1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is there A DMOZ Editor that can give me an idea?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by LeoSeo, Mar 20, 2007.

About a category(under World) i found out there's an editor made a single page spam website to build around his category and added it. The page really doesn't meet the requirements of DMOZ, i mean it's so obvious you have no idea, and he's not adding any more sites eversince.

Anyways, i reported this as abuse, posted in resource-zone, contacted top level editors about it, informed many people around the niche etc. And nothing happens, they all know about this, they even say they opened an abuse report about it and it's closed(i can't see the result). Anyway that editor and his spam website is still there.

Isn't he supposed to be banned for promoting his own website? If you say "can you proof it's his website?" I already did, including domain whois information. So i believe top level editors just ignore this because they watch each other's backs simply b/c that's what they all do, nothing to be surprised about. Is there anywhere to apply somewhere but that never-responding staff@ add.? Or any meta's around here?

If somebody looks into this, that'd be cool.

Ty

LeoSeo, Mar 20, 2007 IP
  2. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    That's too vague, it would help if you would share details.

compostannie, Mar 20, 2007 IP
    LeoSeo and maldives like this.
  3. LeoSeo

LeoSeo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    PM'ed you with details, i can't know whether he follows this forum or not so better not publish too many details for now to avoid him being aware.

LeoSeo, Mar 20, 2007 IP
  4. Cypherus

Cypherus Peon

Best Answers:
    Why do you care so much about DMOZ? That directory is dying..

Cypherus, Mar 20, 2007 IP
  5. LeoSeo

LeoSeo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I wish it was dead by now, but it's still important esp. for G, still causing somewhat double standards so i care. I would like to compete with people who actually spend time on their websites not people who became editors and add their their crappy sites(like this 1) or ppl who bribe to get listed.

LeoSeo, Mar 20, 2007 IP
  6. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Ivan Bajlo, Mar 20, 2007 IP
  7. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    That thread is in an unofficial forum that most editors, including the meta types, never go to. It is not an indication of the languages understood by metas.

8. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I think you are confusing dmoz-resource-zone with resource-zone.

If you check here: Open Directory Editing Guidelines] you'll see there is a link to RZ making it rather official...

And if it is not a fair representation of the editors in general maybe it should be disassembled or revamped like much of rest of the ODP needs to be
    Q

Qryztufre, Mar 20, 2007 IP
  9. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Going to the link you provided it's easy to see why you would think resource-zone is the official forum for the ODP, but trust me, it's not.

Check out the footer on every page of resource-zone.com and you will see:
    Also see the Resource-Zone guidelines:
    It's not official. Go there and ask, they'll tell you.

10. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Sooo.... the only official support is behind closed doors]...

the ODP is more snobbish then I thought.

I find it strange that a place claiming to be an asset is so shut off from the rest of the world. It's no wonder so many folks are unhappy with it...there is no official way to have ones voice heard.

Sad, truly sad...

11. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, that sure is a pessimistic way of looking at it. A more optimistic person might say that the Resource-Zone is more friendly than they need to be. ;)

12. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Except that would be just wrong... :eek:

minstrel, Mar 20, 2007 IP
  13. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    There is a joke out there about engineers revolving around whether the glass is half full or half empty. The engineers answer was "The glass is the wrong size". For the last 6 months I've looked at the ODP with an open mind, or at least have tried too. But I look around and am seeing more complaints then praise. This, to me, says SOMETHING is wrong.

I've been to RZ, I found them helpful enough to answer a few of my questions, but now that I know the answers may or may not have been accurate (because it's not official) I'm just completely turned off by it and the entire process.

With all the secrecy and dealings behind closed doors it's really no wonder people think the place is corrupt (and/or dying) we, on the outside, have no way of knowing...accept of course by "unofficial word".

(Some say a glass is half full some say it is half empty An engineer says you got the wrong size glass.)

14. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm sorry Qryztufre, I was just having a little fun with you. Now I feel like I'm the one who told you there is no Santa Claus or Easter Bunny. :(

Maybe the glass just needs to be refilled?

15. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    I thought so too...but heh, after my last few posts I'm pretty sure my application won't be in the glass ;)

(and actually, it was just a mood I woke up with today, my other rant was posted before your post above, sorry for blaming you)

16. LeoSeo

LeoSeo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well if every editor was as helpful as Annie, i guess no1'd would complain/bitch about things(except those who bitch about everything without needing a reason)

Thanks for helping me.

LeoSeo, Mar 20, 2007 IP
  17. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    She certainly is a breath of fresh air isn't she ;)

Qryztufre, Mar 21, 2007 IP
  18. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Careful, my head might swell. :D

Seriously, editing at the ODP is a hobby, it's supposed to be fun. I really enjoy my hobby but if you take any other approach to it you're going to end up disappointed that it isn't what you wish it would be or do.

Today is my 6 year anniversary with ODP. YAY!!!

compostannie, Mar 21, 2007 IP
  19. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    I heard she isn't even pure human but a half husky, that is why she is so friendly and (can't say that in public or I might get into trouble)... :D

'bout time they remove you for not letting other editors do some work you editcount junky. :p

Ivan Bajlo, Mar 21, 2007 IP
  20. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    And those who try to be helpful (especially noobs) get kicked out cause they failed to do suck ups to evil metas.

But can you pm me the detail
    of the editor maybe will post something on my forums hopefully that will help . I heard mosta is now trying to be nice cause she is getting tired and feels sad that so many people bitch at her and call her evil meta. Non of the Canadians are evil , they are the nicest folks, so i hope she lives upto that image, right now its only "oh bad mosta/motsa(i dunno care how u spell her name i shall call her eMM (evil meta mosta) from now on)" "oh she sucks" etc is what falls upon my deaf ears. :D

paidhosting, Mar 21, 2007 IP