1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Looking for a database with a fast remote connection.

Discussion in 'MySQL' started by eiso, Aug 5, 2005.

I am looking for a database which works really fast over remote connections, all I know is that MySQL doesn't. I will have to be able to install the database on a webserver or find a host which has it. Also it wil be used for a forum.

Eiso

eiso, Aug 5, 2005 IP
  2. tflight

tflight Peon

Best Answers:
    I've worked quite a bit with MS SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL and a little bit with PostgreSQL. Performance aspects between these database systems become negligible when the network, database structure, and servers are properly setup. Were you using MyISAM or InnoDB tables within MySQL? That can have a large impact on performance within MySQL depending on the nature of your database. Databases that are 'update' intensive often perform leaps and bounds better on InnoDB.

tflight, Aug 5, 2005 IP
    gemini181 likes this.
  3. eiso

eiso Peon

Best Answers:
    My main question comes down to this , I want to run up to 10 sites on 1 database which stand seperatly (seperate hosts) , so I will need one hell of a fast remote connection , where can I find this, there will be a new update feom each site every 5 seconds, to the same table in the same database.

eiso, Aug 5, 2005 IP
  4. tflight

tflight Peon

Best Answers:
    I might be misinterpreting your needs... if so let me know. If you have 10 remote sites, each sending an update query to the database once every 5 seconds then that means you will have 2 queries per second to the database. That is a very light load that nearly any database should handle easily. For reference, the Wikipedia runs MySQL and handles 11,000 queries per second.

In which case any bottleneck would be the bandwidth between the servers themselves, not the database.

tflight, Aug 5, 2005 IP
  5. eiso

eiso Peon

Best Answers:
    But all 10 sites have to recieve all the data continiously.

eiso, Aug 5, 2005 IP
  6. tflight

tflight Peon

Best Answers:
    So are you saying you want replication between the 10 databases?

tflight, Aug 5, 2005 IP
  7. Nitin M

Nitin M White/Gray/Black Hat

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I'm not quite following you either. Describe in more detail what you're trying to do because on the surface there doesn't seem to be an issue.

10 sites inserting a new posting every 5 seconds to a central database is very light load in terms of the database but in terms of a forum site getting a new post every 5 seconds ... well, that would make your sites the top 10 most active on the web I think :p

In addition to the inserts I'm assuming you're saying the database has to be accessed by each of the 10 sites as well? This could be significant for some databases but with mySQL it should be no problem.

As far as performance without a lot of management, you can't beat mySQL. Oracle might beat the performance but that's a whole other league in terms of software cost and maintenance skills/costs.

Nitin M, Aug 5, 2005 IP
    gemini181 likes this.
  8. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    MySQL is fast over a remote connection. The bottleneck is going to be how much data you can receive at once (connectivity to the db server). You can tune your queries to only retrieve data you actually need (don't include columns you aren't going to use or records [use LIMIT], etc.)

As an example, if the db server for this forum was not local to the database server, I would need about 15Mbit of connectivity to the DB server just for data coming from the db server.

digitalpoint, Aug 5, 2005 IP
    gemini181 likes this.
  9. eiso

eiso Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you, the thing was is that everyone was telling me that mySQL was slow over remote connections.

eiso, Aug 5, 2005 IP
  10. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It depends on what you are talking about I suppose. If you are comparing remote to local connection, of course it will be much slower. But if you are comparing a remote MySQL link to a remote [insert whatever database you want here] link, it will be at least as fast.

digitalpoint, Aug 5, 2005 IP
  11. eiso

eiso Peon

Best Answers:
    okay, Thank you.

eiso, Aug 5, 2005 IP
  12. Critters

Critters Guest

Best Answers:
    I use mySQL, and connect to a DB on one server from 2 others over the internet, and it is as fast as I would expect it to be, when i do this on the local network it is as fast as it it was on the same server.

Critters, Aug 10, 2005 IP