1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Getting into Alexa top 100,000

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by alstar70, Apr 2, 2007.

What sort of traffic numbers do you need to get into Alexa's top 100,000?

alstar70, Apr 2, 2007 IP
    Comfis likes this.
  2. spdude

spdude Guest

Best Answers:
    Normally at least 10k uniques a day.. but it depends on the niche.

Generally, an automotive site will need greater traffic, whereas a gaming one would need less.

spdude, Apr 2, 2007 IP
    Comfis likes this.
  3. ORIGIN

ORIGIN Active Member

Best Answers:
    why would you want to get into the top 100 000?

i know it's nice, but does it have any real value? for advertising?

just wondering why you want to be in the top 100 000?

ORIGIN, Apr 2, 2007 IP
  4. axlarry

axlarry Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I've seen ppl saying how easy and unimportant alexa rank is... yet most of us can't reach the top 100 000 aren't we?

You might want to read this

axlarry, Apr 2, 2007 IP
  5. geegel

geegel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The Alexa rating can be easily manipulated and the sad part is that most webmasters in the top 100.000 actually do this.

As for the uses of Alexa rating, don't be so quick to disqualify it. I recently wrote an article on my blog which although doesn't have Alexa as its main topic, shows a potential way of monetizing it.

Hope this helps.

Best regards, George

geegel, Apr 2, 2007 IP
  6. smartinvestor

smartinvestor Peon

Best Answers:
    Alexa is pure useless. Unless you are in the top 20,000 or 10,000, its really is the last thing you should worry about.

smartinvestor, Apr 2, 2007 IP
  7. joeydee

joeydee Guest

Best Answers:
    I agree with this mate!

for me atleast Alexa is useless and I beileve it calculates its numbers based on the people who search with Alex search toolbar in their web browser.. either way...

here's what i mean, how it's useless... i operate a PUMA sneakers website.. Im in the top 10 (althought today Im position #15 i beileve) on google and alexa had me last month or 2 months ago @ 150 000 and today I'm at 500 000

So its' to show how usless it is and i get alot of visitors a day on the site. So don't worry about Alexa... just optimize yourself and put quality content!

my best,
    -Joey

joeydee, Apr 2, 2007 IP
  8. netpox

netpox Active Member

Best Answers:
    Alexa ranking is overrated! So many webmasters think that being ranked on there is so important. It is not at all.

netpox, Apr 2, 2007 IP
  9. poseidon

poseidon Banned

Best Answers:
    1500 uniques should be sufficient I guess.There are various factors mind you.

poseidon, Apr 2, 2007 IP
  10. DannyBly

DannyBly Peon

Best Answers:
    Personally, I do look at alexa rankings although they clearly do not always accurately reflect the amount of traffic a site is getting. If a site does have a ranking in the top 10k I think it's safe to assume that site gets good traffic and is well marketed.

DannyBly, Apr 2, 2007 IP
    Comfis likes this.
  11. stickycarrots

stickycarrots Peon

Best Answers:
    I can send a ton of junk traffic to any website (which will not convert at all) and get you into the top 100,000 within a month or so :p

You'll probably need around 7,000 uniques or so daily to get there though :)

stickycarrots, Apr 2, 2007 IP
  12. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    My site is currently at 105,215 and according to Awstats & google analytics I'm not getting nearly the traffic that Alexa says I'm getting. It also says I'm ranking 12,973 for the US which I'd assume is a bit off for an occult site that's only been around for 6 months. *shrug* but then, I'm not really complaining ;)
    Q

Qryztufre, Apr 2, 2007 IP
    Comfis likes this.
  13. Raithe

Raithe Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    100k means nothing. It is alexa users, so if you have a tech/computer savvy site, more of your users will have it.

For example, when I was selling one of my sites on DP/SP, it moved my alexa up to under 100k, and the weekly alexa was 18k.. yet it was 250k+ normally

Raithe, Apr 2, 2007 IP
    Comfis likes this.
  14. Jasonb

Jasonb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    you can buy targeted traffic, i did it and my alexa went down

Jasonb, Apr 2, 2007 IP
  15. alstar70

alstar70 Peon

Best Answers:
    Partly its a goal I've set myself for my article directory to say I'm successful,

2nd to have my stat's daily tracked by Alexa

For the ego value.

For the advertising value - to encourage my authors that there is value to submit articles to our directory - of course working on increasing Page Rank as well.

alstar70, Apr 2, 2007 IP
  16. Brennan

Brennan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    My proxy currently has around a 450,000 Alexa rank.

@ORIGIN Theres some value because saying my site has Alexa rank of 1,000,000 wouldn't be as good as someone saying it has a rank of 100,000.

Brennan, Apr 2, 2007 IP
  17. Dominic Lee

Dominic Lee Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree Alexa is useless. I have 2 sites, one is my marketing blog leedominic.com, which gets less than 50 unique a day; and another website is my ecommerce site wholesalecollegetextbooks.com, which get more than 500 unique a day - Alexa ranking? Leedominic.com is much lower (better) than the textbook one.

Why? Majority of my textbooks customer will not have an Alexa counter so Alexa doesnt track those traffic. So in my opinion, it is close to useless.

Dominic Lee, Apr 2, 2007 IP
  18. druidelder

druidelder Peon

Best Answers:
    One of the sites I work on averages about 17K per day in unique visitors (much higher or lower in certain months). The Alexa rank fluctuates between 30K and 100K. That is partly due to our site being somewhat "seasonal." Traffic is about half in the off season and nearly double in the busy season. We do not manipulate our score here.

Value of Rank:
    Many sponsors/ad buyers don't know any better and will use this as a measure of the worth of a banner/link. Remember, this is very similar to the way television ads are priced (Nielsen Ratings). Of course, with TV your talking about a small number of stations (as opposed to a billion + sites) so the math is much more accurate.

If you are in a niche where most of the site owners only know enough to get themselves in trouble, you might be able to get them to spend money trying to match your manipulated score. Of course, if their efforts work then you're worse off then before.

Bragging rights to new or non-webmasters.

Pretty graphs?

druidelder, Apr 2, 2007 IP
  19. Game Producer

Game Producer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My site is somewhere around 60,000 - 70,000 in Alexa and received about 25K unique visits, and nearly 50K pageviews in March.

Game Producer, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  20. webmasterlabor.com

webmasterlabor.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Alexa is not a COMPLETE waste of time. Alexa does offer SOME value but not what you would expect.

webmasterlabor.com, Apr 3, 2007 IP