1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Yahoo picked up affiliate link, good and bad news

Discussion in 'Affiliate Programs' started by wolfpack, Aug 5, 2005.

We have a website with an affiliate program. Say a user came to us from an affiliate's site by way of a link like http://www.mysite.com/videos/?source=affiliate23. If they buy something, the affiliate gets a cut.

Today I noticed that (a) we rank well in Yahoo, and (b) the link they have for us is that affiliate link. They must have spidered us by way of it.

We probably occasionally pay the affiliate for some sales that came from Yahoo.

Any suggestions on how to fix it? The only thing I can come up with is to look at the referer... but it's so unreliable, otherwise I would have used it in the first place...

wolfpack, Aug 5, 2005 IP
  2. City2

City2 Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe your affiliate is doing some seo to rank it :p

City2, Aug 5, 2005 IP
  3. wolfpack

wolfpack Peon

Best Answers:
    Heh. I doubt they did anything deliberate in that sense, tho they do rank well and I'm sure they generally seo their site deliberately.

We talked about it and decided this affiliate has sent a lot of business our way, and has earned and deserves the extra cut.

Especially since our site has a high percentage of people who don't buy until the second / third / fourth visit, which already cuts into the affiliates' cut.

So we're going to leave it the way it is. Wherever an affiliate can get a link placed, on whatever site, if it leads to a sale they get a cut.

wolfpack, Aug 5, 2005 IP
  4. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    what ever method your affiliate has use to get listed is his legal way to promote business ande get a cut from you alse you your be cfheating.

any SEO method to promote traffic and sales that is ethical is allowed to increase HIS income FROM you. his way of getting listed as well.

else you may consider doing all the work needed to get the full income all on your own with your own bar hands and resources ...

how does that feel to you ??

hans, Aug 5, 2005 IP