1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Graphics and Multimedia - Post your skills

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by Design Agent, Jul 31, 2005.

As the Graphics and multimedia section has now been developed a good start would be to list your skills (kind of an intro thread to help everyone see who can do what)..

So ill start
    Main design skills:
    Drawing, Painting, Calligraphy, Print, multimedia and web graphics.

Core Design packages:
    Macromedia studio (flash, fireworks dreamweaver), Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator.

Others
    Swift 3D, Swish, powerpoint, (some others that will probably come to me later too) ;)

Would like to learn/ next
    Photography, 3D animation (3d Studio Max, poser, PRman/Renderman), video editing,

Who's next..

Design Agent, Jul 31, 2005 IP
    GTech likes this.
  2. GTech

GTech Rob Jones for President!

Best Answers:
    I design interactive courseware for companies using Macromedia Authorware. I also create Xtras (Plugins) for Director and Authorware. I've been developing with Authorware for fifteen years. I also do windows development with Delphi and web design (which I seem to be doing more of lately).

Primary skills:
    Macromedia Authorware, Adobe Photoshop, Interface Design

Secondary skills:
    Dreamweaver, PHP, Borland Delphi

Would like to learn:
    Flash, c++

GTech, Jul 31, 2005 IP
    Design Agent likes this.
  3. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Is that it? Only 2 'designers' on dp.. I know there are more of you out there!

Design Agent, Aug 1, 2005 IP
  4. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    I try, but PS, really isn't my strong point - I know how to use all the tools - I'm just no good at drawing or designing ;)

SEbasic, Aug 1, 2005 IP
  5. just-4-teens

just-4-teens Peon

Best Answers:
    Im ok with designing basic stuff on photoshop cs and fireworks mx, im learning PSP.
    I can write webpages either with DW or by handcoding (with notepad etc)

and a bit of topic but still multimedia i can make music etc

just-4-teens, Aug 1, 2005 IP
  6. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    music comes under (multi)media as far as Im concerned.

7. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    I know Paint and PaintShop Pro pretty well. Too bad 99 is the max # of layers in PSP. I'm pretty good at smearing toothpaste on my face as well but wouldn't say that's a 'skill' as such.

I'm outsourcing all design nowadays or let my colleagues do it.

T0PS3O, Aug 1, 2005 IP
  8. Webturtle

Webturtle Guest

Best Answers:
    I've been a graphic designer for 15+ years, 10 of them on the web with 300+ sites behind me. I have a degree in traditional graphic design (pre-digital) and I'm also an artist in the sense that I draw (primarily charcoal and pencil) and sculpt (polymer clay) for my own amusement :)

I have a background in user interface design and usability as well as a ton of experience in information architecture. I work a lot with non-artistic web developers and programmers who want me to skin sites for them - in an ideal world, I develop the architecture, IA blueprints and flow of the site with them and THEN skin it with a home page and template design.

My computer design skills are heavily based on Photoshop - I do a LOT of photo editing for people, and have expert photo collage skills (http://www.digitalphotocollages.com). I'm also pretty adept with Illustrator and Fireworks - more than the average bear, but I don't think I'm an expert.

Many years ago, I won an award for an animation developed in FutureSplash - which was later bought by Macromedia and renamed Flash. But since my clients didn't want to pay for the development of animation, my skills got rusty and I rarely get to use Flash any more. Similarly with 3D - I dabbled in it for a while (anyone remember VRML? hah) and again, no one wanted to pay so I concentrated on what they did want :)

Thats about it for me! Glad we've got this forum now - I'm sure I'll be around a lot !

Webturtle, Aug 1, 2005 IP
    Design Agent likes this.
  9. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    For me, graphic design is like dancing. I only do it because I have to and I'm really not very good.

DA has had the misfortune of seeing some of my graphic design work...he hasn't spoken to me since. :eek:

Although I have gotten pretty good at cutting off people's heads and pasting them on different bodies.

Crazy_Rob, Aug 1, 2005 IP
  10. ladesignz

ladesignz Active Member

Best Answers:
    I started off in this industry designing and I love it - I do a lot of print stuff as well as web.
    The software that I am most proficient in the Complete Adobe Suite and Dreamweaver MX
    Just learning Swish and I love it!
    What I want to learn more of ... Photography and Basic Programming

ladesignz, Aug 1, 2005 IP
  11. WhatiFind

WhatiFind offline

Best Answers:
    Graphics: Adobe Illustrator, Macromedia Fireworks.
    Illustrator is the bomb! I love that program, use it for everything, from internet to print media and more. Fireworks is just really great for gif's and jpeg's. Don't do photo editing so I'm not into photoshop.
    Multimedia: Emagic Audio Logic, wavelab.
    Using logic and midi-keyboards to create music. I made some music in the past for flash movies, did a small commercial and have recorded a record with logic. Wavelab is just for editing wav´s files.
    Programming: Dreamweaver.. What to say more, it´s just a great program!

WhatiFind, Aug 1, 2005 IP
  12. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice posts guys..

Rob, as the most qualified, could you give us all a few pointers ? ;)

13. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not a graphics developer by any stretch of the imagination, but I do pretty well with photoshop and I've just recently began playing with Premiere and After Effects to do some video work for my website. I think I know just enough to be dangerous :)

mopacfan, Aug 1, 2005 IP
  14. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    AfterEffects is the coolest bit of kit out there...

What version of premier are you using? Have you tried Premier Pro? Really nice bit of kit...

(OK, I have played with a bit more than just PS...)

SEbasic, Aug 1, 2005 IP
  15. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    It's premiere pro 1.5 and after effects pro 6 or something like that. I haven't even started with AE. I'm still trying to edit my video and get it to look and transition as I want it to. Now I just have to figure out where to get some cool background music that won't cost a fortune.

mopacfan, Aug 1, 2005 IP
  16. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Library music can be pretty cheap...

Or you could go to some of the free music sites online and get the stuff from there - You'd need to get permission from the artists first though.

SEbasic, Aug 1, 2005 IP
  17. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
  18. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Woah - Nice link DA... Thanks for that :)

SEbasic, Aug 1, 2005 IP
  19. adigitaldreamer

adigitaldreamer Peon

Best Answers:
    Photoshop, Photoshop, Photoshop, and sometimes when I'm in a hurry, Photoshop. ;)

I also use Dreamweaver a load, Freehand (hasn't been getting as much use), Flash (the SEO killer), and C1 software for working with Canon RAW DSLR images.

All of this software, and so much to learn!

Brian

adigitaldreamer, Aug 2, 2005 IP
  20. starmonkey

starmonkey Peon

Best Answers:
    Graphic designer and photgrapher since 1986

10 years doing work on the web, intermixed with some TV and film work.

Photoshop guru, Illustrator, InDesign (when I MUST do print work which I try to avoid), Premiere, After Effects
    Flash & Dreamweaver from Macromedia
    Maya & 3D MAX for 3D stuff, tho sometimes I cheat and use Xara for some quick 3D font stuff.

Basically use Photoshop and Dreamweaver every single day. Looking forward to seeing what Adobe and Macromedia are going to put out once the merger is complete. I'm pretty sure Fireworks will be gone.

Last 2 years have been spent doing online marketing, so I've had other people to hand creative work off to, so to get my fix I've been doing some stuff on my own, freelancing, etc. I really like it when some staff take some time off, then I don't feel so bad doing the creative on my own.

What I'd like to learn: php
    Probably because I'm so cheap I hate paying to have it done right.

starmonkey, Aug 4, 2005 IP