1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Multiple ad units

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by paradox, Sep 1, 2004.

Just noticed this ...

https://www.google.com/adsense/new
    "Multiple ad units
    To provide even more value to your users, and to help you further monetize your web pages, we're allowing publishers to place up to three ad units on every web page. Our system will automatically recognize the additional ad units, and will serve unique ads to each. Your ad units can each have different color palettes, formats, and alternate ad URLs, providing you with the flexibility you need to incorporate Google ads into your site design. Please read the Multiple Ad Units section of our FAQ for the full details."

paradox, Sep 1, 2004 IP
  2. Redleg

Redleg Raider

Best Answers:
    Great news!! :D
    *runs off to add more ads...*

Redleg, Sep 1, 2004 IP
  3. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Mac Guru

Best Answers:
    Really? I just got signed up today and I'd love that. Seeing as 3 smaller ads take up less space then one bigger ad. That sounds great!

TwisterMc, Sep 1, 2004 IP
  4. Joel Naten

Joel Naten Guest

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I just noticed that too when I logged in today. It's going to be interesting to see what new combos work the best.

Joel Naten, Sep 1, 2004 IP
  5. Fishing Forum

Fishing Forum Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes this is great

Will be interesting if it bring in more money or make sites look desperate

Fishing Forum, Sep 1, 2004 IP
  6. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    If well positioned within the site they should look ok, possibly even enhance the look of some sites.

GuyFromChicago, Sep 1, 2004 IP
  7. stephfoster

stephfoster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Going to have to play with this feature on one or another site and see which units get clicks. Could be very interesting.

stephfoster, Sep 1, 2004 IP
  8. a389951l

a389951l Must Create More Content

Best Answers:
    Here are some of the other new cool features - collapsing ad units with multiple ad units :D :

[size=+1]Collapsing ad units[/size]

An additional option for your alternate ad content, Google's collapsing ad units ensure that your page space is used to its maximum potential at all times. When targeted ads aren't available for an ad unit, the collapsing ad unit feature will shrink the empty ad unit, so that blank ad spaces are eliminated from your page. For instructions on implementing this feature, please read the AdSense FAQ. [size=+1]New name for WebSearch[/size]

We're dropping the 'WebSearch' from 'WebSearch plus AdSense for search.' This monetized search feature will now be referred to simply as AdSense for search - but all of the same great features remain. For more information on providing customized Google internet and site search to your users and earning money from clicks on targeted ads, please read our FAQ.

[size=+1]Multiple domains for AdSense for search SiteSearch [/size]

Your Search Settings page now provides you with the option of specifying multiple domains for SiteSearch. Simply enter up to three domains when generating your search code - your AdSense for search box will list each domain with a radio button, allowing your users to choose the site on which they would like to search.

[size=+1]Ads by Goooooogle[/size] We're currently running a test with new branding features on Google ads. You may notice some of your pages displaying 'Ads by Goooooogle' ad units. We welcome your feedback on this new look, and we'll be analyzing the results of this test over the next while.

a389951l, Sep 1, 2004 IP
  9. Geir

Geir Berserker

Best Answers:
    Interesting news.
    I'm wondering what benefit they expect from using Goooooogle instead of Google?

The collapsing ad units should work well together with multiple ad units, as many keywords seem not to have enough bidders to fill up three ad units.

Hopefully these changes will result in increased earnings both for adsense and adwords users...

:) Geir

Geir, Sep 1, 2004 IP
  10. Redleg

Redleg Raider

Best Answers:
    Installed a second text ad banner yesterday.

I'm using a 728x90 banner (4 ads) at the top of most of my pages, so I tried to add a 468x60 at the bottom of the pages.

But at least 50-60% of the time it displays the alternate ads, since there isn't enough ads to fill out the first one (or just 4 ads max)..

I tried without the alternate ads first, and the "collapsing" ad units isn't collapsing at all, it just leaves a big blank field where the ads should be.
    (doesn't look good at all).

So if you plan on using 2-3 ads units, then you should always have a alternate ad for those..

And i don't like the "ads by Goooooogle" much, doesn't look good.. :(

Redleg, Sep 2, 2004 IP
  11. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    unless your content is keyword rich... ;)

schlottke, Sep 2, 2004 IP
  12. Redleg

Redleg Raider

Best Answers:
    Of course..

It may work better for some sites, than for others..

Mine is a niche site, so there's not that many advertisers for each of the pages.
    But it's also the same for my forum (with lots of different topics)..

Redleg, Sep 2, 2004 IP
  13. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    Definatly. Most sites cant support 12 different ads, especially later on in the day.

schlottke, Sep 2, 2004 IP
  14. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    Is anyone else displaying multiple ad units on their pages? I just increased mine to three and it's interesting how some pages make use of all the add space and others do not. Now I have to create my own filler ads cuz I don't like the allfeeds service.

Oops, I didn't see the thread already going. Ya miss stuff sometimes just looking at new posts only. Sheesh.

mopacfan, Sep 2, 2004 IP
  15. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Mac Guru

Best Answers:
    I like this new feature. Three smaller ads work better on some of my sites than one big one. :)

TwisterMc, Sep 2, 2004 IP
  16. SENewbie

SENewbie Peon

Best Answers:
    Does anybody know if multiple ad units count as extra impressions?

SENewbie, Sep 2, 2004 IP
  17. Fishing Forum

Fishing Forum Active Member

Best Answers:
    Not def but it looks like it does , as Im show an increase but the site traffic is the same

Fishing Forum, Sep 2, 2004 IP
  18. qll

qll Peon

Best Answers:
    I tried 728x90 and other type. Google only shows the first ad, and nothing more. Even I changed the Pub-ID to ca-test or ca-netfims. Still the same. I even tried to change the color, still not working.

Can anyone show me an working sample of showing 3 ad unit?

qll, Sep 2, 2004 IP
  19. Geir

Geir Berserker

Best Answers:
    I am testing out 3 ad units in my link directory.

Take a look at Free Greeting Cards for an example.

:) Geir

Geir, Sep 2, 2004 IP
  20. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Mac Guru

Best Answers:
    I had that issue at first too. It went away after a while though. All three now show up. I just don't think the multi ad system has been perfected yet seeing as i've had that issue and seen two of the same ads on my pages.

TwisterMc, Sep 2, 2004 IP