1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google is still the king of engines

Discussion in 'Google' started by fryman, Aug 13, 2005.

fryman, Aug 13, 2005 IP
  2. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    I guess my referrer logs don't lie!

Crazy_Rob, Aug 13, 2005 IP
  3. City2

City2 Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice! Thats how it should be!

City2, Aug 13, 2005 IP
  4. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    59.2%? Isn't that down from previously reported percentages. I seem to remember numbers in the eighty percent range.

So they may still be getting the most searches, but if I'm right then people may finally be catching on that they are no longer giving the most current and relevant results. I still say Google is broken, and my proof is the continued inconsistency of everything they do or report. I think we have a classic case of the "King's new clothes".

compar, Aug 13, 2005 IP
  5. Worldwid

Worldwid Peon

Best Answers:
    Worldwid, Aug 13, 2005 IP
  6. web-rover

web-rover Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah google is still doing ok i guess

web-rover, Aug 13, 2005 IP
  7. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    *yawn*

That song is getting awfully old, compar. I think you have a classic case of flogging a dead horse.

Google isn't dead. It never was dead. It's working pretty well in fact, and in comparison with the others still delivers the most relevant results for the searches I do.

It may not bring up your sites on page 1 but perhaps there's a good reason for that...

minstrel, Aug 13, 2005 IP
    Crazy_Rob likes this.
  8. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Well let me take an unusal approach to this snarky remark. Infact one of my sites just jumped into #1 place in the Google SERPs for the keyword "order medication online". It is great to be there and I can see the traffic increase already.

But the site isn't necessarily the most relevant site in the entire Internet for that phrase. In fact it hasn't been particularly optimized for that phrase. It's very nice that Google has put it #1, but the searching public isn't necessarily being well served when they search on that keyword.

So Minstrel stick your snide "you only complain because your site isn't ranked" remark where the sun don't shine. And if you are so bored then don't bother with your same old lame brain, smug and sarcastic responses.

Some of us actually study these things rather than just buy the company line.

BTW if anyone wants to checkout my claim here is the URL http://www.google.com/search?source...GLC:1969-53,GGLC:en&q=order+medication+online. The site in question is Your Friendly Pharmacy

compar, Aug 14, 2005 IP
  9. Kaabi

Kaabi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google will never be surpassed. They are constantly coming up with new ideas. There search engine is great, not to mention all the other services they provide. Blingo.com is awesome, win prizes for searching! And GoogleLabs, cool stuff to download or look at from there.

Kaabi, Aug 14, 2005 IP
  10. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I'm sorry I'm so obtuse, compar, but perhaps, as a result of all your through studying, you can explain to all of us lesser mortals how a search for order medication online that brings up the following result

is proof that "Google is broken"?

It seems to me that you just showed us all how well Google is doing its job...

minstrel, Aug 14, 2005 IP
  11. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    Compar I don't think Google is broken. They are the best SE on the planet, IMO.
    On- page
    Your site is very relevant to the keyphrase you are coming up under...
    'order medication online' Your page title 'Buy Prescription Drugs Online', 'Buy Prescription Drugs Online -- It's Simple' Heading. Although it seems that you are promoting the phrase 'Buy Prescription Drugs Online' it is all synomious, verifying Google's use of LSI/ LSA.

Off-page
    The anchor text you are using 'online pharmacy' for your link backs is also synonomious with the phrase.

So I think both you and Google have done a great job IMHO

FYI also found this at the bottom of your page

Homer, Aug 14, 2005 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  12. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    I didn't say the site isn't relevant. I just said that by all optimization standards it isn't the most relevant for that "order medication online". Sure all those words exist in either my title or my on-page content, but nowhere is that exact phrase used. Surely someone who uses that exact phrase -- and there must be someone in the 3,810,000 pages Google lists -- is more relevant than my page.

Beside this Google hasn't placed that page in the top 100 in any SERP since last February or March. So how come it becomes the most relevant page in the Internet on Aug 13 and 14? And if it falls off the edge of Google's world tomorrow, as I expect it will, does that mean that it has lost it's relevance?

Give me a break, Google is just thrashing around out there, and doesn't have any consistency or rhyme nor reason for it's SERP placements. Sure it presents relevant pages in it's SERP. How could it miss with 3,810,000 pages that qualify for that particular keyword phrase or that theme and topic? But consistent and most relevant, not a chance.

compar, Aug 14, 2005 IP
  13. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    Can you order medication online from your site, compar?

Crazy_Rob, Aug 14, 2005 IP
  14. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the find. I was doing some editing today and I'm not sure how those got on there. But I've removed them now.

compar, Aug 14, 2005 IP
  15. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Well, it isn't hard to see why you were searching for order medication online, Bob. You're not making any sense at all these days. What exactly is it you're trying to say?

1. Google is broken because it didn't rank my site well until recently? or

2. Google is broken because it DID rank my site well recently?

:confused:

minstrel, Aug 14, 2005 IP
  16. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes Of course you can. But that doesn't make it the most relevant site on the Internet. And why hasn't it been even top 100 relevant for the last 6 months?

And Crazy_Rob if you or anyone else on this forum wants to order medication online look at this offer I made for another online drug store site of mine.
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=17818.

Actually some DigitalPoint members have taken advantage of that offer and ordered medication online from me.

compar, Aug 14, 2005 IP
  17. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    Thanks, but I was just trying to make a point.

It doesn't need to be the MOST relevant. It's either relevant or it's not!

Have you been working on it at all? Maybe Google is just getting better! ;)

Crazy_Rob, Aug 14, 2005 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  18. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm saying what I've always said. The test of any system is the test of consistency. If a system is working properly it will produce consistent results.

If your automobile drives off the left side of the road one day and the right side the next and on the third day it has 5 speeds in reverse and only one forward I think that even you Minstrel would concede that it was "broken".

Now you could argue that it always started and alway delivered you some place and that is what I think you are arguing about Google. Consistency is the test of a properly functioning system. Google has been badly failing the consistency test for almost two years now. The only thing they are consistent about is their inconsistency.

compar, Aug 14, 2005 IP
  19. North Carolina SEO

North Carolina SEO Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It is rather interesting to learn that big G is falling off a bit (I recall seeing their percentage higher before as well). Maybe creating more of a balanced approach will be "in vogue" as time goes on.

Yes, I know. Those who are in the know on the DP forums have been doing this all along. That is exactly why I keep saying to the newbies how smart the people on DP continue to be.

North Carolina SEO, Aug 14, 2005 IP
    City2 likes this.
  20. daed

daed Peon

Best Answers:
    Canadians cry too much.

Revamping and redesigning the relevancy algorithms don't necessarily have to produce anywhere near the same results if they're better. You can't equate search results to a car driving off the side of the road, horrible analogy. That's like saying if Microsoft started to produce better code, it would actually be worse, because it would be inconsistent with the disturbingly swiss cheese'd code they've produced in the past.

Stop whining about it and try to figure out the new algorithm, much more efficient use of your time IMO.

daed, Aug 14, 2005 IP
    Shoemoney likes this.