1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Will Google do this?

Discussion in 'Google' started by Perrow, Jul 29, 2005.

Recently (oh well, fairly anyway) we got the sitemap feature to inform G of our pages. In those sitemaps we can assign a number for the importance of the pages. G tells us that this number will be used to decide between similar pages on our site but nothing else. But...

...will they use this information as part of the PR algo? Will a link from a more important page count for more than another less important (same incoming PR assumed)? That is, will your outgoing PR shift from pages marked as "less important" to more "important" pages? This seems like a natural step for me (ie I got the idea why would they not).

I have no idea how this would change our behaviour or strategies. Would it? :confused:

Perrow, Jul 29, 2005 IP
  2. prowess

prowess Guest

Best Answers:
    There are million things goog can do, but it's hard to tell which they use and to what extent.

prowess, Jul 29, 2005 IP
  3. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not so sure I'd leave it up to the webmaster to decide the importance of pages. Everyone will jjust mark their pages as the most important, obviously.

lorien1973, Jul 29, 2005 IP
  4. Perrow

Perrow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    But you can only rank a page in relation to your other pages. You say something like "on this site this page is twice as important as the other pages".

Perrow, Jul 29, 2005 IP
  5. forkqueue

forkqueue Guest

Best Answers:
    It would seem to make sense to me for Google to add this into their big algo melting pot. It probably won't be as highly ranked as other factors, but could be used to determine the landing page when there are several similar pages on a site.

forkqueue, Jul 30, 2005 IP
  6. Jim_Westergren

Jim_Westergren Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hmm this was an interesting question.

But as only a very small percantage of webmasters has this I don't think they can integrate variables from it in a big system like the PageRank.

When I submitted I made all pages 0.5, the important ones (index etc.) 1.0 and the not so important 0.1. I actually think it is a smart move of Google.

Jim_Westergren, Jul 30, 2005 IP
  7. charless

charless Banned

Best Answers:
    If this is what you're referring to then no:

https://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/docs/en/faq.html#rank

7. Will participating in this program change my pages' ranking in Google search results?

No. Using Google Sitemaps will not influence your PageRank; there will be no change in how we calculate the ranking of your pages.

charless, Jul 30, 2005 IP
  8. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    again, why would you make a page on your site less important than any other page? they are all of equal importance, i guess.

lorien1973, Jul 30, 2005 IP
  9. forkqueue

forkqueue Guest

Best Answers:
    Not really, some pages may make much more sense as landing pages than others - something friendly with easy navagation, rather than a technical specifications sheet for example.

forkqueue, Jul 30, 2005 IP
  10. ziandra

ziandra Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My understanding is that the ranking affects the crawl rate and nothing else. And yes, I would expect them to normalize the numbers for you. So, if you set them ALL to 1.0, they would normalize them ALL to 0.5. Those of us who set our normally changing pages to 0.5, the rarely to .1 and the rapidly changing ones to 1.0 would actually derive some benefit from it. Those who set them all to MAX, GIMME, GIMME would get nothing from it.

ziandra, Jul 31, 2005 IP
  11. chrisranjana.com

chrisranjana.com Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think it is good to give a higher rating of importance to pages which change often

chrisranjana.com, Aug 1, 2005 IP
  12. pcdoc

pcdoc Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think it is good to give a higher rating of importance to pages which change often

you may be right, but maybe your 'home', index, port-of-entry page deserves a 1.0

after all, that page is probably the hierarchical first link in the chain

pcdoc, Aug 1, 2005 IP