1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Protecting Whois and Google SEO

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by gdtechind, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    if seo's wait for proof on anything instead of trying things out, they wouldn't be very successful IMO. If I see something in the Google patent and it makes sense to me, why not go for it.

Blogmaster, Aug 15, 2005 IP
  2. kalius

kalius Peon

Best Answers:
    But most of the latest G! patents are just bussiness stuff, from the latest "Evil Corporation" (tm). The real goals are:

To prevent others to pattent it.
    Provide's broad pattent defense.

I see Google is just playing the pattent game, and scaring SEO's is just a side effect ( avery good one thou).

kalius, Aug 15, 2005 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  3. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    Right, but then again, you never know. And once again: not everyone should be doing the same thing in order to rank. What gets me in threads like these is how people are trying to simplify the alogorithm and trying to find a quick "yes" or "no" answer. The posts from Minstrel have comedic value, but when newbies come on here, they should have a "Don't bother reading" warning attached to them.

4. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    well said man

Shoemoney, Aug 15, 2005 IP
  5. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Please stop following me around posting nonsense, Toots.

minstrel, Aug 15, 2005 IP
  6. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    No one is following you, Minnie. But your posts stick out amongst all others for stating pure garbage as fact and then trying to convince others of it.

7. kalius

kalius Peon

Best Answers:
    :D But that is what google wants!!! If all of us do the same it's easy to flush all SEO's and their sites out of the index.

Most people around forums just follow the leader or the community consensus. I have even seen it happen here.

I value your posts and opinions a lot sitetutor because you don't follow the zombie crowds.

kalius, Aug 15, 2005 IP
    Blogmaster likes this.
  8. Googles76

Googles76 Peon

Best Answers:
    Why would Google want to flush us out of its index? We are the ones that are making them money.

Googles76, Aug 15, 2005 IP
  9. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    I have to admit that I don't know what you are talking about when you say register by proxy. Can you explain how to do this please?

compar, Aug 15, 2005 IP
  10. Willy

Willy Peon

Best Answers:
    For those interested in registering domains by proxy, just remember that even this form of Whois protection isn't perfect: "DNS crawler" services such as Whois.sc record all Whois changes into their database, said Whois history being accessible by subscribing to their Silver membership.

So basically whatever the Whois info was before it became protected, it's still available by paying a small fee. This means that in the end, pretty much the only thing Whois protection is really useful for is cutting down on spam due to your e-mail not showing up in the Whois database; protecting the actual ownership information of a domain, except against "casual misuse", may not be possible in practice (if you care about it).

Willy, Aug 15, 2005 IP
  11. Willy

Willy Peon

Best Answers:
    It means that your registrar, such as GoDaddy, eNom, or somesuch, will act as proxy to take "ownership" of the domain, resulting in their information (name, e-mail, address) being shown in the Whois database instead of your own; you will, however, continue to "own" the domain through a contractual relationship with the proxy. Registrars that offer this service typically charge $1-$10 for it per domain per year.

Check http://www.domainsbyproxy.com/ or http://registerfly.com/protectfly/ for more information.

Willy, Aug 15, 2005 IP
    Blogmaster and compar like this.
  12. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    I highly advise against doing this.

The register folds VERY EASY to c&d.

I have lost 2 domains to a register (godaddy) that offered this service. Just becareful what sites you want to give up ownership on. Yes I know you think your not but read your TOS. They can and will fold very easy.

13. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    I knew of a case where someone who registered this way and was hosting on the registrar's servers couldn't move the domain when they wanted to. It was a ".info" domain in this particular case.

compar, Aug 15, 2005 IP
  14. larysmith711

larysmith711 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    larysmith711, Aug 15, 2005 IP
  15. Willy

Willy Peon

Best Answers:
    Very sorry to hear that, Shoemoney :( Can't say that I have heard too many good things about GoDaddy (Domains By Proxy is their service) in general and this doesn't increase my confidence in them one bit...

BTW, here's a news piece I stumbled across just now: "A librarian is accusing one of the country's largest domain registrars of illegitimately exposing his personal information."

Personally, I haven't used GoDaddy for years due to other issues (for those not in the know, WebHostingTalk is a very good place to read up on registrars.) I'm very happy with my current registrar, RegisterFly, and since their Whois protection costs only $1/domain/year it's been an easy option to add. It's too bad some rotten eggs give the whole concept a bad rep.

So, it's worthwhile and necessary to think about the possible repercussions (and the gotchas I outlined earlier in this thread) before signing up to any Whois protection service, since should the registrar decide to act willfully they do have full control over your domain, and the only way to escalate your "theoretical ownership" back to "active ownership" would be to sue their arse (in the U.S., no less.) In the end, it comes down to how much you trust them; if you agree with Andy Grove that "only the paranoid survive", you may certainly want to think twice.

Willy, Aug 15, 2005 IP
  16. Nitin M

Nitin M White/Gray/Black Hat

Best Answers:
    Shoemoney, can you explain this:
    What is "c&d" and how do you "lose domains" with private registrations? I have hundreds of private registrations with GoDaddy. :confused:

Nitin M, Aug 15, 2005 IP
  17. Willy

Willy Peon

Best Answers:
    I imagine "c&d" means a "cease and desist" order...

Willy, Aug 15, 2005 IP
  18. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    Lets say you own britneysucks.com and you private reg it cause you think it gives you some protection.

godaddy gets a cease and decist to turn over the domain to the copyright owner for britney spears or whatever. They promptly comply.

I had that exact scenario happen to me.

also by using there registrant information you are lumping yourself with alot of people that are in bad neighborhoods. the first thing a spammer does for new domains after registering for a year is make them private to be harder to detect. This is precicely what google is talking about with some of its patents. Dont know if its actually being done but it is cited.

19. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    I still have over 1200 domains with them. I just learned a good lesson with the private reg stuff.

Nitin M likes this.
  20. Nitin M

Nitin M White/Gray/Black Hat

Best Answers:
    Gotya. Thanks for the info.

Nitin M, Aug 15, 2005 IP