1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I suffer from writers block

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by webgirl, Mar 22, 2007.

and need tips on getting ideas out of my head and on to my word document. I tried reading Hypnotic Writing by Joe Vitale but at the beginning of the book, it stated that I need to determine what my "style" was first.

Any advice would be appreciated.

webgirl, Mar 22, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  2. MattKNC

MattKNC Peon

Best Answers:
    Honestly, I don't believe in "writer's block" as some call it. Yes, you can get stuck from time to time and give in to the paralysis of analysis, but sometimes all you need is a change of venue -- no matter how brief -- to get your writing juices flowing.

As far as style goes, simply start writing. Work on grammar, spelling, and sentence structure after you have written something.

MattKNC, Mar 22, 2007 IP
  3. webgirl

webgirl Peon

Best Answers:
    Cool thanks.

webgirl, Mar 22, 2007 IP
  4. ArticlesandBeyond

ArticlesandBeyond Peon

Best Answers:
    I just start typing the first thing that comes to mind:

Mary had a little lamb, testing: one, two, three. I had toast for breakfast. Need to do laundry, etc.

After a paragraph of rubbish, my creative juices start flowing and I start writing sense. I have found that it's very essential to keep editing out of writing. Write first and edit later. I've seen writers waste an hour over a sentence trying to get it just right.

Just write in the present moment. You can wear your editor hat later and be as severely critical as you want to be.

Writing this way makes the whole experience enjoyable instead of being an agonizing struggle.

Hope that helped :D

ArticlesandBeyond, Mar 22, 2007 IP
  5. Your Content

Your Content Banned

Best Answers:
    Writers blocking is real, but defining a style when you have no idea on what to write is remain stuck in nothing.

Try to write as ArticlesandBeyond suggests, from aisle words to no-sense phrases and you will see your writing increasing in fluidity and fluency with practice.

Your Content, Mar 22, 2007 IP
  6. JF-Panther

JF-Panther Peon

Best Answers:
    Make an outline including what topics and key points you would like to hit as if you were making a note card for a speech. Then sit down and start typing. Whenever you feel like you have exhausted a key point, move on to the next... After you finish. Leave it sit and don't read it for a while. Then go back and read it and you will most likely start to put more into it as you edit it.

JF-Panther, Mar 23, 2007 IP
  7. devin

devin Guest

Best Answers:
    here's a suggestion.

buy a tape recorder, or a notepad, and carry it around with it everywhere. whenever an idea comes to your head, no matter how crazy, commit them to paper or tape.

it worked wonders for me.

devin, Mar 23, 2007 IP
  8. webgirl

webgirl Peon

Best Answers:
    You guys ROCK!!!!! Thanks.

webgirl, Mar 24, 2007 IP
  9. jo_cstd

jo_cstd Peon

Best Answers:
    do you guys have any tip when it comes to writing something your not interested/knowledgeable about?

jo_cstd, Mar 24, 2007 IP
  10. Michelangelo

Michelangelo Peon

Best Answers:
    I have written an article, which might help you it is not about how to avoid writers block but I got some positive feed back.

Read the article here.

hope that helped.

Michelangelo, Mar 24, 2007 IP
  11. MattKNC

MattKNC Peon

Best Answers:
    If I am not interested in a topic, I don't write about it. If I want to acquire knowledge about a topic, I research by going through Google search to find related information or head off to the library for what I need.

MattKNC, Mar 24, 2007 IP
  12. clancey

clancey Peon

Best Answers:
    You do not sound like a professional writer. Let me assure you writer's block is real. While I could always spew out words on paper or machine, I have suffered most of my life from writer's block. You are right is saying it reflects "paralysis of analysis" and for me it remains unresolved. Consequently, while I manage to keep words pouring out, I am unable to do the kind of writing that I want because I am immediately paralyzed. For me the killer question was "why".

However, I would agree insofar as non-writers cannot suffer from writer's block. They just can't write, which is entirely different. Because we live with language, we all assume that we are skilled with it. This is as untrue. By analogy, we can all hammer nails or cut wood with a saw, but that does not make us carpenters. It took me years of studying language and years of reading and years with a good editor to develop any competence.

clancey, Mar 24, 2007 IP
  13. integrity

integrity Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hand write on any topic as fast as you can for 10-15 minuets straight. Even if what you write does not make sense... do not stop EVER. It always does the trick for me. :D

integrity, Mar 24, 2007 IP
  14. MattKNC

MattKNC Peon

Best Answers:
    Uh, okay. I only come up #3 in Google's SERPs for article writer.

My point is for writers to simply write and worry about style, nuance, and even content later. Outlines can be good too especially for lengthy works or to hammer out the fine points of the article.

MattKNC, Mar 24, 2007 IP
  15. epublishuk

epublishuk Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I have written (and been published) a fair bit and I often find it easier to produce new stuff on paper with a pen, rather than sitting at a screen.

Something happens in front of the computer (I find) that makes it more difficult to think freely and create. Perhaps it's just me?

Kevin

epublishuk, Mar 24, 2007 IP
  16. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    OK. Before getting deeper in the essence of this thread, I wanted to emphasize on the quote above because it is definitely true - non-writers cannot suffer

from writer's block. Still I don't agree overall with the belief that linguistic education along with years of writing and reading practice are enough to create a

writer. A writer needs to be born a writer, all his/her professional contacts with language later just come as catalysts. Personal opinion.

As for the writer's block - I have some tactics in my arsenal that I find working right - taking notes of any ideas crossing my mind (however, I don't use tape

recorder, find it very weird somehow :)), writing senseless phrases and sentences until I get the meaningful coming, and what helps me much best has been

already mentioned - I don't edit while writing, I just type and then edit. "Just typing" comes of immense help when you need to let that unlimited flow of

creative juices out.;)

turbulence, Mar 27, 2007 IP
  17. shuttle

shuttle Active Member

Best Answers:
    Your writer's block can be caused by paralysis, avoidance behavior, last-minute crisis, writing inability to finish, inability to select from among projects.

To prevent all that I personally think that writers should do some brainstorming and outlining before starting to write. These are 100% the first two things that one should do.

I read a lot of researches and comments on the writer's block. Should we trust them? Yeah, to a certain extent maybe. But here are some not very popular tips and trick that will probably help you overcome this dreaded writer's block.

Talk to a stuffed animal or a cardboard cutout. Explain to them what you're trying to say to the readers.

If there's something, like a particular part of the project that could be finished in an instant, just complete it. This will probably move your work to a forward position.

Another trick that might be of help to you is the "write everything that comes to your mind" trick. Sit down and write almost every single thought that zooms through your head. Do not worry if the things that you have written are gibberish or senseless.

Then you can have a 10 min. walk, take a shower think about stupid stuff, listen to music.

and if these tricks do not help, then .............

shuttle, Mar 27, 2007 IP
  18. deepower

deepower Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm a writer, I don't believe in writer's block. If you are stuck it's because you don't want to write, not because you can't.

Every author has to write about subjects that bore us a little or that we're uncertain of. Start with the most interesting tidbit you have and then expand. Don't use editing as an excuse to stop writing. You can edit later.

Dee

deepower, Mar 27, 2007 IP
  19. DeniseJ

DeniseJ Live, Laugh, Love

Best Answers:
    I do believe in writer's block - but I don't believe it should be used as an excuse to give up for the day.

If you find yourself unable to write, don't immediately force yourself into the process. Get up, go for a short walk, listen to some relaxing music or drink a cup of tea. In other words, do something for a short period that can help get you into "work mode."

Once you've done that, you can either begin working on an outline to figure out what you want to say or simply begin writing. You can always go back and change things later once the "writing juices," so to speak, are flowing.

DeniseJ, Mar 27, 2007 IP
  20. shuttle

shuttle Active Member

Best Answers:
    good tips, Denise. I totally agree on this one :)

shuttle, Mar 28, 2007 IP