1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How did you start out a programmer? Advice for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Ratman2050, Apr 8, 2007.

As the title well states, I am curious what it takes to be a programmer. I want to learn a few languages such as Java, PHP, and C++. I am unfamiliar how to do so. My parents are not modern people, and as doctor's don't appreciate technology as much as I do. So I have not much support from them.

How did you start out and what is the best way to begin learning? I know books are good, and reading online, but I feel a hands on experience is required. I wanted to go to a few summer camps to learn as well.

Is it difficult? Does it take an intelligent person to accomplish programming? What are your advices to me?

Is it good to take courses on programming. I have a book on PHP and MySQL, and it is confusing, but I get the basics. I would rather have a person teach me, then reading from books. I am more of marketing type of guy, but want to be a developer and help out our online communities by creating a useful product.

Keep in mind I am only 15 (Freshman at Highschool), so I have limited time. Rep will be given to useful advice!

Ratman2050, Apr 8, 2007 IP
    Artisan and gladstone like this.
  2. giraph

giraph Guest

Best Answers:
    Well, if your highschool offers any programming classes you could get enrolled in one of those. I've mostly learned programming from experience, not being taught by a teacher. You do not really have to be intelligent to program, just logical. Understand that the code will do exactly what you tell it to do.

It is difficult to start, yes, grasping the main concepts is the most important part.

I would suggest starting out with Java, probably because I'm not very found of PHP and C++ haha.

There are plenty of online resources available to learn any of those languages, but I really do recommend a book, because they will teach you good habits to start with.

Anyway, just learn the basics of all three, and see which one you're liking the best. If you want to do online development then PHP is probably your best choice.

giraph, Apr 8, 2007 IP
    Ratman2050 likes this.
  3. Ratman2050

Ratman2050 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What language is needed to make programs. I believe C++?

4. giraph

giraph Guest

Best Answers:
    Java and C++ can both make applictions (EXE).

giraph, Apr 8, 2007 IP
  5. Ratman2050

Best Answers:
    So making useful online tools such as pr checkers, backlink checkers, pingers, etc uses PHP or Java and C++?

Also do you recommend any good books?

6. giraph

giraph Guest

Best Answers:
    You could make an online tool in PHP or Java, or any other web programming language.

giraph, Apr 8, 2007 IP
  7. bfebrian

bfebrian Peon

Best Answers:
    my first programming book is vb 4 for dummies.
    the ideas is - understand the basic - after that learn by your self

bfebrian, Apr 9, 2007 IP
    Ratman2050 likes this.
  8. jo_cstd

jo_cstd Peon

Best Answers:
    I learned C++, java through books. You can get hands on experience from books by answering the programming exercises / chapter projects. Taking courses may also be a good idea - since having someone to explain hard to understand concepts is always good.

I belive that good analytical skills is essential for a good programmer - making/figuring out algorithms.

IMO, all programming languages are generally alike - syntax is the only big difference. Once you know how to program in one language, learning other languages won't be that much of a problem.

jo_cstd, Apr 9, 2007 IP
    Ratman2050 likes this.
  9. sparckyz

sparckyz Peon

Best Answers:
    When i wanted to learn PHP/MySQL i didn't really have the first clue. So, i bought a book on it, read it, then started to read tutorials online. I think the thing which helped most was playing around with other peoples scripts and getting the to work in a different manor etc...Then as i got better i decided to try and write the programs myself which really made the difference. So i guess a "hands on approach" is best and once you know the basics you just got to try and write more complicated programs on your own ;)

sparckyz, Apr 9, 2007 IP
    Ratman2050 likes this.
  10. Ratman2050

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all the replies, rep is being given.

Also, I just wanted to know how long does it take to become "decent" at a programming language if your starting out.

I mean I am very good at Math so I don't think that is a problem if math counts.

Ratman2050, Apr 9, 2007 IP
  11. akula

akula Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are more interested in web development I would stick to PHP or better yet Ruby on Rails. You are also going to need to learn some SQL. It is a process like everything else. You are not going to learn HOW to program from reading one or two books. Reading a few books, watching a few tutorials, experimenting with a few ideas, manipulating others code to fit your need will start a base. I would also suggest getting a basic programming principles book or course that includes writing pseudo code.

akula, Apr 9, 2007 IP
    Ratman2050 likes this.
  12. Ratman2050

Best Answers:
    Yes, I do want to do more of an online development. Basically my goal is to create a unique program/tool and implement it for free on the internet for my website. I see that this brings traffic.

I am not a totally newbie as I do use php and html in my websites. And have 1 book on it. (They do tend to get boring :( ).

Thanks!

13. giraph

giraph Guest

Best Answers:
    If that's your goal I suggest getting familiar with the cURL library for PHP. And/Or getting familiar with javascript, as those are both commonly used in web tools.

giraph, Apr 9, 2007 IP
  14. Ratman2050

Best Answers:
    Ok, will do thanks.

How do you make exe programs using C++?

15. giraph

giraph Guest

Best Answers:
    Well... you download a compiler, type some code, then press compile pretty much.

giraph, Apr 9, 2007 IP
  16. ProgMania

ProgMania Active Member

Best Answers:
    OKay dude. You asked for it, now you get it.

ProgMania's Life story:

When I was very very little. 14 years old. I wanted to get into programming. First I tried to learn about security/hacking. Soon I realized that I need programming to finish my hacking "journey". So thats why I started looking around the internet. I found few sites, but I did not find any "full" forums. I started learning HTML and then I fooled around with some script coding. Untill I found DELPHI! Which is one of the best programming languages. C++ Is way to hard to begin with. Delphi is easy and powerful. However if you want to learn this then you can look at my forum, PM me to know the link :cool:

So I recommend Delphi. It is very good.

ProgMania, Apr 10, 2007 IP
    Ratman2050 likes this.
  17. SeLfkiLL

SeLfkiLL Active Member

Best Answers:
    I was always curious at a young age so I started my programming adventures at age twelve playing around with a Borland C++ compiler. The way I started learning was through a book called Learning C in 24 Easy Lessons. I would read that in my spare time in school and at home. It helped that my parents were both engineers, but I mostly practiced this programming habit alone. Seven years later, I am still enthusiastic about programming because of its challenges and rewards.

The best way I would suggest learning a programming language is to first identify resources to learn from, such as books, tutorials, and example code. Then to create projects for yourself utilizing the programming language you're trying to learn. For example, I started really simple, creating Madlib games, password-protection, and pseudo viruses (I was quite devious at times). I then moved on to larger-scale projects such as game programming, IRC bots, and miscellaneous socket programs. You should start simple, learning the syntax of the language by giving yourself assignments that interest you. Then once you feel you’ve mastered enough of the basics, move on to giving yourself large-scale projects. For example, perhaps you want to create your own webserver, game, something with an interface, IRC bot, or anything you’re interested in. Use your guides and find example code of something that’s similar to your project to refer to when you get stuck or need ideas.

Make sure you have a program to compile your code; it usually helps to get one packaged with an IDE (integrated development environment—a programming editor basically). For example, if you’re learning C/C++ you might want to download something like Bloodshed Dev-C++ (a good free IDE+compiler).

And it always helps to be able to ask questions, so make sure you find yourself a good programming forum or IRC channel to ask in.

One thing to keep in mind though, is that if you really want to learn how to program, you must be enthusiastic and passionate about learning. Make sure as you learn these languages, that you are learning them in a way that interests you the most. Be self-determined to learn these languages and you will become an excellent programmer.

Here are some good resources to refer to when learning how to program:
    Computer Programming at Wikiversity - http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Topic:Computer_Programming
    Free Computer Books, Tutorials & Lecture Notes - http://freecomputerbooks.com/langBooksIndex.html
    FreeTechBooks.com - http://www.freetechbooks.com/

And here are some good C/C++ resources:
    CPlusPlus.com Language Tutorial - http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
    C++ FAQ LITE - http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/index.html
    A Dictionary of ANSI Standard C Function Definitions - http://members.aol.com/wantondeb/
    C Programming Tutorial - http://vergil.chemistry.gatech.edu/resources/programming/c-tutorial/toc.html

Good luck, and have fun!!! ;)

SeLfkiLL, Apr 10, 2007 IP
    Ratman2050 and gladstone like this.
  18. Ratman2050

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it. Rep left.

Ratman2050, Apr 11, 2007 IP
  19. rockmyway5

rockmyway5 Peon

Best Answers:
    I will tell you an interesting and effective way for learning php. (thats what I did).
    go to websites that offer free codes for php functionalities. then try to understand the code, its easy because most comment the code very well. (can be called as learning applied PHP:))
    Reading books on php cant help much IMO as books teach theory (but yes , that can help you in long term).
    [I am considering you know the basics of programming]
    Best of luck.

rockmyway5, Apr 11, 2007 IP
  20. Ratman2050

Best Answers:
    I have the book, PHP and MySQL for Dummies, is that any good?

Ratman2050, Apr 11, 2007 IP