1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Works in Firefox, but not IE

Discussion in 'CSS' started by forumposters, Mar 21, 2007.

I have a page that includes several javascript and css files. The page looks great in firefox, but in IE it's not finding images and javascript functions. Can anyone talk about why this might be? What are the differences in the way IE and Firefox work in this way?

forumposters, Mar 21, 2007 IP
  2. Xeoro

Xeoro Peon

Best Answers:
    Any chance you can post the site?

Xeoro, Mar 21, 2007 IP
  3. grusomhat

grusomhat Peon

Best Answers:
    IE's a piece of shit that we unfourtunatly have to make work with sites. But for what your problem is it sounds like it could be more than a browser problem.

Post a url if possible

grusomhat, Mar 23, 2007 IP
  4. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    The guy was last seen online about 1 hour ago.
    I guess he has solved his problem and did not bother updating this thread's status :)

As to the problem possible cause - file path missconfiguration.

Clive, Mar 26, 2007 IP
  5. boyponga

boyponga Banned

Best Answers:
    IE is not good for CSS, that is why I don't use IE that much

boyponga, Mar 27, 2007 IP
  6. jfontestad

jfontestad Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately the vast majority of the population does....

jfontestad, Mar 28, 2007 IP
  7. jared

jared Peon

Best Answers:
    IE is on a totally different rendering engine from the other browsers such as FireFox/Opera, Safari, etc.

If you need help making things compatible cross-browser don't hesitate to ask around. Usually someone among us will have a solution :D

cheers

jared, Mar 28, 2007 IP
  8. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Um, all those others have their own rendering engines, too. Trident for IE, Gecko for the Moz family, somethin' or other for Opera and khtml for Safari and Konqueror. It's just that Trident isn't as good as the others.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Mar 28, 2007 IP
  9. jared

jared Peon

Best Answers:
    Oops should of been more specific. Yes, every browser is on their own engine. And while IE7 is a vast improvement over IE6 capabilities, it still lacks.

Last I heard Safari and Opera (presto engine) actually have the most accurate rendering engines and I believe they are the only two (or were) that pass the Acid2 test.

jared, Mar 28, 2007 IP
  10. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I don't put too much credence in the value of the acid test suite. I still see too many little rendering issues in Opera and Konqueror (same engine as Safari, if a little behind). Opera has the bad habit of rendering differences showing up from build to build. From a pragmatic viewpoint, Firefox seems to be the cream of the crop for development. I do hear that Firefox3 beta has passed, too, but that's of little concern except for bragging rights. :)

For an example of the practical issues, look at How to Mark Up Quotes. The #pageheader works as expected in Firefox and IE, but not in Opera or Konqueror. I and others have gone through the markup and styles without finding any errors, but Opera and Konqueror don't properly handle the float. I'm pretty sure I could work around whatever it is, but don't think I will, unless someone finds an error in my code.

In the blockquote section, Opera doesn't support :after {content: ""}.

In the q section, neither Konqueror nor Opera properly implements nested quotes.

I don't expect any good from IE, but I do from the others. Firefox is the only one that passed the tests on this page, and I've never yet had to make a css happy face. :D

Firefox (Gecko) does have plenty of bugs, but they seem to be mostly of the arcane, esoteric and otherwise seldom met type.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Mar 28, 2007 IP
  11. AdamSee

AdamSee Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A lot of Opera's bugs are caused by lack of specifying widths with floats.

I use opera quite occasionally when it comes to general browsing, due to it's excellent JavaScript latency, especially with the DOM, and also because FF is pinned down with plenty of web development extensions, checking every page, slowing down load times when there's a lot going on.

Firefox is by far the best for rendering.

AdamSee, Mar 29, 2007 IP
  12. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That's what I suspect in both Opera and Safari/Konqueror. Problem is, we should be able to take advantage of the shrink-wrap on undimensioned floats.

Opera is very user friendly. You're right about Firefox getting bogged down. I use a lot of the extensions, and notice the load.

No question. For the developer, Firefox is a requisite prime test bed.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Mar 29, 2007 IP