1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can a change in design affect ranking?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by rubeina, Mar 28, 2007.

Let's say you're ranking well (like being in top 5 on google) and then decide to change that design you have had for a year... to make the website more attractive. Can this affect the ranking? I am talking about design only, content remain as it is.

rubeina, Mar 28, 2007 IP
    seojig, Jat and hsaleem like this.
  2. seojig

seojig Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    hi rubeina,
    i have change design of my site which was live since last 2 years and u cant believe all ranking were remain same and not a single drawback of change the desing.
    main thing u have to consider is
    - keep the size of your template as small as u can. if u use <td><tr> instead of <table> than it will help to reduce the size.
    - try to keep same keyword density as it was in old design.
    - try to maintain quality of content of the page.

all the best for new design. i got more conversions and traffic a'ter new design.

-jigs

seojig, Mar 28, 2007 IP
    Jat likes this.
  3. Fiona

Fiona Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes, its Effect, maybe you get a google penalty. Google won't love, if someone giving a surprise to him. You should change the design page bit by bit. As Google are script, yeah only script.. and once you changed the incidentally the site design when your site getting ranking, Script will just think its not resemble the old one data which they had recorded.

Fiona, Mar 28, 2007 IP
  4. seojig

seojig Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    hi fiona,
    i m not agree with u.i have totally change the design of my main site and it is doing well sinse last 3 months.
    u have to take care of page size.if size will increase than it will take more time to open the page and that may be one reason google give penalty to your site.

seojig, Mar 28, 2007 IP
    Pammer likes this.
  5. dhruv37

dhruv37 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hello rubeina,

Changing your site design will not hurt your rankings as long as new design is having clean code and its easily crawlable by search engine.

dhruv37, Mar 28, 2007 IP
    seojig and Jat like this.
  6. Fiona

Fiona Banned

Best Answers:
    I wasn't saying that.. am not favor of re-designs of site, for getting better ROI and for better looking. My point was that don't change suddenly lookup your site, if you are top on competitive keywords and you have a big database site... because SQL database site sometime get problems, if small thing miss there when we are trying to change our new designs.

Conclusion: You can do that, it will not harmful on anyway, Just let them know to Google that, you want to change your design and you changing in slowly way.

Fiona, Mar 28, 2007 IP
  7. sji2671

sji2671 Self Made Mind

Best Answers:
    Rubeina, unlikely depending on the change, if the text/meta tags/h1 etc all remained exactly the same it shouldn't, especially if your going to CSS and removing tables.

sji2671, Mar 28, 2007 IP
  8. oseymour

oseymour Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    it depends on the change. In SEO, sometimes a design change is necessary to put your site on the next level.

A search engine friendly change should help your rankings and vice versa

oseymour, Mar 28, 2007 IP
  9. gibex

gibex Active Member

Best Answers:
    how can google-bot know about your design change? isn't like a text browser?

gibex, Mar 28, 2007 IP
  10. Bytez

Bytez Peon

Best Answers:
    gibex, it's in the code. :)

Bytez, Mar 28, 2007 IP
  11. CraigslistGuy

CraigslistGuy Banned

Best Answers:
    You will see a notice if you change the code or text too much. The SEs look at the code. If the site overhaul includes a modification of the code, a change can occur.

CraigslistGuy, Mar 28, 2007 IP
  12. edhan

edhan Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have changed design more than once a year and there is no impact for search engines as far as my sites concern (with all contents and meta tags intact).

Regards
    Edward Han

edhan, Mar 28, 2007 IP
  13. stats

stats Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's not about changing the graphical design that will change your ranking, but about changing the structural design of your site

you replace your logo - no effect, replace your background - no effect, replace buttons - no effect, etc ..

but if you rearrange the site's menu and linking structure - that's where you need to be careful since it can lower your ranking as well as alter it, depending on how well you implemented the changes

stats, Mar 28, 2007 IP
  14. d16man

d16man Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I changed the design of one of my bigger sites recently, and have seen an increase in traffic...of course I also did a lot more SEO with it, so I'm not sure I can say the design by itself helped...

d16man, Mar 28, 2007 IP
  15. winningratings

winningratings Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the short answer is YES a change of design can make a difference
    I know when a changed one of my websites, it made a big difference - however it will depend on what design you are changing from and to
    The more Search Engines friendly your design the better, and probably the bigger difference

I changed my design, really based on all the things I had learnt about SEO, so that does explain partly why the site ranked better in the listings

winningratings, Mar 28, 2007 IP
  16. Janna122003

Janna122003 Banned

Best Answers:
    If you would only change the design it wont hurt your ranking as long as you still continuing your link building and the content is still the same, the tags, title, alt tags and anything that will affect your ranking.

Janna122003, Mar 29, 2007 IP
  17. coolguy27

coolguy27 Banned

Best Answers:
    As long as the design is SEO Friendly, it's ok. Don't put some unecessary stuffs that will affect your ranking. :D

coolguy27, Mar 29, 2007 IP
  18. I-Got-IT!

I-Got-IT! Peon

Best Answers:
    If the design is better, things might be the same or be better, if it's lousier compared to the first one, stick to the old one. The design must be easy to navigate. =)

I-Got-IT!, Apr 7, 2007 IP
    hsaleem likes this.
  19. vitaminp

vitaminp Peon

Best Answers:
    im sure its in the w3c standards that <td> and <tr> should be INSIDE a <table> tag.

for starters, stick with the w3c standards as much as possible to ensure future compatibilies with browsers...

its important to use DIV and SPAN tags (ie. CSS) in designs to reduce file size. search engines only read the first x kb of your page so bear this in mind.

vitaminp, Apr 7, 2007 IP