1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

choosing the right dedicated web host

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by miktor, Mar 18, 2007.

hi, i am ready to make the switch from shared hosting to dedicated and am looking for the best host. by best host i mean reliability, storage, speed, bandwith, and all of that for a good price. please help me find a good host i would really appreciate it:)

miktor, Mar 18, 2007 IP
  2. WiredTree Zac

WiredTree Zac Peon

Best Answers:
    If you could provide more information on what you are looking for, it would be helpful. Are you an expert systems admin who is going to be setting up everything on your own, or do you need the company to manage the server for you so it is like your shared account? What location do you want the server in? Any idea on what kind of specs you are looking for?

WiredTree Zac, Mar 19, 2007 IP
  3. miktor

miktor Peon

Best Answers:
    i am not that advanced so having it like my shared hosting would be the right choice for me. also, i am planning to use the server for proxies. i am located in los angeles so a datacenter in LA would be fine i guess.

miktor, Mar 19, 2007 IP
  4. agnivo007

agnivo007 Peon

Best Answers:
    Then you definitely need managed services or hire some system admin when something goes wrong.

agnivo007, Mar 19, 2007 IP
  5. miktor

miktor Peon

Best Answers:
    i thought dedicated hosting was that they set up a server for you, give you root access to it, give you a admin panel (cpanel, plesk, etc.) and you are able to control it with the admin panel. am i wrong? if there is an admin panel i can handel it and i have seen the options to add it on to the server plan at checkout.

miktor, Mar 19, 2007 IP
  6. agnivo007

agnivo007 Peon

Best Answers:
    control panel is ok (hey, it's just like another application on your PC)
    But what about if there are some system level maintenance to be done or some system files are corrupted?
    What if some upgrade to base packages are needed ? Security hardening, firewalling and other system level tasks? Are you able to do it yourself? Say, the system has gone down due to some OS error and a reload is needed...a system admin or managed service takes care of that.

agnivo007, Mar 19, 2007 IP
    miktor likes this.
  7. miktor

miktor Peon

Best Answers:
    so hosts dont do that kind of stuff? wow this is much more complicated than i thought. i'll see what i can work out ill make a few calls to some hosts tomorrow and ask a few questions. thank you very much for your help though! :)

miktor, Mar 20, 2007 IP
    agnivo007 likes this.
  8. agnivo007

agnivo007 Peon

Best Answers:
    welcome...it feels good to help. :)

agnivo007, Mar 20, 2007 IP
  9. WiredTree Zac

WiredTree Zac Peon

Best Answers:
    Some hosts do that kind of stuff, many don't. I would suggest looking into "Managed" or better "Fully Managed" hosting. Definitely ask a lot of questions about what your prospective host will do and if there will be any fees for it, as well as turnaround time.

WiredTree Zac, Mar 20, 2007 IP
  10. itrana123

itrana123 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes i am agree with you Miktor, its a very suitable option and if you can hire an Advanced Administrator to manage your web server for you. its pretty helpfull in case of any major problem.

itrana123, Mar 21, 2007 IP
  11. jessica12

jessica12 Peon

Best Answers:
    Go to webhostingtalk & you'll find a lot of dedicated servers review :)
    good luck

jessica12, Mar 23, 2007 IP