1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is DMOZ just good for PR or traffic too?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by shogunmike, Apr 1, 2007.

Hi,

I'm wondering, is DMOZ/ODP good for just increasing Page Rank or is there a lot of traffic to be had from getting listed?

Mike.

shogunmike, Apr 1, 2007 IP
  2. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Not good for traffic.

Cheers

paidhosting, Apr 1, 2007 IP
  3. dsendecki

dsendecki Peon

Best Answers:
    I've got a site listed three times in ODP and average 2-3 clicks/week from it.

dsendecki, Apr 1, 2007 IP
  4. shogunmike

shogunmike Member

Best Answers:
    So, it's worth submitting to yeah? I've heard it takes more than a year, which would be frustrating.

Any thoughts?

shogunmike, Apr 2, 2007 IP
  5. grg

grg Guest

Best Answers:
    Do you pay for this? You can spend a while submitting your page, and forget about it. If they add your page - fine. If not, there is nothing to loose...

grg, Apr 2, 2007 IP
  6. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    My site has gotten no hits from Dmoz yet, though I've gotten a few from Alexa...

Qryztufre, Apr 2, 2007 IP
  7. ninjashoes

ninjashoes Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ah Dmoz is a mess, my advice is to not mess with it until we know if its gonna live or die. The system of editors who will take bribes or include their own sites was horrible.

ninjashoes, Apr 2, 2007 IP
  8. solid7

solid7 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you fit into one of the 5+ PR catagories on DMOZ, the link is a killer. Even all the crappy knock-off directories that it feeds bring some amount of traffic, plus some pretty good authority in Google. But I REPEAT - this seems to be true ONLY of the 5+ PR categories.

I have some links in a few regional categories, and as it relates to the SE's, it's like I don't even have a link at all. But for a PR 5+ link, that's some very good real estate. Not for direct traffic, but for indirect (parasitic directory) traffic, and for SE authority.

You will not get any guarantees on approvals. If an editor is not interested in a particular category, it may never be touched for anything more than maintenance. (clean up dead links) That's just the way it is...

solid7, Apr 2, 2007 IP
  9. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:

Well not everyone is corrupt, so loosing all hope is not a good idea, maybe keep some faith that dmoz will improve one day.

paidhosting, Apr 2, 2007 IP
  10. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I'd assume that the number of editors without something listed would be rather small and actually has little or nothing to do with anything. Bribes are certainly bad, and the editors doing that I think need to be taken out back and shot. But editors are volunteers and they are editing categories they have an interest in. It only stands to reason they are savvy enough to also be affiliated with a site or two that falls under said interest.

Also, they've had an influx of new life with all the publicity from the crash. I'd not count them out just yet for being dead.
    Q

Qryztufre, Apr 2, 2007 IP
  11. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:

Shooting them kinda seems too harsh... unless they only joined dmoz for making money i know one person His name starts with "I" :p ... but he doesnt deserve to get shot either cause he is a really nice person... he just needed some money thats alll......

Well the only distubing part is where new editors join to help abandoned categories and they get kicked out cause some meta has an issue with them, personal issues i think should remain out of dmoz if it has to survive this era.

12. solid7

solid7 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, duh. :D

That's as close to a "payment" as I've ever seen. I have yet to meet a person who is truly altruistic, although I've met a great number of narcissists. What I mean by that, is that there appears to be only a couple of driving forces behind dedicated editing:

1) the desire to have a link or two, and a willingness to work for it (if we're being honest)

2) pure narcissism (nothing else really makes sense - everyone needs a motivation)

You would have to have some good reason to sacrifice your (assumingly valuable) time to dedicate hours of editing in a directory that nobody really uses. It's either links or satisfaction, take you pick...

solid7, Apr 2, 2007 IP
  13. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Pretty narrow minded view of the world around you, don't you think? I started editing because it was something to do at a time in my life when I'd just spent about 2 months in a hospital recovering from 7 broken ribs and severe injuries to both lungs. I could only sit in a chair, couldn't even sleep in a bed for many months afterward. I hate television and editing for the ODP was something I could actually do.

I don't seem to fit into either of your categories. :rolleyes:

compostannie, Apr 2, 2007 IP
    CReed and MaryMary like this.
  14. solid7

solid7 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It appears that there are 3 driving forces behind editing.

:D:D:D

People who "just do it" are rare, Annie. I think that even you would agree with this. However, I will state, for the record, I don't claim to be introspective to all possible motives, but I do enjoy being a wise-ass once in awhile. Forgive me, if you will...

solid7, Apr 2, 2007 IP
  15. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    So it seems there would be no backlog if ODP would reach out to the invalids of the world.

Might even grow if they recruit the bored inmate population of the world's prisons. But only the honest ones, the ones who promise they're innocent and shouldn't be there.

Don't worry solid7, I don't mind a wise ass, I have a sense of humor. :D

16. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Really smart way of smacking someone :D . ooouch solid7 that must have hurt :p

MaryMary likes this.
  17. solid7

solid7 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Don't forget that I'm an editor, too... And I never mentioned which camp that I fall into. :D

solid7, Apr 2, 2007 IP
  18. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep, I know you're an editor too, but I happen to be a bit of a wise ass myself. I'm playing with you buddy. Here, have a nice green mozzie hug. :D

19. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Solid mate u should start praying that evil mosta or her suck up editor followers...do not find out your true identity on dmoz otherwise your ass is canned .....unless ur editall than ur safe...

20. solid7

solid7 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Praying? Is editing that critical to my life functions?

:D

solid7, Apr 2, 2007 IP