1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

In and out of top 10 SERPS

Discussion in 'Google' started by Thijsiano, Mar 18, 2007.

Hi all,

One site of me has been showing some weird movements in the SERPS the last week (at least, they're weird to me). The site is pretty new (has been indexed for tow months), and moved up in the SERPS for one keyword pretty fast.. Since it entered the top ten, it stayed there untill it reached #2 position. It stayed at position 2 for a while, but since a week I've noticed that some nights (or days) my site suddenly drops back to the bottom of page 4 for instance.. Then, a day (or two) after, it's suddenly back in the top ten again.. And now it's out again.

Is this a clear example of Google's Sandbox or is it something else; maybe a (temporary) penalty? By the way; there hasn't really been a change in the amount of pages that Google indexed. It's been fluctuating around 11.000 the whole time..

Love to hear your comments/experience.

Thijsiano, Mar 18, 2007 IP
  2. wibr

wibr Peon

Best Answers:
    Welcome to Google! :) Since your site is new your gonna see lots of fluctuations in rankings. Once it's older you'll... umm... you'll see lots of fluctuations in rankings.

But then when it's really old you'll see... uuhhh. Yeah you know.

wibr, Mar 19, 2007 IP
  3. Thijsiano

Thijsiano Peon

Best Answers:
    Haha, thanks. I got enthousiast to early.. But my site was ranked #2 for several weeks. And now it's back to page 5.

What can I conclude from this? Is this the 'real' position I've been 'awarded' and should I get more (quality) backlinks and optimize more or will I be moved back to the top ten within a few days/weeks (and will more optimizing maybe even harm my position)?

Thanks again!

Thijsiano, Mar 19, 2007 IP
  4. khasmoth

khasmoth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just don't use black hat techniques and you'll be fine..

khasmoth, Mar 19, 2007 IP
  5. Bagi Zoltán

Bagi Zoltán Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sandbox can be usually shortened with powerfull links from trusted (old) sites. It is possible that nice link shelped you to gain the #2 position, but that links could be removed so your site dropped back. All you have to do is to be patient and increase the link popularity for the desired keywords, keyphrases.

Bagi Zoltán, Mar 19, 2007 IP
  6. Thijsiano

Thijsiano Peon

Best Answers:
    Ah ok. I think it is actually true that some links were removed. But they must have been 'reaaaaally' trusted then, since i'm now listed at page 5.

I guess links from other sites within the top ten for the target keyword(s) would be trusted sites right?

Anyways; I'll continue my search for good (trusted) backlinks. Thanks all.

Thijsiano, Mar 19, 2007 IP
  7. skionxb

skionxb Peon

Best Answers:
    fluctuation in Google is normal. Build more links to secure your positions!

skionxb, Mar 19, 2007 IP
  8. Janna122003

Janna122003 Banned

Best Answers:
    I think the changes is because of different datacenter. Maybe the results came from different datacenter.

Janna122003, Mar 20, 2007 IP
  9. Thijsiano

Thijsiano Peon

Best Answers:
    Janna, so this means that all the datacenters 'synchronized' their databases now, and this is the ranking/position i'm supposed to get/be at?

Thijsiano, Mar 20, 2007 IP