1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

seo-dev.co.uk

Discussion in 'Websites' started by SEbasic, Aug 5, 2005.

I've had this site for a while now and I'm really not sure what to do with it.

It seems a shcame to just take it offline, but in all reality - it makes no money and is pretty much banned from the big G. (Really bad rankings and the PR keeps going down and down).

It performs well in yahoo and MSN (Some really good rankings for instance "SEO UK" at #1 in Y among other difficult to get terms) but I don't actually provide SEO services through that site (Or anywhere else for that matter) due the the fact that my contract at work forbids me to do so.

So really, I was just wondering what you guys thought I should do with it.

Take the content and start a new domain?
    Sell it?
    Just forget about it and keep paying the hosting fees?

I'm really not sure. It works fine in Y and MSN like I say and could be a good purchase for an SEO if they wanted, but I'm not really sure whether I want to let it go (Because it won't get that much).

Any opinions?

http://www.seo-dev.co.uk

SEbasic, Aug 5, 2005 IP
  2. dct

dct Finder of cool gadgets

Best Answers:
    I'd be tempted to keep it, but start a new blog thing at a new address. I can't see you getting much for it if you sold it and it sure can't cost much to keep.

Who knows maybe one day Google will forgive you for your misdemeanors.

dct, Aug 5, 2005 IP
  3. WhatiFind

WhatiFind offline

Best Answers:
    WhatiFind, Aug 5, 2005 IP
  4. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    But that's the thing - I just don't know what I'm doing wrong on it, and I haven't done anything wrong since Dec Last year (And that was all off page).

It gets fair traffic for competitive terms from Y and MSN (SEO page 2 MSN without even trying and Yahoo #1 for "SEO UK" - again, not trying much.)

I'm just bored of it being there now.

Maybe I'll take it down and 301 it for a new site.

Yeah - It was the domain for the seraphim proudleduck comp - but It got fu**ed so didn't do an awful lot ;)

SEbasic, Aug 5, 2005 IP
  5. Stretch

Stretch Peon

Best Answers:
    If G's not happy with that domain couldn't 301'ing it to a new domain put the new domain at risk?

Stretch, Aug 5, 2005 IP
  6. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Well that's what I thought...

C'mon - What's you're thoughts on this - I know you have a similiar issue with a site.

SEbasic, Aug 5, 2005 IP
  7. Stretch

Stretch Peon

Best Answers:
    True, a very similar situation. I'm going to leave it be and pretend I never invested day after day writing unique content only for it to be ruthlessly punished for no apparent reason. :rolleyes:

I still use the site for Link Vault weight but if it wasn't for that I'd close it down (despite being listed in dmoz). I'd close it and move the content to a new site in a new template and hope that one day the content would rank again.

With seo-dev though it's a bit different and I tend to agree with dct and WhatiFind. I'd start a new seo blog (if that's what you want) and leave seo-dev alone.

If you do start a new blog, one thing I'd be tempted to do is put in a non-spiderable JS redirect on seo-dev to the new site. That way at least any legacy traffic ends up on the new site but the SE's don't see any relation between them.

As far as hosting, why not move it to one of your other hosting accounts and set it up as a parked domain (hosting then essentially becomes free doesn't it?). Seeing as the site's being penalised anyway I don't imagine it would do any harm.

In short, I'd move it (so hosting is free), setup a JS redirect and forget about it. And obviously host the new blog on a different C class.

Stretch, Aug 5, 2005 IP
  8. eiso

eiso Peon

Best Answers:
    I am a newbie when it comes down to SEO but what I would do ( Not sure if it is SE friendly ).

- Strip the site ( remove all links going out and remove the current style )
    - Put up a nice , light color, style ( 100px width ), keep the same content on te site.
    - Find an SEO company willing to sponser your hosting costs in trade of you recommending them on your site.
    - Keep a constant flow of entries into the Blog.
    - Make it interesting for SEO newbies to read the site.
    - Don't worry about Google, and try to find your traffic by word of mouth advertisement.

This is just the way I would do it, but i am no SEO expert.

Good luck,

Eiso

eiso, Aug 5, 2005 IP
  9. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Or, just leave it, put some links to SEO companies with a fixed advertising rate based on the fact you re going to do nothing with the site. ;)

Design Agent, Aug 5, 2005 IP