1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Disappearing Act

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Forcefield, Mar 25, 2007.

Perhaps someone can shed some more light on this situation...

I have about 20 pages that "disappear" for about 3-5 days and then re-appear in the same position they were at when they disappeared.

For example, a page that's in position #4 will get pushed all the way back to #100, and then after 3-5 days it will re-appear in position #4 as if nothing happened.

Why does this happen?

Thanks!

Forcefield, Mar 25, 2007 IP
  2. wez

wez Peon

Best Answers:
    Its the ghost of google past.

JK - probably just shuffles in the algorith, I wouldnt worry about it.

wez, Mar 25, 2007 IP
    Forcefield likes this.
  3. Kaptain Kangaroo

Kaptain Kangaroo Peon

Best Answers:
    Seems to be recurring frequently with google for the last month and a half that I've kept track when I actually started to notice it. Good traffic - Bad traffic... for a few pages anyhow

Kaptain Kangaroo, Mar 25, 2007 IP
    Forcefield likes this.
  4. grg

grg Guest

Best Answers:
    Different results on different Datacenters. Google dance etc... nothing uncommon for new sites.

grg, Mar 25, 2007 IP
    Forcefield likes this.
  5. jdR!pper

jdR!pper Peon

Best Answers:
    It's called Google Dance. This kind of thing is normal.

jdR!pper, Mar 25, 2007 IP
    Forcefield likes this.
  6. Forcefield

Forcefield Peon

Best Answers:
    I suspected it was the Google Dance, but wasn't 100% sure.

One thing that still puzzles me though, is why some of my pages/sites never seem to shift out of their current positions during the dance?

Forcefield, Mar 25, 2007 IP
  7. Kaptain Kangaroo

Kaptain Kangaroo Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd like to know that one also. The dance only seems to affect a few pages of my site.

Kaptain Kangaroo, Mar 25, 2007 IP
  8. Michelangelo

Michelangelo Peon

Best Answers:
    AT OP, did you get less visitors these low positioning days? If there were no canges, do not care. This is normal SE dance.

Michelangelo, Mar 26, 2007 IP
    Forcefield likes this.
  9. Forcefield

Forcefield Peon

Best Answers:
    When these pages shift, I receive no visitors at all (due to their low position). Each of these pages rank well for a wide range of keyword phrases/combinations, yet - no Google traffic for any of them.

Kaptain Kangaroo, do your affected pages receive any Google traffic during the Dance?

Forcefield, Mar 26, 2007 IP
  10. Instigator

Instigator Peon

Best Answers:
    I rank #3 for a competative term. Sometimes, it vanishes completely for about a week, and then it returns. It has been doing the same thing for months now. I have tons of links with this anchor text, so it's not a cse of losing a link or two.

This problem only happens for one search term, the other keywords I target all appear in more or less the same position.

Instigator, Mar 26, 2007 IP
    Forcefield likes this.
  11. NewBoy

NewBoy Peon

Best Answers:
    My case is even more dramatic :( First, my highest PageRanked page on the site (according to Google's own webmaster tools) is simply gone from the index. It is not in supplementals or anywhere else it is simply gone with no cache. Sinse it is gone from the index it is not in the serps and since it is a root page for a site sub-section all the pages of that subsection are in a way orphaned. This personal incompetence does not bother google much as it gladly shows links (from high-ranked and highly relevant EDU, GOV and MIL pages) to that missing page when link: is used as well as proudly displays PR5 for a missing page (even though I have higher PR pages google maintains that this PR5 is the highest PR page on my site) on the toolbar.

It also routinely looses my hi-PR internal pages when a new naturally occuering high-PR link to a specific page occurs.

My partner and I now have sort of dark humor moment when we first meet in the morning as to "what section of the site will we loose today?"

After about a month the pages suddenly found in the index again and rank in the serps within the top 3 for very competitive terms... and that way over-and-over-and-over again.

Every time we get a good link in.

NewBoy, Mar 26, 2007 IP
    Forcefield likes this.
  12. Forsh

Forsh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have dropped rock bottom also for any words I was ranked for. Hope this is the cause.

Forsh, Mar 26, 2007 IP
    Forcefield likes this.
  13. fadetoblack

fadetoblack Peon

Best Answers:
    Google updating its algorithm i guess ..not much to worry about

fadetoblack, Mar 26, 2007 IP
    Forcefield likes this.
  14. MKInfo

MKInfo DP Guard Dog

Best Answers:
    Six of my major keywords which bring 80% of my traffic (10,000 uniques/day) were at between no.1 and no.5 two hours ago.
    Now they are nowhere to be found.
    This has me worried.I,ve been in the same position from these keyword for 3 months.
    Anything I can do/check etc?
    Thanks

Edit:
    I have just tried another which was climbing nicely and that has dissapeared too.My whole domain seems to be vanishing before my eyes!!!!!!!!!!
    Other keywords going too.

MKInfo, Mar 27, 2007 IP
    Forcefield likes this.
  15. Kaptain Kangaroo

Kaptain Kangaroo Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually, one page jumps from 4 to 1 and because that term shows up for a one word search (by google's doing) when in number 1-3 position, the traffic soars. Other pages are similar results 2-3, 3-6. Never drop off the first page, but this happens over and over again like other's sites lately and it is an established site so it has nothing to do with NSS - "new site syndrome". I'm just curious as to why it started happening now?

Kaptain Kangaroo, Mar 27, 2007 IP