1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

101 ways to get visitors to your site!

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Nintendo, Aug 9, 2005.

Join the Co-op.
    Submit your site to Yahoo.
    Submit your site to DMOZ, and hope it get's listed before the year 2337.
    Submit your site to MSN.
    Get back-links.
    Submit your site to Google, though back-links will do way more good than submiting your site.
    Include RSS feeds.
    Write Articles and use that by-line spot for back-links.
    Submit the articles to article sites/directories.
    Mailing list - Send out an E-mail atleast once or twice a month.
    Have Contests and include a 'Subscribe to our mailing list box'.
    Viral marketing - Make something that has your site info and give it out free.
    Scripts - Include a link to your site in the footer. Require the link to stay there unless they pay for a version with the link taken out.
    Site of the Day - Make a site of the day award, and as more sites add the award to there site with back-links, you get visitors. Just make sure it's a high quality image.
    Include a message board/chat room. If thew site is new, start out with just one board. the last thing you want are dead message boards! Do anything you can to get visitors to come back day after day. Ask yourself, why do you come to DP day after day??!!
    PPC - If the visitors are worth it, pay for them to come to your site. Then try to keep them and turn them in to repeated visitors.
    Mailing list special - If you sell stuff, include deals in your mailing list.
    Polls - Have a poll of the day or week.
    Content - Content - Content - It's king. 10,000 pages of pure content will generate way more visitors than 1,000 pages of it will, once it's indexed in search engines.
    Public Domain Content - If you get the right stuff. ie content that can't all ready be found on 1,000 different sites, like Wikipedia content.
    E-mail signatures. Include your site link there!
    Make a directory, and require a back-link to get listed.
    SEO your pages. place your keyword in the title, header, and content. You can also place it in meta tags, but some search hardly use them, like Google.
    Advertise on TV, sell shirts, give out business cards, do an IPO....(This all counts as one cause 95% of us'll never even do any of this stuff!)
    If you make programs, make deals with other programmers to include each others products. Now you got other sites giving out your programs.
    Submit your programs to program directories.
    Make your URLs search engine friendly with mod_rewrite.
    Write FAQs - Include links to your site in the by-line. For example, read the first reply after the mod_rewrite FAQ, then look at the last paragraph in the FAQ.
    Include a link section on your site, and offer to place the banner of another site up if they place your banner on there link page. (Make sure it's a quality site, so you don't get penalized for linking to them!)
    Get out of the sandbox! ie don't be the 6,857,834th listing in Google!
    Register your domain for more than one year.
    If you sell products, set up an affiliate program. All those affiliates that become active will be giving you visitors.
    Message board signatures. The more you post, the more back-links you get. 1,000 quality posts will get you way more than 50 quality posts. Or you can live down at the Off-Topic boards all day! Search engines can also find your site from them, though they don't generate PR.

That's 33 of them. Now post your own ideas! Let's see if we can get 101 tips here!

Nintendo, Aug 9, 2005 IP
    ViciousSummer likes this.
  2. City2

City2 Peon

Best Answers:
    Can you provide me with some info about Advertise on TV, can you reffer to some places we can read about to get more info of the proccess to get accepted and creating the commercial

City2, Aug 9, 2005 IP
  3. Nintendo

Nintendo ♬ King of da Wackos ♬

Best Answers:
    Contact your local TV station. 95% of us'll probably never even do that stuff!! On the internet, a Google search is probably the best place to find into. Though the first site I looked at was pure AdSense spam!

Nintendo, Aug 9, 2005 IP
  4. Dirkjan

Dirkjan The Dutch SEO Guy

Best Answers:
    With suggestions like add your website to Google, get out of the sandbox, or create a mod-rewrite, its not really 33 of them :p

- Remove javascripts from your website
    - Make sure your navigation is not Flash
    - Create a sitemap
    - add adsense and get motivated by dollars
    - Become an editor at zeal or DMOZ
    - Stay friendly to other webmasters and create a community
    - Get other people to write for you
    - Invest money on design and content
    - :p This way I could create 101 (mostly useless) tips myself :D

Dirkjan, Aug 10, 2005 IP
  5. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    Become a DMOZ editor so you can get in before 2337
    :D

ViciousSummer, Aug 10, 2005 IP
  6. Smitty218

Smitty218 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I thought that you said there was 101 ways not only 10. Hey Summer offering any site wide links to your lingerie store or any at all?

Smitty218, Aug 10, 2005 IP
  7. sji2671

sji2671 Self Made Mind

Best Answers:
    Get leaflets printed and pay for them to be inserted in an offline publication/local newspaper.

Track websites that are a few years old, already in the SERPS but obviously have not been touched/updated for a long time, buying old established domains/sites cheap.

sji2671, Aug 10, 2005 IP
  8. pcdoc

pcdoc Active Member

Best Answers:
    You da bomb, Nintendo. Thanks.

pcdoc, Aug 10, 2005 IP
  9. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Create a Unique Selling Point (USP)
    dp tool + forums, save toby, draw a piggie, ebay

Then you might get away with doing none of the above :)

Design Agent, Aug 10, 2005 IP
  10. Nintendo

Nintendo ♬ King of da Wackos ♬

Best Answers:
    And there are newbies that register here every day and not all of them know how where to go to register in the search engines! They got to start some where! For an example of mod_rewrite, back in the first half of 1993 Google hardly even touched my AWS stores. Then once they became mod_rewrite, they got Googlebombed, and then I got bombed with cash from Amazon, about $12,000 over six months...and then the competition came along. :( It's called URL optimizing, and it works!

45. Get rid of session IDs. In the words of Google themselves 'session IDs suck.'
    46. Ask others to review your site.

Nintendo, Aug 10, 2005 IP
  11. frankm

frankm Active Member

Best Answers:
    you were not only one not being crawled by google at that time :)
    but thanks for the good tips, most of them are very practical.
    to add some:

= create an html sitemap AND create a google sitemap
    = even though most of us here think PR is unimportant these days, GET A HIGH PR! that will give you some leverage in the link-buying world which can generate some money that you can spend on adwords.

= join top100-of-whatever-subject websites. just put the button you are required to put on your site on the 'contacts' page or something like that, just enough to get at least a few views a day but will give you some traffic from that, and a nice backlink

= don't submit to dmoz and wait till 2337 - submit your site to dmoz in a category where you have at least a small chance of being included. some hints: if there are currently 10 listings, all owned by the same person (check whois), don't even try to submit to it. pick another category. dmoz is not that awesome, but the dmoz-clones will give you 50-100 backlinks and some visitors

= donate to charity (if you have no ethics). pick a week or month, announce you are going to send 15% of your income to charity *save toby* and get this published in your local newspapers. Donating a couple of hounderds, getting attention worth thousands. If you are like me, and you do have some ethics, add $500 from your personal account :)

= Put a 'bookmark this page' button on EVERY page. some believe google checks bookmarks using their toolbar, even if that is not true, it will give you returning visitors

= Put a 'send this page to a friend' button on every page and create a script that does exactly that.

ok, those are not as good as nintendo's but he took the first shot - my tips are just tips to get to 101 ..

frankm, Aug 10, 2005 IP
    Design Agent likes this.
  12. TheBrokenOne

TheBrokenOne Peon

Best Answers:
    Could try spreading the word in various chat rooms.

TheBrokenOne, Aug 12, 2005 IP
  13. Dirkjan

Dirkjan The Dutch SEO Guy

Best Answers:
    I wouldnt do that. Very time consuming.Longterm successes > Instant succes. As soon as you leave the chatroom, your marketing campaign is over. Also its hard to measure success of your campaign. In a chatroom, many people chat, they come look for a sec to see what you talk about, but leave right after because they are chatting... about other subjects perhaps....

Dirkjan, Aug 12, 2005 IP
  14. netmar

netmar Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the coool list Nintendo! I have seen something similar before and I thought it was very useful. Think it was on something called guerilla marketing or something like that

netmar, Aug 12, 2005 IP
  15. BasB

BasB Peon

Best Answers:
    We should start numbering them so we now where we are left ;)

99. Look for merchant with product feeds and mix and match them for unique pages.
    100. Use Press Releases: create some special occassion (topic of the month), do some (non representative ;)) research and put the word out!
    101. Put your website name on everything offline, like lighters (yep me smoker), thongs :D whatever.

Content is king, but dont throw all your content in one go on the net... do updates, so your visitors see it is a live and fresh site... place dates next to them when published to give the appearence of freshness (ok this is more for repeat visitors).

So are we done? :D

BasB, Aug 12, 2005 IP
  16. Web Gazelle

Web Gazelle Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Don't forget about making sure to target terms that are searched often and are relevant to your content. I could target the search term Hillary Duff because it gets 12 million searches a day, but it isn't relevant to Aquarium Fish and I wouldn't really benifit from it.

Web Gazelle, Aug 12, 2005 IP
  17. TheBrokenOne

TheBrokenOne Peon

Best Answers:

Depends on the site really, if you're site is forum based, advertising in chat rooms could get you new members. Although i must admit i haven't done it myself yet, too busy building up links to the site which is painstaking work at times.

TheBrokenOne, Aug 13, 2005 IP
  18. namxas

namxas Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks, this would be useful

namxas, Aug 13, 2005 IP
  19. Sublime

Sublime Peon

Best Answers:
    Great info there :D

Sublime, Aug 19, 2005 IP
  20. fcmisc

fcmisc Active Member

Best Answers:
    Frank, are you my site's only visitor? I've already sponsored a dog called Toby. lol

http://www.financialcharting.com/charity/sponsor-a-dog.php

fcmisc, Aug 23, 2005 IP