1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Website in chinese language

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by patataur, Mar 31, 2007.

hi everybody

i'm teaming up with a friend to develop a site in chinese. he knows chinese and i know webmastering, kind of.

from your experience, would you host it on a chinese server? any feed back on chinese hosting? would going on a hong kong server, singapore server be ok for mainland china? how about a taiwan server for a mainland china audience? any good hosting available in mainland china?

otherwise, would a US-based server be good enough?

next, any advice on SEO optimization with webpages in chinese?

thanks for your time and help :)

patataur, Mar 31, 2007 IP
  2. BargainBait

BargainBait Active Member

Best Answers:
    Getting a server where your main traffic will be is the best way to go. As for SEO for a Chinese site, I would believe it is the same as American SEO, just with chinese-text keywords? I wouldn't know for sure though. Just look at another Asian site and look at the source code.

For example, look at soso.com. In the source code there aren't even any META tags for SEO, but their main logo has an ALT tag. Just make another Chinese site your example. :)

BargainBait, Mar 31, 2007 IP
    patataur likes this.
  3. autorave

autorave Peon

Best Answers:
    I would host it on a US server if possible... note that some countries have strict web regulations, Singapore particularly .. :)

autorave, Mar 31, 2007 IP
  4. ivalok

ivalok Peon

Best Answers:
    I've a chinese website but still I host it in dreamhost. :D So far it's doing great(PR3). :D I don't recommend you to host it in hong kong server, the price is not cheap and the cheap one is not so stable. Don't know much about Singapore and taiwan but I know some of them also use US based server also. Besides, my friends also host their chinese website in DH. (I'm not selling DH but those hosting companiese in HK really sucks.)

For SEO optimzation, I just use the same SEO tools. Nothing special. The only problem of chinese website is that they don't have much directories for you to submit to.

ivalok, Mar 31, 2007 IP
  5. patataur

patataur Peon

Best Answers:
    hi thanks for the replies.

i've looked around and it seems hosting in HK or Singapore has no great advantage, so it is either in the us or china

US :
    + cheap quality hosting
    - out of china, which may mean less than optimum SEO, and also mean the site is filtered by chinese firewall which can result in lower speeds for mainland chinese visitors, or can be totally blocked.

China
    + server in China, so better SEO and faster speeds as no need to go through the firewall pipes
    - more difficult to get hosting if you don't speak chinese, hosting not as good as US hosting for a comparable price, difficult to contact the hotline... Also your site may be objected to by chinese censors and blocked, but this is kind of the same as being cut out by the firewall if your site is hosted out of china.

anything else, any objection, shout :D

i'll be looking at a chinese host and if it turns out to be too difficult i'll go US

patataur, Apr 1, 2007 IP
  6. KC TAN

KC TAN Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, I would agree to go for the Mainland first :)

KC TAN, Apr 1, 2007 IP
    patataur likes this.
  7. crazlunatic

crazlunatic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    it depends on your audience. I live in Canada, and even the biggest chinese sites like sina are a bit slower than normal.

crazlunatic, Apr 1, 2007 IP
  8. patataur

patataur Peon

Best Answers:
    but sina is hosted in china, right?

it seems intra-china, with sites hosted in china, speeds are good. crossing the boundary seems to be the issue, from what i've read here and there.

patataur, Apr 1, 2007 IP
  9. JochenVandeVelde

JochenVandeVelde Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd host it on a Chinese server as you will rank higher in local search engines (from China).

Also use the attribute lang="zh" (for Chinese) in the <html> tag and add this meta tag between <head> and </head>:

<meta name="language" content="zh" />

This informs user agents and search engine spiders that the document is in Chinese.

I hope this helped.

JochenVandeVelde, Apr 1, 2007 IP
    patataur likes this.
  10. ewc21

ewc21 Peon

Best Answers:
    It will depend on where your target audience is. If your market is in China, it would be good to host your site on reliable ones usually found in big cities like Shanghai or Beijing.

ewc21, Apr 1, 2007 IP
  11. xenyo

xenyo Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree, host in China if possible.

I agree hosts in Hong Kong are bad, I've tried about 5 and can't really say I have many good things to say about them.

As for Chinese directories, I have made a list of Chinese Directories including their submission URLs. China , Hong Kong and Taiwan directories are included so I hope they can help you out.

Matt

xenyo, Apr 2, 2007 IP
    patataur and mgrohan like this.