1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Has anyone tried to submit to DMOZ lately?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by alexei_aus, Mar 12, 2007.

1. copperdrum

copperdrum Peon

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is only as important as any other quality link, nothing more. If a site is accepted you will be able to see it yourself in the category. There is nothing positive that would come from notifying a submitter that their suggestion was not accepted.

copperdrum, Mar 19, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  2. LeoSeo

LeoSeo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Paid directories doesnt care about quality, they care about whether the payment is completed or not that's all, nothing different with DMOZ :D

LeoSeo, Mar 19, 2007 IP
  3. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    LeoSeo your post doesn't make any sense at all. Can you clarify for us?

compostannie, Mar 19, 2007 IP
  4. kkibak

kkibak Peon

Best Answers:
    The trick, IMO, is to find a category that has active editors... you can tell by looking for pages w/newly approved sites. Still, it's kind of hit or miss--some editors will be your competition and approvals can be hard to come by.

I think he's referring to 'donating' to dmoz editors.

kkibak, Mar 19, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  5. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    It's always wiser to find the one best category for your site and submit it there. Many, many editors edit in categories that have no listed editor or that haven't been touched in awhile. Often we'll go through a category and do the work that's waiting then move on to another area.

If the only reason you submit to a category is because there's been recent editorial activity then you're goal will not be met. The submission could sit there for quite a long time before an editor gets back to that category and once they do they'll have to move your site to the proper category where it will sit for an undetermined amount of time waiting for another editor to go to work in the new category. Hopefully the first editor moved your site to the right category or there will be another move and another wait.

It's much better for everyone if you just submit properly to begin with.

If that's what he means then he's still not making sense. Attempting a donation to an editor is more likely to get a site banned if you approach a real editor. If you're lucky you might accidentally make your donation to a scammer who will steal your money but not have the ability to ban the site. There are thieves on the Internet who would be happy to pose as an editor and take your money.

compostannie, Mar 19, 2007 IP
    kkibak likes this.
  6. LeoSeo

LeoSeo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Too many corruptions going on with DMOZ, where decent editors became exceptions.
    That's what i'm talking about ;)

LeoSeo, Mar 19, 2007 IP
  7. kkibak

kkibak Peon

Best Answers:
    Ah, of course--sorry if it sounded as if I were suggesting that... I didn't mean to.

What I meant was if there are 2-3 equally relevant categories for your site, it might help to go with the one that has the most editorial activity. I certainly wouldn't advise submitting to an irrelevant or even loosely relevant category--of course the editor, even if active, would probably just reject your site for being inappropriate to the category.

kkibak, Mar 19, 2007 IP
  8. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't agree, I've been with DMOZ for a long time and find the opposite to be true. Can you show us proof of your claim?

compostannie, Mar 20, 2007 IP
  9. krzyk

krzyk Peon

Best Answers:
    I submitted my site to dmoz about 8 months ago, still waiting for approval...

I once heard it is a good way to be included in dmoz by becoming an editor, don't know if it's true

krzyk, Mar 20, 2007 IP
  10. LeoSeo

LeoSeo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Proof of claim? Can you show me yours? lol.
    Bribes are made secretly, you can rarely find proofs, but results give the idea.

I think DMOZ being a paid spam directory is like obvious, but i can say this you can say the opposite, which leads us to nowhere. Let everybody make its own judgement.

If you expect people believe all DMOZ editors work for free and for "directory charity", ok believe in that, i certainly know it's a big lie. But i understand dmoz editors never accept this, since DMOZ should be known as a quality directory without any doubts so they can go on making money.

LeoSeo, Mar 20, 2007 IP
  11. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    krzyk, if you're referring to the site in your profile it's not listable. Sorry.

For proof of claim I have 6 years of experience. You show a tired old link to an old blog that's written by someone anonymous who claims to be corrupt. There isn't even any way to confirm that blog was written by an editor or ex-editor. If it was written by an ex-editor the fact that they are an ex-editor is proof that corrupt editors are removed. Still leaves open the probability that they were never an editor at all or they'd give their editor name to lend credibility to the article, don't you think?

I could write an anonymous article that says LeoSeo eats live kittens for breakfast each morning, but it wouldn't make it true. :rolleyes:

compostannie, Mar 20, 2007 IP
  12. LeoSeo

LeoSeo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    no it wouldn't... but... maybe it would.... :cool:

-Come here you lil.. dont!

LeoSeo, Mar 20, 2007 IP
  13. kittyluver

kittyluver Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I've submitted two months back and listed last week in this category...
    Recreation/Pets/Birds/Species/Parrots/Lovebirds/

But my other three sites submitted loooong back (one and half years), but not yet listed...

kittyluver, Mar 20, 2007 IP
  14. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    kittyluver, you showed either great courage or great foolishness in posting right after a confirmed kitty-eater-for-breakfast :eek:

minstrel, Mar 20, 2007 IP
  15. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Would it improve chance of editor taking a look if I sent dozens of good submission with quality description to single category? Or nobody would dare touching anything I submit. ;)

Ivan Bajlo, Mar 20, 2007 IP