1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are We Over Rating Google?

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by sachin410, Aug 9, 2005.

I joined DP just a few days back. All I wanted to know if my account would be in danger for having a high CTR. Its really sad to see so many of us have had expeiences of high handedness of Google.

Somehow I get the feeling that we have over rated Google as a search engine itself. Looking at the homepage of google, gives an idea that it is nothing more than a search engine. Is it a better than others like Yahoo and MSN is debateable. Google had a USP in Adwords and Adsense. But now others will be offering the same. Sites like Yahoo have much more to offer than Google. Then why is everyone so very crazy about Google? Maybe it was the first mover...but that doesnt matter now.

I reported this site and many more for policy violation weeks back
    http://www.me-myself.cjb.net
    Google doesnt seem to be interested.

Then why are they so much trigger happy banning sites from adsense. Many of you web masters may not agree, but there cannot be smoke without fire. Is the proportion of people generating invalid clicks so high?

I dont know any other business where one party to a contract can end the contract arbitrarily and just give a two line explaination for doing so. Google has exploited its monopoly to a great extent. I would be very pleased to see atleast 10 new sites coming up to offer programmes like Adwords and Adsense and to the same scale as Google does. Maybe then we can expect something better from Google.

I hope the Goolgle guys start thinking about it. With the last USP of Adwords and Adsense gone , it wont be long before a large proportion of Google users move over to more diversified sites like Yahoo and MSN.

sachin410, Aug 9, 2005 IP
    mopacfan likes this.
  2. TheWebJunkie

TheWebJunkie Banned

Best Answers:
    All i can say is be scared of Yahoo, all google users will move over to them i think...

TheWebJunkie, Aug 9, 2005 IP
  3. MattL

MattL Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No, I don't think we are "over rating" Google. They have a majority market share. For those of us with websites that have some ranking in Google the majority of the traffic is generated from them. The fact is that they are the most used SE. It's not that we all love it as an SE (some do, some don't), it's simply that we as Webmasters need to target where the traffic is generated from.

MattL, Aug 9, 2005 IP
  4. mdev05

mdev05 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would agree with you. Google is not hyped SE. It has the most comprehensive and intelligent Algorithms. It takes hell to get on the top in Google which is not the case with Yahoo and MSN.

And that is the reason, a user who comes to google search, searching for say flower pots in his area, gets it right then. I would say google is what it is today cos of its intelligence and amazing Business Accumen.

I would love to be the next Google.... some day

mdev05, Aug 9, 2005 IP
  5. jjo

jjo Peon

Best Answers:
    That guy has an active Google account, and *I* get banned?

There's no justice.

jjo, Aug 9, 2005 IP
  6. blackbug

blackbug Peon

Best Answers:
    Do we know that google hasn't done anything about that site, simply because it's still up and showing ads?

If a site has been banned do they stop showing ads? (genuine question here)

blackbug, Aug 9, 2005 IP
  7. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    Google won't do anything untill they hit $100. I guarantee with all the reports they are on a review list and will never get a cheque.

yfs1, Aug 9, 2005 IP