1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Will I be penalized for adding thousands of pages at once?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by explorer, Aug 12, 2005.

One of my sites has 200 - 300 pages of unique articles and content, and ranks well in Google.

It also has a forum with several thousand pages of content - but the pages aren't SE friendly so Google doesn't know about them and doesn't find them in searches.

Question: If I make the forum or a forum archive SE friendly and Google finds thousands of new pages in a short space of time, is this likely to result in a penalty for the whole website? I'm sure I've read in the past of people being penalized for this.

Does anyone have any recent experience - positive or negative?

Thanks

explorer, Aug 12, 2005 IP
  2. johnt

johnt Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think that it would immediately lead to penalisation, but it may raise a couple of flags either triggerring a closer examination or to see if any black hat tactics might be in place.
    If you're happy that the site is clean, I'd say go for it.

You may be able to speed the index process up with a Google sitemap.

johnt, Aug 12, 2005 IP
  3. North Carolina SEO

North Carolina SEO Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What you normally read about being penalized for is a sudden influx of inbound links (e.g. purchasing links or using other sites to obtain an "unnatural" all of a sudden quantity of links). This can get you in the "sandbox" for a time.

As far as I know, getting a large number of existing pages to all of a sudden be found in Google is a good thing!

Usually, when a client of mine has a site with similar number of pages you mentioned, we move forward with optimization and link building straight away. I find that it gets listed and ranked rather well and rather quickly (e.g. 2-3 months approx.) unless a phrase is extremely competitive.

I would also suggest using the Google sitemap as well. IMHO. :)

North Carolina SEO, Aug 12, 2005 IP
  4. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No prblem at all should result. I decided to make my rugby forum more friendly and it went from a hundred or so pages, to 5,000 no problem.

Old Welsh Guy, Aug 12, 2005 IP
    explorer likes this.
  5. explorer

explorer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the reassurance guys. I'll go ahead with it then and hope for the best. I'll report back if I'm penalized. :eek:

6. explorer

Best Answers:
    p.s. Mods, I must be half asleep. I thought I'd posted this in the Google forum. Any chance of moving it? :)

7. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The problem arises when you have a 10 page site for years and then suddenly the site has 10,000 pages. If you add a lot of pages often (such as a forum) its not really a big deal. I have a site that is about 4,000 pages now. I add and delete about 200 every month. Its not a big deal. I have another site that is 400 pages or so - and pages get added once every 2-3 months or something. If I started adding 200 pages to that for now on, I think it might raise some flags.

lorien1973, Aug 12, 2005 IP
  8. explorer

Best Answers:
    For the record, there was no penalization. Typing the site: command in Google now shows over 25,000 pages indexed. (I'm not sure how G counts as many pages as that - there are far fewer in fact.)

explorer, Sep 7, 2005 IP
  9. SharkSpace

SharkSpace Peon

Best Answers:
    I would make sure you have enough backlinks to handle that many pages. Sometimes its better to have fewer higher ranked pages than 20,000 lesser ones.

SharkSpace, Sep 8, 2005 IP
  10. explorer

Best Answers:
    Backlinks aren't a problem on this one and Google is finding forum pages in searches quite satisfactorily. :)

I seriously don't know how Google arrives at the page count it does though. I've seen in another thread people discussing how the number of pages indexed by Google from their sites has shot up. The true page count on the site I'm talking about here is definitely below 10,000 pages. Google counts over 25,000. Yahoo counts less than 2,000. Hmmm. ;)

explorer, Sep 8, 2005 IP