1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do you draw stalkers to comment?

Discussion in 'Blogging' started by geegel, Mar 25, 2007.

I have recently began a blog. The good part is that it has a pretty decent traffic (for a start up blog anyway) and quite a lot of it comes from returning visitors. The bad part is that nobody comments. I know that I have some frequent readers, because Google Analytics shows a lot of direct connections (no referral), I see about 7-8 connections daily coming from the same locations and the ratio of new vs returning is at about 75% to 25%.

What should I do to attract more response from these readers, without alienating them?

Best regards, George

geegel, Mar 25, 2007 IP
  2. sji2671

sji2671 Self Made Mind

Best Answers:
    Leav eopen ended statements
    Ask questions in your post
    Add a poll

sji2671, Mar 25, 2007 IP
    geegel likes this.
  3. learn_adsense

learn_adsense Active Member

Best Answers:
    ask your friend to make a comment as a start, usually when your readers see the first comment, they will follow do the same thing ...

learn_adsense, Mar 25, 2007 IP
    geegel likes this.
  4. geegel

geegel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the tips. Green given ;)

Regards, George

geegel, Mar 25, 2007 IP
  5. geegel

geegel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I already did that, without much success. About 70% of the comments made are done in a comment exchange scheme.

Regards, George

geegel, Mar 25, 2007 IP
  6. Lars-Christian

Lars-Christian Member

Best Answers:
    I recently wrote a pretty extensive article on this topic. Some of the most important things I have found that you should do to increase the number of comments and commentators is to make it as easy as possible to comment (don't require registration of any kind), always reply to the comments yourself, and giving people some incentive to comment (think top commentators list, posts highlighting useful comments etc).

If you're interested, you can read the full article here:

bloggst.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134

I can't post links yet, so I guess you'll have to copy and paste that :)

Lars-Christian, Mar 25, 2007 IP
    geegel likes this.
  7. geegel

geegel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you mate... A LOT. I already followed some of the advice (no subscription required to post comments, top commenters list), but this is the most detailed article I could find on this topic. This deserves more than green. Please PM your blog address and I will write a post about it.

Oh and this is the proper link: http://bloggst.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134

Thank you again.

Regards, George

geegel, Mar 25, 2007 IP
  8. Anita

Anita Peon

Best Answers:
    First consider that no matter what, at least 90% of web users will NEVER comment, even if you paid them. That said, there's quite a few things you can do to get comments from the other 10%:

1) Create a top-commenters list using one of the top commenters plugins. This will incent those who want backlinks to comment.
    2) Ask questions or leave things open-ended (as stated earlier)
    3) Create some controversy, or be purposefully incorrect in your post (so people feel a need to correct you)
    4) Turn off nofollow on comments and let people know you have done so (there's a plugin for this). Like #1, this will help bring in more SEO minded folks.
    5) Respond to all comments in the comments. People may not want to talk to you if you don't talk back.

Hope this helps!
    Anita :)

Anita, Mar 25, 2007 IP
  9. geegel

geegel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you Anita. BTW, you have a really nice blog that I stalk every once in a while :D, the toilet humor is my favorite section.

Regards, George

geegel, Mar 25, 2007 IP
  10. ExoticExcess

ExoticExcess Peon

Best Answers:
    I am having the same problem with a forum that I just started. I have aound 15K uniques a month for a new site but I m hardly getting members to regisiter and post comments.

ExoticExcess, Mar 25, 2007 IP
  11. SkiRat44

SkiRat44 Peon

Best Answers:
    SkiRat44, Mar 25, 2007 IP
  12. fennimore

fennimore Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm facing that same problem myself :(
    What I do right now is leave lots of comments in other people's related blogs. But not just any comment! Sometimes I even blurt my heart out! Just don't try to be awfully nice all the time, some people really get sick of that.

fennimore, Mar 26, 2007 IP