1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Cheap Article Writer or the Not-so-cheap Writing Company?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by sebastianrs, Apr 2, 2007.

I think pretty much anyone knows that there a tens of thousands of writers that offer their services at dirt cheap. They usually refer to their services as "article writing", which most often means article rewriting so it becomes original. Let's assume you want exactly this... 10 articles about a broad niche just for the purpose of having keyword targeted articles to draw search engine traffic to.

Out of the blue or without thinking about the actual consequences, which service would you more likely hire for the job of the ten articles?

* The writer who claims to write original and high quality articles for $7 (400 words), or
    * the writing firm who too claims to produce and deliver high quality and original articles for $15.

I am sure many of you will say that the cheap writer will do it for their purposes. How come you decide for this one?

...Moving further on, let's assume you are about to ask the writing firm why you should take them as their service provider, rather than a cheap writer. What questions would you raise? Or better, what would you expect to be different with the writing firm compared to the writer?

This is an interesting topic I think, so please share your ideas and answers!

sebastianrs, Apr 2, 2007 IP
    MaryMary likes this.
  2. harris5998

harris5998 Peon

Best Answers:
    It honestly depends. I think the decision should be made after seeing writing samples from both the cheap writer and the service. The writer and the service could offer the same quality work, only the service costs more because they have writers to pay PLUS the owners have to make a profit.

It all comes down to quality. In my opinion, you should ask for samples from both the writer and the service and make your decision based on those.

I am a "cheap" writer, and I am also currently developing my own writing firm as well, so I have some background with this issue.

Angela

harris5998, Apr 2, 2007 IP
    MaryMary likes this.
  3. MaryMary

MaryMary Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    In this day and age, it's hard to tell the difference from an individual "cheap writer" or a firm. All you can go by is what you read on their posts.

They could be telling you anything that you want to hear. My best advice for someone looking to hire a writer, is to read their previous posts on DP and gauge their writing qualities on that. This will give you a good idea of how your content will be written.

If verbs aren't conjugated correctly, chances are they are not the fluent English writer that you are looking for.

If they can't follow original poster's guidelines as to how to apply for the writing position, how can you be sure that they will write your content according to your directions?

The point is, a firm or an individual can both deliver either high quality content for your websites or they can both give you something that you would be embarrassed to have your website associated with.

It's best to find someone that you are comfortable with and do your due diligence to find out if they are who they say they are before wasting time with samples. Samples of quality work can be copied from anywhere.

:D Mary

MaryMary, Apr 2, 2007 IP
    Jim4767 and sebastianrs like this.
  4. Your Content

Your Content Banned

Best Answers:
    I believe the only way to decide is getting a sample writing from both the cheap writer and the firm.

You would be amazed that some "firms" are just undercovered amateurs charging as professionals whilst the cheap writer could be building his/her portfolio hence the low pricing, but not necessarily low quality.

Your Content, Apr 2, 2007 IP
  5. sebastianrs

sebastianrs Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks all of you. This leads me to another question though... If it all depends on the overall quality of he articles after all, would you actually care about

* email status reports,
    * communication throughout the project to ensure your needs are met, or
    * proper project management to ensure not only high quality but also better turnaround times?

I think it makes a difference when a firm charges $15 while an individual writer charges only $7. I mean, that's two articles for one price compared to the firm. Because of this, I personally would probably want the firm to go about this more professionally.

sebastianrs, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  6. sebastianrs

Best Answers:
    May I ask how long you are in the business already? Also, do/will you charge more than usual with your writing firm, simply because it's a firm then? I think the point that the company wants to make profits on projects is totally right, and natural. Nonetheless, they should try to make a difference if they raise the pricing to about $15 per rewrite article. If you will raise pricing, how would you try to convince your clients of the better service they get if they hire the company rather than an individual writer?

sebastianrs, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  7. latoya

latoya Active Member

Best Answers:
    In your specific scenario, knowing what I know, I'd hire the writer, not the firm. Why? Because the firm hires article writers anyway and probably pays them $7 (or maybe even $5) of the $15. Cut out the middleman and just hire the writer. Asking for samples from a writing firm doesn't mean very much because you don't know who wrote the sample, if that same writer is going to be writing your articles, or even if that writer still works for the firm. At least when you hire a writer, you have a better idea of who's writing your articles.

latoya, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  8. pebbleworm

pebbleworm Peon

Best Answers:
    My opinion about this topic is biased since I used to do articles. I was a freelancer and I'd offers from companies or individuals to do re-writing of articles. I never did any of them as I find it easier to write original content.

It's true you will pay more if you'll use a company and freelancers will still write those articles. But if you need lots of varied contents quick, sometimes they are the only way to go.

Personally though, I think it's better to cultivate a relationship (business only :D) with a freelance writer whose style you really like. You can always give the specs of the articles you want. Sometimes they cost some but you gotta pay for quality.

That's my 2 cents...

pebbleworm, Apr 4, 2007 IP
  9. sebastianrs

Best Answers:
    What about

* Turnaround time
    * Quality assurance
    * No hassle

What if you simply want the articles without having to struggle with finding a suitable and good writer, talk to him or her, go for a test project first before you can actually go for the real project you had in mind one week ago? Moreover, it may cost you time to ensure that quality needs are being met by the writer. If you got a bad egg, you've once again spent valuable time, haven't you?

sebastianrs, Apr 4, 2007 IP
  10. latoya

latoya Active Member

Best Answers:
    Struggling to find a good writing firm can be just as cumbersome as finding a (few) good writer(s). There isn't very much difference in the hiring process. You still have to check out the firm's reputation. You still have to negotiate contract and rates. You still have to check to make sure that the end product meets your expectations.

It's just as possible to get a "bad egg" with a writing firm as it is to get one with a writer. I think it's even easier to get bad writing from a firm for the simple fact that you don't know who's writing your articles. You just have to trust that the firm has done their due diligence with the writers that they hire.

Having worked for a few writing firms, I've realized that they aren't really good at what they do. They are often bad at managing projects, clients, and writers. They often take on too much work for the number of writers they have. They negotiate rates so low that in the end the writers only get peanuts. They are often pushing writers to get work completed at the last minute. I've yet to see a firm that doesn't bow to the will of the customer at the sacrifice of the writer.

A freelance writer can provide all the benefits you mentioned - swift turnaround time, quality assurance, no hassle - AND the buyer has direct contact with the person who's writing his articles.

latoya, Apr 4, 2007 IP
    MaryMary and sebastianrs like this.
  11. Wordsmith

Wordsmith Peon

Best Answers:
    There is basically one main criteria that answer all these questions...

Ask for a list of clients. The reputable company will probably have blue chip clients. These clients absolutely know their stuff and will not pay thousands of dollars per month for content that is useless.

Its pretty common to find writers that will write the odd articles for small sites for a couple of dollars but in no way would these writers get the type of work I describe above simply because there is a massive difference between content and quality SEO content.

Look at the client list first and that will answer many questions.

Regards
    JohnT

Wordsmith, Apr 4, 2007 IP
  12. cheapest

cheapest Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you really looking for a cheap writer. I am intrested. Let us please discuss more about that in the PM. This thred is only for discuss about the individual or company, But still looking some hope for a business in it.
    regards
    Lucky

cheapest, Apr 4, 2007 IP
  13. MaryMary

Best Answers:
    :D I just don't even know what to say, I can't quit laughing at that last post. Here we are showing off our skills, and then I check in to read what's going on...I better stop myself now...rofl:D

Mary

MaryMary, Apr 4, 2007 IP
  14. latoya

latoya Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's hard to turn down an opportunity to market your services! :D

latoya, Apr 4, 2007 IP
  15. Wordsmith

Wordsmith Peon

Best Answers:
    I rest my case!

JohnT

Wordsmith, Apr 5, 2007 IP
    MaryMary likes this.
  16. sebastianrs

Best Answers:
    Thanks latoya and Wordsmith for sharing your opinions and experience.

As for your statements, latoya, I have to agree that most (wannabe) writing firms are amateurish. Their sole existence seems to be "playing" the middle man without actual knowledge of their clients, the market(s), the human resources, and last but not least, their projects.

I am sure there a couple of writing firms who actually handle everything with care and strategy. Most such companies do have a client list, as Wordsmith mentioned, and that's fine. The difference between wannabe (cheap) writing firms and real writing firms will be the way they handle everything. They probably do understand what project management, HR management, customer relationship management, etc. is about. Therefore, I assume those writing firms wouldn'T even consider to serve an individual webmaster in need of cheap article rewrites for a simple website that equals like 100 other sites.

sebastianrs, Apr 5, 2007 IP
  17. chagen

chagen Peon

Best Answers:
    Anything can be copied from anywhere, that's why there's copyscape.

chagen, Apr 6, 2007 IP
  18. KeywordsandCopy

KeywordsandCopy Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that asking for a sample is a better idea than checking out past posts. I consider myself a very good writer, but my posts are not always my best work!

KeywordsandCopy, Apr 6, 2007 IP
  19. MaryMary

Best Answers:
    Sometimes it takes me longer to come up with a good post than it does to write an article. I just believe in representing who you are, no matter where you are at;)

Mary

MaryMary, Apr 6, 2007 IP
  20. sebastianrs

Best Answers:
    I rarely convey the actual message I had in my mind through a forum post :( Well, but I'm not a writer anyway - just researching on the topic.

sebastianrs, Apr 7, 2007 IP