1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does Adwords send bot to check for page relevancy to the keyword?

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by Farhankk, Jul 18, 2005.

Hi Everyone,

As discovered from the Webmasterworld, the fact was revealed that "After you sign in with adwords, google sends bot to check your page for relevancy to the keywords and to check if you don`t breach the terms and conditions (relevant landing page, popups, one click return to Google .. etc).

Can any one explain it plz to what extent it is true.

Farhankk, Jul 18, 2005 IP
  2. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    I have got emais from google for pages on my site that had mispelled words....

Shoemoney, Jul 20, 2005 IP
  3. timbo

timbo Peon

Best Answers:
    I doubt very much this would happen, they really have no real way of determining if your site is relevant or not.

I find that VERY hard to believe - maybe mispellings in your ad not on your site.

Google does simple checks on your destination URL when you create a new ad group, but does not go as far as actually analyzing any of your page content.

timbo, Jul 21, 2005 IP
  4. Farhankk

Farhankk Peon

Best Answers:
    In other words u mean to say Google uses human Editors like Overture for these functions rather than bots...:eek:

Farhankk, Jul 22, 2005 IP
  5. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    From my experience they base landing page relevancy on natural listing ranking for those words.

T0PS3O, Jul 22, 2005 IP
  6. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    You calling me a liar? :(

Shoemoney, Jul 22, 2005 IP
  7. Farhankk

Farhankk Peon

Best Answers:
    "My site hadn't been hit by a freshbot or a deep crawl in 2 months.. (site was static) I updated it etc, and then went and created an addword add. Within 30 minutes i had 500 pages crawled.. So there is a definite link between the 2 (PPC and Free spidering Search Engine).

I think that google just goes scans your site with freshbot, see what you have, maybe see if you don't voilate any terms (assuming your site hasn't been scanned in months)"

I am sure Adwords uses bot to perform all these functions otherwise, it would have not been possible that my site was crawled soon after creating ad and editing in landing page.

Farhankk, Jul 22, 2005 IP
  8. wkw

wkw Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm curious: were any of those words (if this happened more than once) intentionally misspelt?

the serendipity of misspellings came home to me a few months back. I'd been nurturing along a new blog for maybe five months, getting all of 200 visitors a day. Then I noticed in stats that google traffic for a single search term greatly exceeded all other search term referrals. I went and searched on the term at google and sure enough, I was like #1 or 2, having done nothing to optimize for that term or anything remotely close to it. turns out, I'd misspelt the word (a product name). hehe...

wkw, Jul 22, 2005 IP
  9. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    yeap it was for recording artists....

Shoemoney, Jul 22, 2005 IP
  10. jimrthy

jimrthy Guest

Best Answers:
    I have to disagree. They don't "discriminate," true. But there is definitely a relation back to their database.

I'll pull down one of my pages and fiddle with nothing except the CSS. While it's on my box, it'll display free ads (or blank spots). When I put it back on my website, relevant content shows back up.

Or maybe it's just that everything I ever put onto the 'Net magically gets indexed...

I want to disagree. I really do. This...umm...fishes me off to no end.

I have a site that I've been building for over a year. No SEO, no intention of selling anything. Just my resume. No big deal. Me, trying to get a job (hey, anyone hiring? Sorry to get OT, but I'm desperate).

I started playing with a little SEO a couple of weeks ago. Still, no big deal. Nothing much has happened (except that I've made about $8). I decide to experiment with my main site (WTH, it's not making me any money). All of a sudden it's at PR 3.

I wish I could tell you you're wrong, but this is the highest I've ever ranked. And the only thing I did to the site was adding an ad. :(

jimrthy, Jul 26, 2005 IP
  11. ryanturner.com

ryanturner.com Peon

Best Answers:
    In order to get relavent ads google scrapes the page in which the add resides.

When you are attempting to spider as much of the internet as possible... efficiency is of prime importance. A small optimization could amount to millions of dollars saved. Therefore it is very safe to say that google does in fact utilize the information that its scrapes from the ads in its index.

I have no idea what kind of filters are put upon content discovered in that way... but I am confident it is used in more ways that one.

>rt

ryanturner.com, Aug 9, 2005 IP