplicate content and original content is okay but once your site starts being more duplicate then original your in trouble.

JSource, Aug 16, 2005 IP
  10. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'd never use this on a quality site. Just as an experiment to see if I could build a full site based on these articles. It would be a throw away site. Nothing I'd invest a "considerable" amount of money and/or time into. If it works, great, if not, move on. Once things got rolling, I figure adding fresh articles once in a while should be nough to maintain the PR so i could use it for transferring PR and minimal traffic to related sites.

GeorgeB., Aug 16, 2005 IP
  11. kalius

kalius Peon

Best Answers:
    RSS is just a <b>form </b> of syndicated content.

but you said:

If you hate duplicate content so much (or free articles etc) why you want to profit from it?

kalius, Aug 16, 2005 IP
    prowess likes this.
  12. yfs1

Best Answers:
    Huh? Did you happen to look at the date I started the site. If I was able to rank 1st in Google and attain a PR7 within 2 months of creating a site, I would just be doing that.

Article Depot is a service site for webmasters...Remember those? I SEO for my visitors benefits not for the SEO as I am not about to ruin their experience for a quick ranking.

If it gets a high ranking from competetive keywords, so be it

When did I personally attack you? Since when is being a newbie an insult. I assumed you were a newbie because of the way you were reciting myths like they were a fact. If that insulted you, then I'm sorry

yfs1, Aug 16, 2005 IP
  13. yfs1

Best Answers:
    I think you are commenting without actually looking at the actual software. It isn't meant as a complete site builder. It is to help those already looking to supplement their unique content.

I doubt someone is going to use it to just create a junk site. It wouldn't be worth it. Instead it was developed to blend into an existing site and add value for your visitors.

If you want to just build crap sites to get pages indexed, ther are tons of black hat scripts out there for free. That isn't the market we are catering to.

yfs1, Aug 16, 2005 IP
  14. Padawan

Padawan Peon

Best Answers:
    Why not speak to our mutual friend, MJ ?

If you are looking for an easy way to add articles to your site, rather than "pulling" them from elsewhere, then he has put a similar concept on one of my sites and is beginning to work on something similar for another 3 sites as we speak :)

Padawan, Aug 16, 2005 IP
  15. kalius

kalius Peon

Best Answers:
    YS1: on your article stream pages the folowing links don't work:
    at the bottom:
    Last 50 Submitted | Contact Article Depot

and the top row the contact us link

kalius, Aug 16, 2005 IP
  16. yfs1

Best Answers:
    Mind sharing what you are hinting at with the class :D

yfs1, Aug 16, 2005 IP
  17. kalius

kalius Peon

Best Answers:
    It smells like a WJ in the making.

I don't think I will hold too much hope for a webmaster retaed site with so many broken links. I was nice and told him about this a few weeks ago and he haven't done anything.

kalius, Aug 16, 2005 IP
  18. yfs1

Best Answers:
    By the way, can you explain why recieving "duplicate" content through RSS is ideal while actual putting it on a html page incurs an SE penalty?

Both methods need to be used inteligently and just because something isn't delivered via RSS doesn't make it grounds for a penalty.

We also offer over 170 RSS feeds. Are those somehow "different" than cut and pasting code. No. Its just a delivery method.

yfs1, Aug 16, 2005 IP
  19. JSource

JSource Banned

Best Answers:
    I didn't say it was ideal but thats not what I was taking about... 170 RSS feeds is not a good thing either. The difference with RSS feeds is its dynamic, its always changing. Static HTML pages stay the same forever and RSS feeds come and go. Unless you cache the RSS feeds forever which would not be a very good idea.

As for your site... it doesn't matter when you started it you have that many back links and your only a PR3 and you do not rank for any of your keywords. Sure you can say you did it on purpose for your fellow webmaster, but lets be honest that's not what happened. If that was the case you wouldn't have those keywords in your title, and you wouldn't have "free website content" in your signature (another keyword that doesn't rank).

I can't believe you think the duplicate content filter and punishment is a rumor.. Google it and see what you find. If anything your own site proves that. 49,000 link popularity and a PR3 with no ranking keywords. And i'm being called the newbie...

JSource, Aug 16, 2005 IP
  20. JSource

JSource Banned

Best Answers:
    RSS is dynamic it comes and goes and its not static thats a big difference.

As for me trying to profit from duplicate content... I have no idea where you came up with that idea. Please read the posts again.

JSource, Aug 16, 2005 IP