1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google having a bad week

Discussion in 'Google' started by exam, Aug 12, 2005.

I couldn't find this posted anywhere here so...

Wired news talks about how Google stops indexing books..

Andy Carvin talks about how Google has pissed of CNET, stopped their library digitization project and how their stock has fallen.

Interesting reading.

exam, Aug 12, 2005 IP
    NetMidWest likes this.
  2. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    From http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2005/08/making-books-easier-to-find.html:
    I think they already have this system. It's called a copyright disclaimer:
    All rights reserved. You may not reproduce this work in whole or part without the express permission of...

NetMidWest, Aug 12, 2005 IP
  3. Davilac

Davilac Peon

Best Answers:
    Davilac, Aug 12, 2005 IP
    NetMidWest likes this.
  4. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    NetMidWest, Aug 12, 2005 IP
  5. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    exam, Aug 12, 2005 IP
  6. dejaone

dejaone Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    "Google's procedure shifts the responsibility for preventing infringement to the copyright owner rather than the user, turning every principle of copyright law on its ear."

"Publishers are also upset that Google might be able to generate more advertising revenue by offering an index of copyright books and so far hasn't offered to pay any royalties for its potential financial gains"

dejaone, Aug 12, 2005 IP
  7. dper

dper Member

Best Answers:
    Don't make any assumptions over normal daily fluctuations.
    Look at the overall trend and magnitude of the recent changes. Google's in great shape.
    http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=GOOG&t=1y&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=
    Sometimes news anchors don't know what they are talking about. Recently one excitedly talked about bad news making one $30 stock plunge 3/10ths of a cent.

dper, Aug 13, 2005 IP
  8. zman

zman Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, but that doesnt really mean anything. G could still drop dramatically if they are not careful with these kinds of things.

zman, Aug 13, 2005 IP
  9. tom22

tom22 Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think these things cause too much of a problem for Google. It hurts their image, but that's about it. It's comes down to the bottom line, not if people like them or not. A lot of people don't like Microsoft, but they seem to be doing pretty well for themselves. ;)

Speaking of Microsoft, that's the biggest threat to Google. If something kills Google, you can bet it will be them, not some minor image problems. Looking at history, Google has their work cut out for them.

tom22, Aug 13, 2005 IP
  10. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe, but I'd say Google is a bit more innovative, creative and resourceful than, say, Netscape Communications.

exam, Aug 15, 2005 IP
  11. script909

script909 Peon

Best Answers:
    i'll say that google is Much more innovative

script909, Aug 15, 2005 IP
  12. tom22

tom22 Peon

Best Answers:
    But, over the long-term, it doesn't matter if you are the one who comes up with the ideas. All your competitors will eventually copy them.

Didn't Google come up with the idea of using backlinks to help with ranking? Now everyone is doing that. The user doesn't care if Google actually came up with the idea.

Google will only beat Microsoft if they can keep coming up with innovations as big as pagerank. They don't just need to be better, the need to be so much better that people will go out of their way to use Google over the MSN search that will be spoon-fed to them.

In IE7, there is a search box in the top right corner, like in Firefox. Of coarse, MSN search is default. I think things like that are where the big threat is.

I'm not saying what I want to happen, just what I think will happen. I'm very interested to see how it will turn out.

tom22, Aug 16, 2005 IP
  13. Kaabi

Kaabi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google and CNet having problems? Wow. Downloads.com is cool, cnet is awesome for that.

Kaabi, Aug 16, 2005 IP